Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2004 7:06:52 PM EDT
This may be the best value in swords today.

CRISWELL CUSTOM WAKIZASHI 14" AND 20"

Featured in Blade Magazine, and highly acclaimed, Rob Criswell offers another line of his custom swords. Each Sword Sold Separately.

FEATURES:
• All Swords are Individually Hand Made
• Full Tang Construction of A2 Steel
• Differentially Vacuum Heat Treated to Hardness
 of 60-61RC on Edge, 56-58RC on Back
• Hand Ground - Hollow Ground Blade
• Stainless Steel Tsuba
• 550 Para Cord Handle Wrap
• Stainless Steel and G10 End Cap
• Scabbard is Constructed of G-10

MEASUREMENTS:
14" WAKIZASHI
• Blade Length: 14"
• Handle Length: 6 1/2""
• Overall Length: 21"
• Blade Width: 1 1/4" Tapered
• Blade Thickness: 1/4"

20" WAKIZASHI
• Blade Length: 20"
• Handle Length: 7 1/2"
• Overall Length: 27"
• Blade Width: 1 1/2" Tapered

A2 is GREAT steel. Very hard and easy to get razor sharp.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that 20" model would make a good zombie whacker! I have to have one now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
pointy!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
How much $$ ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice sword bro, shitty grip though
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would you want TWO short swords?  Why not a wakizashi short sword and a regular-length katana?

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I am replacing my auto (lost in the line off duty) with one from 888 knives. Seem to be very good prices.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Kewl kitchen knives

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Uh, how much do they cost doofus?

Great value, your post I mean.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Kewl kitchen knives

They DO look like freakishly long kitchen knives with something wrapped around the handle.     (the curve on the "longer" one doesn't look quite right either).

clean_cut - you might try searching under "iaido swords" or "iaido supplies" to find some nice wakizashi/katana swords
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
img65.exs.cx/img65/452/azumi_big4.jpg

That's sooooo cool !!!!    
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's sooooo cool !!!!    

It was a good movie.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It was a good movie.

Don't get me wrong - it looks like a movie I might enjoy!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a good movie.

Don't get me wrong - it looks like a movie I might enjoy!  

Not easy to find to rent.

Here is the movie. The sequel is coming Spring 2005. The Last Samurai this is not.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#17]
From the picture it looks like 1 long peice of steel and a rubber cover for the grip with the crossgaurd welded on.
Not a bad setup by any means, but I wonder how well the grip fits into the hand.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
From the picture it looks like 1 long peice of steel and a rubber cover for the grip with the crossgaurd welded on.
Not a bad setup by any means, but I wonder how well the grip fits into the hand.

Paracord wrapped grip. You can change it to suit you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Those knives rock, dude. I saw a guy on TV cut a package of frozen brussel sprouts clean in half with one. I think they are supposed to come with a set of steak knives too, so don't let 'em fuck you out of them when you cut the deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Those knives rock, dude. I saw a guy on TV cut a package of frozen brussel sprouts clean in half with one. I think they are supposed to come with a set of steak knives too, so don't let 'em fuck you out of them when you cut the deal.

FU
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still not quite sure what you are looking for, but if it a japanes "sword" like a katana, it's probably going to have a blade at least 27" long - and the handle needs to be long enough to hold comfortably with BOTH hands - that paracord wrapped thing in the picture doesn't look like it covers enough room on the handle for both hands.  (The wakisashi is fine, since you only hold it with one hand).  Normally, you'd also want to be able to take the tsuba and tsuka (guard and handle) off, not have it be one pice or welded on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the one on the left!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
This is what you REALLY need.

http://www.angelsword.com/photos/oriental/as013-156a.JPG

Weight: 3 pounds, 12 ounces
POB: 6 inches
LOA: 36 5/8 inches
LOB: 27 inches
Steel: Folded-steel with 320,000 layers
Finish: High polish with hamon
Blade Width - Hilt: 1 inch, Tip: 3/16 inches
Blade Thickness: 1/4 inches
Handle: Stingray skin, silk wrap, with minuki and carnelian
Guard: Traditional tsuba
Scabbard: Tulipwood and ebony laminate

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still not quite sure what you are looking for, but if it a japanes "sword" like a katana, it's probably going to have a blade at least 27" long - and the handle needs to be long enough to hold comfortably with BOTH hands - that paracord wrapped thing in the picture doesn't look like it covers enough room on the handle for both hands.  (The wakisashi is fine, since you only hold it with one hand).  Normally, you'd also want to be able to take the tsuba and tsuka (guard and handle) off, not have it be one pice or welded on.

