Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 11:29:37 AM EDT
I have put a great deal of thought into this.  Everyone is looking for a biological, chemical, or nuclear attack of some sort.  I think they should be looking for more of a conventional attack.

Many construction sites have dynamite and blasting caps stored in locked sheds.  This material is easily acquired.  It is then easy to build a "suicide-bomber" vest - just add some batteries, a switch, wiring, nails and bolts, etc.

So, IF AQ does anything this weekend, I think the most likely form of attack would be 10-20 suicide bombers walking into Starbucks in various US cities, at around the same time.  The psychological impact of such an attack would be immense, and the cost for materials would be practically zero.

I used to think of scenarios for a living.  That would be the way I'd proceed if I were Al Qaeda.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
AQ is already prepared. They havethousands of lawyers on standby in the swing states. Has ACT Moveon and other orgs helping them out already. In fact I think AQ'a chief here in the US has blinded many voters already by using MTV.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#2]
They could plant a candidate sympathetic to their cause.

Oh, wait. They don't need to. Kerry's running.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
ANYTHING that Al Qaeda did on U.S. soil would give the election to Bush in the biggest landslide ever recorded in U.S. election history.

They MIGHT just be dumb enough to try - but I don't think anything will happen before the election.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think the terrorists are surfing the 'net for strategies, but I still think it's stupid to give them any ideas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I see your point - you are comparing the Democratic Party to Al Qaeda.  While they are not the same - they do share many of the same goals, which is disturbing.

Back to my original point - there is absolutely no way for Law Enforcement or Homeland Security to prevent this type of bombing attack.  The best LEO could hope for is infiltration of a group - but this is notoriously difficult with this particular organization.  And then, it would only be an infiltration of a single Cell, and that would not affect the rest of the larger organization.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
even a small arms attack on a crowded polling place on election day would have a huge psychological impact.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Pop a nuke off in a city or two the day of the elections.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't think the terrorists are surfing the 'net for strategies, but I still think it's stupid to give them any ideas.

They have already thought of this, without a doubt.  They already employ this strategy in Israel.  I would not have posted it if I thought that they had not thought of it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Illegally vote?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ANYTHING that Al Qaeda did on U.S. soil would give the election to Bush in the biggest landslide ever recorded in U.S. election history.

They MIGHT just be dumb enough to try - but I don't think anything will happen before the election.

+1

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
My main concern is not an attack before the elections, but after if Bush is reelected.  I wouldnt be surprised if they did it in 'retaliation' for putting him back in office.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pop a nuke off in a city or two the day of the elections.

That would kill more skerry voters than anything!  They'd have to crop dust the midwest with anthrax.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Anything that AQ does helps Bush get elected.  While the Polls show kerry close to Bush, nearly every poll reports something like 60-70% of the population things Bush is a better war president.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Nuke DC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top