Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 4:51:59 PM EDT
A good friend of mine and myself are trying to open a drum shop.  What i need from any of you is some advice on what products we should get.  He is percussion major and is friends with some of the major companies.  DW, Paiste, and Vater sticks.  DW approached him years back trying to get him to open up a shop.  We are in the works with Vater right now.  He knows some people at Paiste that might be able to hook us up.  I dont know how it will all play out but so far it sounds promising.

If any one that has an idea or that is a drummer and could provide some help or ideas i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Will
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
would you sell only drums?

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
ask the_kill
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to be a smartass, but how many drums do you need in Nebraska, population 1,730,000 souls?
Seems a little narrow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I really hope that it works. Just remember, its better to be a washed up has-been, than a no good never-was.

It's a tough way to make a living, I know.....seriously.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to be a smartass, but how many drums do you need in Nebraska, population 1,730,000 souls?
Seems a little narrow.

no shit...you might as well start the bankrupsy right now.  Also Drums arnt really a renewable market: meaning you wont have many repeat customers because once someone has a drum kit...they wont need another one for several years or ever again.

Broaden your market...online sales, guitars...etc and more etc
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Well you definitely need to get one of these badboys...

...!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
www.drumcenter.com/fea1096.html

www.rogersdrums.com    <-------this link will work but they are offline right now.

The best hardware bar none.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen drums only stores but they were all huge.  Plus DW and Paiste are high end products.  As much as it hurts you need Pearl and Yamaha and.....and....

then you can fail BIG!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Topless salesladies may help bring in customers. Maybe get a liquor license too, sell beer.

Oh, WTF, just open a titty bar. They never fail.

You could still play the drums.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah i really dont know how it will play out.  We are on the western part of the state.  We are hoping to bring in customers from eastern Wyoming and Colorado.  The nearest decent drum shop is in Denver.  As far as repeat customers on drum sets thats probably few and far between, but cymbals sticks and other accessories one could get repeats.  Cymbals crack or wear out and sticks break easily.  We were trying to get a few electronic drums in the store.  I guess the one gimmick we might have is that my friend is a drum instructor, and we can give lessons right in the store.  

As far as brands are concerned, we are trying to get as many as possible involved.  All the cymbal brands, DW as the high end drum and Pacific as the lower.  Possibly Yamaha and Gretche.  Hopefully Vater will come through. The other stick manufacturers are fairly easy to come by.

I guess its a dream but may not be a reality.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Will,
I don't know where your located but most cities can't support a drums only store, and if your in Omaha you would have to compete with Joe Voda. You also would have to sink alot of money into a shop to get it started and most banks don't think musical instruments are a very stable market. Also don't expect to turn a real profit for a while. Then you will have alot of people come in but never buy. Then there is the people who show up and play with everything they possibly can then they tell you they can get it online or somewhere else cheaper. You'll have alot of fun pulling your hair out. Having your own shop isn't fun or easy. Just be prepared for when the market in your aera dries up and then you can't keep the shop open. I wish you luck but just make sure your prepared for the worse. Then again I dealt with vintage guitars for a while and that was very touch and go. It never turned out how I wanted. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll take a hundred round ak drum, and one for my ar too,,
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]

You could always expand and add cowbells.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#16]
The number one mistake I see many new business owners making is assuming that the market is made up of people like them.

My prediction..... you will end up being a shop that people come to try out the drums, then go home and order it for $50 less online.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Not enough cowbell!

Need more cowbell!!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]
You're not going to make it in a market that size. Even if you are on the border with another state. They're still smaller states.

Plus you're talking about selling the high end stuff. How many people are going to spring for a DW set, or even care if they're buying a DW where you are?

It's kind of like opening a gun shop in hawaii and all you sell are .50 cal rifles. You're starting with a small market and making it smaller by limiting product selection to just drums.

Are you going to get a loan? The start up costs are going to be huge with high-end drum and cymbals and getting them into inventory and on the showroom floor.

I think your only hope of survival is to HEAVILY invest in doing it online. Then you could survive doing only drums / percussion, and base your operations out of your showroom. That will give you the cash flow you need to do fun, extravagent things, like pay rent and buy food.

And you're going to have to be agressive and get into the low end / starter kits. That's where your volume will be (all the new kids wanting drum sets) plus it builds up a client base if they stick with it (no pun intended) and want to upgrade later.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking that too. I've never seen a "Drums Only" store. I would guess there is a reason for that.

I would suggest expanding into all instruments as well (although I am a drummer).   Are there any Guitar Centers or Sam Ash music stores out there?  These chains seem to have taken over the Philadelphia area.  Mom and Pop stores are feeling the pain.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Drum inventory for your shop:

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Are there any colleges or high schools with marching bands that are nearby?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking that too. I've never seen a "Drums Only" store. I would guess there is a reason for that.

There was a drums only store in Oklahoma City  (metro population over 1 million) and it didn't make it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top