Look, this thing is less than $500. It's not a $5000+ sword, so I ain't going to ask a lot of it. You get what you pay for. But the steel is good.

I have a knife in A2, and it is so sharp the edge will bite.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#26]
LOLOL  I forgot about that video!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, this thing is less than $500. It's not a $5000+ sword, so I ain't going to ask a lot of it. You get what you pay for. But the steel is good.

I have a knife in A2, and it is so sharp the edge will bite.

I understand, and I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything - but it seems like you really like the LOOK as well as the FEEL of a more traditional japanese sword, and you can definitely get iaido sets and other types of swords that look "authentic" but are not obscenely priced.

Keep in mind that I'm NOT an expert on iaido at all (I'm more of a kendo person), and some iaido swords are designed for katas only (often the cheaper ones), while others are designed for cutting actual things.  But I'd definitely look at some of those if I were you - because I get the impression that some of that stuff can also be had for $500.

swordstore.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/02nav/1jpsword.html

www.e-bogu.com/Iai_s/59.htm

www.mantisswords.com/practical_katanas.htm

I don't know much about steel quality, etc - but some of these don't look too pricey.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Any instance where a use of one of these swords would be effective in home defense?

They make an excellent CQC weapon, no?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Any instance where a use of one of these swords would be effective in home defense?

Again - please don't feel like I'm picking on you or anything - I'm just bored and surfing arfcom, but because I practice kendo, I do know something about this.

I would NEVER reach for a sword for self-defense.  And my sensei considers me a shodan (black belt) in kendo (this is after YEARS of training).  I'd think you'd have to be extremely proficient with a sword to be any good in a CQ situation with it, and it is somewhat unwieldy, and can get stuck in stuff (like people) - and you are immediately screwed as soon as the opponent has ANY kind of long-range weapon.  The term "bringing a knife to a gun-fight" springs to mind - not a good situation to be a the wrong end of.

I will reach for a handgun EVERY TIME I'm in need of home defense.   From my infantry experience, a submachine-gun is the BEST CQ weapon, probably followed by handgun or a short-barrelled shotgun, followed by a select-fire rifle, followed by a semi rifle.  Until you asked this question, I woudl never even seriously have thought of a sword as an CQ weapon.

Just my OPINION, nothing more - not trying to pick on you.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again - please don't feel like I'm picking on you or anything - I'm just bored and surfing arfcom, but because I practice kendo, I do know something about this.

I would NEVER reach for a sword for self-defense.  And my sensei considers me a shodan (black belt) in kendo (this is after YEARS of training).  I'd think you'd have to be extremely proficient with a sword to be any good in a CQ situation with it, and it is somewhat unwieldy, and can get stuck in stuff (like people) - and you are immediately screwed as soon as the opponent has ANY kind of long-range weapon.  The term "bringing a knife to a gun-fight" springs to mind - not a good situation to be a the wrong end of.

I will reach for a handgun EVERY TIME I'm in need of home defense.   From my infantry experience, a submachine-gun is the BEST CQ weapon, probably followed by handgun or a short-barrelled shotgun, followed by a select-fire rifle, followed by a semi rifle.  Until you asked this question, I woudl never even seriously have thought of a sword as an CQ weapon.

Just my OPINION, nothing more - not trying to pick on you.

Well, the sword is good for maybe certain situations only.

You would need the element of surprise with you. And the first stroke has to be the killing or incapacitating stroke. And only with a single intruder. Just musing as I have no martial arts experience.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You would need the element of surprise with you. And the first stroke has to be the killing or incapacitating stroke. And only with a single intruder. Just musing as I have no martial arts experience.

Yeah - but the element of surprise might make a "self-defense" argument in court tougher to sell

"Your honor, I hid behind the door, and then I chopped his head off from behind"  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah - but the element of surprise might make a "self-defense" argument in court tougher to sell

"Your honor, I hid behind the door, and then I chopped his head off from behind"  

A gun in hand or drugs in the blood stream would clear the sword wielder. Of course he should be identified first as a hostile before the death blow.

Anyway, but that is academic.

