Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 10:29:10 AM EDT
I have only flown twice with a gun. Sept 11th 2002, and Sept 15th 2002.

It was nothing more than a Glock 30 in it's original case with a padlock on it. The lady check it out, I put the red ticket inside, relocked it and threw it in my unlocked luggage.

Now I have to fly to GA in Nov and am taking a rifle with me. I cannot toss the rifle case in my bag as it will be too big. The case will have to be naked.

My questions are-
1. Are you able to lock the case after they check it out at the counter?
2. Are the TSA monkeys going to cut off my lock and open my case even AFTER I have it checked at the counter?
3. Am I just fucked and have to send a $3k firearm through standard security stuff unlocked?

Also, What do you guys take your ammo in? When I went before, I had 50rnds of .45 in the factory packaging. This time I am planning on taking 340 rounds of 5.56, can I leave them in the magazines, or will I have to stick them on strippers and in bandos?

TIA

-U-
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Yes
2. No
3. N/A

Of course it must be a hard case.  And there is a limit to how much ammo can be packed with it and I believe all ammo must be in "packaging" like an original box.  Be prepared to get a lot of attention when you declare it and open it up.  Cops at Tulsa airport were cool, stating they needed to get an AR-15 too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a printed copy of TSA rules.
Have a printed copy of Airline Rules.
Know the up, down, left and right.

Then politely show them the rules when they tell you to do something otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top