Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 10:16:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Which model?

I used one for a few days a year ago, so I probably can't comment on the exact model you're considering.

However, unelss lots of stuff has changed at Panasonic's design and manufacturing, they seem like great machines. The build quality on the one I used was great. It felt substantial. I didn't abuse it very much, however. If I needed a rugged computer, I would get one from Panasonic from my experience with them. Edit: Also because seemingly every other rugged computer maker charges out the nose.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I spent the summer in the desert. I was a com goober, and sent most of my time working on the computers. We used a metric assload of the Panasonic Toughbooks. They held up pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Using a CF 29 right now.  The 73s are out there in our other section.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I know of a gov't contract that just bought another 73,000 of them.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#5]
They get banged to hell in and out of our patrol cars and last quite good.  They are constantly on and off.  

If I didn't already have a dell laptop I wouldn't have a problem with a toughbook.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have three of them in my department.
All have the touchscreens.
We use them with our Faro Arms to check parts with.
My people are not too gentle with them either.
Good computers.
I think I'm going to upgrade the memory in the next few weeks.
Should really help the speed I think.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Just sold a CF-71 a little while ago on ebay. P3 600 MHz with upgraded 30Gb HDD (still shock-mounted) and a DVD-ROM (external).

Try ebay. Great deals all around (I made money while still selling it at $590 + more on accessories like a case and the DVD-ROM).

Very nice computers.

Basically these are the least rugged of "ruggedized" labtops, but they will still handle most abuse.

The most rugged standard-production labtops are Arbor-Lynx. They will stop a .38 in the back of the screen and the screen will keep working! (And they are still light).

Amrel makes a good machine (sort of in between Panasonic and Arbor-Lynx). Water-tight unlike the Panasonic, not the same kind of impact protection as Arbor-Lynx.

Let me tell you this though, most laptops that are not dropped die of 1) vibration 2) overheating.

Vibration harms the moving parts and also reduces heatsink effectiveness in addition to slowly stripping the screws. Overheating is generally the chronic result of blocking air intakes.

The ruggedized laptops don't have air intakes and instead radiate from the chassis, meaning they can't sink as many BTU's. Soooo, they are a little slower or use a much smaller die size.

Even the panasonic has good vibe protection.

If you let me know the major threats you are trying to protect the computer against, I can give you a more accurate recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What about EMP?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What about EMP?

I think you have to supply the Faraday Cage...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
We use the cf28 as a MDT in our RMPs. Lot of gear stripped out and locked up in the port replicator. Control panel is locked out so we cant make changes or delete the OS. Otherwise coated with coffee and jelly drippings but still worked. Talk to me next month after I upgrade one I got off ebay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top