I looked at the Iaito swords. Many of them have blades that made of aluminum/zinc alloy - strictly for practice and decor and not for cutting. At least the ones I am willing to pay for.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I looked at the Iaito swords. Many of them have blades that made of aluminum/zinc alloy - strictly for practice and decor and not for cutting. At least the ones I am willing to pay for.

Yeah - you definitely do not want any of the ones that are meant just for katas, if you want to be able to cut stuff with them.  The aluminum/zinc ones are not even sharpened.

But I thought some of the ones I saw on some of those sites were solid steel and sharpened, and were still jsut around the $500 range for a katana/wakisashi set.

Either way - good luck with whatever you get!  It's always fun to get into new things, whether guns, or swords or knives - or cars or whatever!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow those sure are nice and shiney!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#35]
A2 at that hardness becomes brittle.  It would probably snap if you accidentaly hit something hard with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A2 at that hardness becomes brittle.  It would probably snap if you accidentaly hit something hard with it.

Interesting point.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I prefer something a bit more "Beefy"

My choice
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

img95.exs.cx/img95/7591/criswell_wakizashis.jpg

CRISWELL CUSTOM WAKIZASHI 14" AND 20"

Featured in Blade Magazine, and highly acclaimed, Rob Criswell offers another line of his custom swords. Each Sword Sold Separately.

FEATURES:
• All Swords are Individually Hand Made
• Full Tang Construction of A2 Steel
• Differentially Vacuum Heat Treated to Hardness
 of 60-61RC on Edge, 56-58RC on Back
• Hand Ground - Hollow Ground Blade
• Stainless Steel Tsuba
• 550 Para Cord Handle Wrap
• Stainless Steel and G10 End Cap
• Scabbard is Constructed of G-10

MEASUREMENTS:
14" WAKIZASHI
• Blade Length: 14"
• Handle Length: 6 1/2""
• Overall Length: 21"
• Blade Width: 1 1/4" Tapered

20" WAKIZASHI
• Blade Length: 20"
• Handle Length: 7 1/2"
• Overall Length: 27"
• Blade Width: 1 1/2" Tapered

A2 is GREAT steel. Very hard and easy to get razor sharp.

Very cool! Are you looking for a sword to fall on?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Are you made at your boss?  If so I know a guy that makes swords.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

who through coolaid on this girl's face
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#41]
You do know that men with a fascination with sword are usually compensating right?

Right?

Oh well..........

sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I prefer something a bit more "Beefy"

My choice

I have one of those.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here's a better deal

I love that video, what the bastard gets for selling cheap shit to the public, dam crook.

Haha

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought these Nipper swords and associated swordy bullshit went out in 1945.

When I was a kid I had an old crotchety pale alcoholic neighbor (Sempr Fi!!) that had a beautiful samurai sword.  It looked handmade by somebody that cared about 900 years ago.  'Course I was a kid, so maybe it was just a garden variety WWII officers sword, but it looked  uber cool to me.

Anyway, the point of the story is this:  He took it off a dead Jap officer that was killed with weapons, not out of date toys.

M-1 versus Jap sword = dead Jap.  I would suspect that AR15 versus imitation Jap sword would end the same.

Edited to add:  Before the PCers take me to task, I'd like to quote Harry Truman, August 1945:  "Fuck the Japs".

I've spent a lot of time in Japan, I like lots of those folks, but fuck 'em in their Nihonjin necks none the less.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#46]
but is it a +1 sword?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#47]
In my two years at Scheel's (compare to cabella's but with more guns) I've dealt with alot of "sword collectors" and my conclusion is that you are all a bunch of wierd dudes.  I learned more about "real" samuri swords than I will ever need to know in my lifeteime.  But oh well, just spent the last few hours having a "few" cocktails and thought I would chip in my 2 cents worth.  Oh yeah, I like to type in "quotes"  word.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
In my two years at Scheel's (compare to cabella's but with more guns) I've dealt with alot of "sword collectors" and my conclusion is that you are all a bunch of wierd dudes.  I learned more about "real" samuri swords than I will ever need to know in my lifeteime.  But oh well, just spent the last few hours having a "few" cocktails and thought I would chip in my 2 cents worth.  Oh yeah, I like to type in "quotes"  word.

It's "okay"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#49]
You don't play D&D, do you?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You don't play D&D, do you?

No. I just want one to cut my tomatoes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top