Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 1:16:26 PM EDT
I've often heard people refering to ARs having HIGH tolerances, and AKs having LOW tolerances...

Shouldn't it be reversed? ARs are tighter and therefore have little play or "low" tolarances. AKs are the other way around.

What am I missing here?

ETA: To prevent the age old flame war between AK and AR reliability, I just want to point out that I'm asking a question purely based on WORDING. I'm not asking which one is more reliable as we all know exactly which one that is...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll save Campy the trouble... its not tolerences its clearences that are different between the AR and AK.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah, he's right.  AKs tolerate a lot fo crap.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If something is manufactured with low tolerances (ie: +/- .010") more care must be taken in making the parts.  If something is made with high tolernaces you can usually just take a hammer to the offending part until it starts working again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
oh...for pete's sake...what the hell. i'll educate another one!

IT'S CLEARANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT, "TOLERANCES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there...i feel better now!

l-don...both rifles are built to, for all practical purposes, the same "tolerances".

a "tolerance" is either a bi-directional (as in "±) or uni-directional (as in + or -, but not both) zone that a nominal dimension may vary from.

a "clearance"  is a DESIGNED INTO THE EQUATION FROM THE GET-GO gap, opening, void or missing material condition that exists between running, sliding, rotating or otherwise contacting during movement parts.

the kalashnikov, while holding the exact same headspace tolerance zone as any other rifle (too small...no chambering of a round. too big...kaboom!) has tons of CLEARANCE designed into it to allow it to function reliably in a dusty, muddy contaminated environment. it is also designed to reliably function while filty over a wide temperature range and using a greatly varying quality of ammunition.

KALASHNIKOV!!!!!

accept NO substitute!

OVER 100 MILLION SATISFIED CUSTOMERS!

Thank you! So tolerances is wrong then....gotcha, makes sense now...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

KALASHNIKOV!!!!!

accept NO substitute!

I watched a TV special were Mikhail Kalashnikov jokingly said he reckoned he was responsible for the killing of more people with his AK47 design than any other person or weapon.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
enough of this crap what the hell is up with your avatar
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

l-don...both rifles are built to, for all practical purposes, the same "tolerances".

a "tolerance" is either a bi-directional (as in "±) or uni-directional (as in + or -, but not both) zone that a nominal dimension may vary from.

a "clearance"  is a DESIGNED INTO THE EQUATION FROM THE GET-GO gap, opening, void or missing material condition that exists between running, sliding, rotating or otherwise contacting during movement parts.

the kalashnikov, while holding the exact same headspace tolerance zone as any other rifle (too small...no chambering of a round. too big...kaboom!) has tons of CLEARANCE designed into it to allow it to function reliably in a dusty, muddy contaminated environment. it is also designed to reliably function while filty over a wide temperature range and using a greatly varying quality of ammunition.

KALASHNIKOV!!!!!

accept NO substitute!

i bet campy has this saved so he can just cut and paste when he needs it..

thats a lot to type out for one response that keeps comming up.

so....how bout them tolerances?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
AK's have  lactose intolerance's...

(and they will not stand for it either!)  

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.

Campy's got a pretty low TOLERANCE for this question......

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow.

Campy's got a pretty low TOLERANCE for this question......

badabab - tshhhh
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

KALASHNIKOV!!!!!

accept NO substitute!

Thank you! So tolerances is wrong then....gotcha, makes sense now...

Yes, tolerance IS wrong... damn these tolerance assembley's we have at school!!!!    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top