BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2004 7:27:41 AM EDT

Detroit factory worker killed with sword made on premises, police say
10/28/2004, 11:56 p.m. ET
The Associated Press    

DETROIT (AP) — A metals plant employee killed a co-worker with a sword he fashioned for himself at the factory, police said Thursday.

The 30-year-old Detroit resident was in custody after the slaying, which happened about 11:25 p.m. Wednesday, police spokesman James Tate said.

Witnesses told police the man complained he was being bullied by the victim at the Peerless Steel Corp. factory, which makes metal powders used in brakes.

He then finished a sword that he had been working on for several days, Tate said.

"After the suspect had made the weapon, (he) brandished it ... where the other employees could see it. He told all the other employees to go home," police Inspector Bill Rice told The Detroit News.

The employees fled, called police and remained outside the plant.

Inside, the suspect struck Anthony Williams, 40, with the sword in the neck, nearly decapitating him.

The suspect fled the scene but later returned. When police arrived, he was waiting there, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette.

Witnesses told the police the suspect was interested in "fantasy board games" such as Dungeons & Dragons, Tate told the Detroit Free Press.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
A 30 year old man kills another 40 year old man for bullying?

(ETA:  The more I think of it, neither of them sound like they were men)
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Will the judge roll a 2d4 to determine the guys sentence?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How do YOU know what that is?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
What'cha gonna do with that lawnmower blade, Carl?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually Sarge, this is SERIOUS. Definately a % roll of three 10 siders with the low roll removed.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the Red Gnome really did beat the Grey Sorcerer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Well obviously the D&D made him do it.

Ban D&D!

for the children....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I aim to kill yew with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Looks like the Red Gnome really did beat the Grey Sorcerer.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAN, Talk about a trip in the WAYYYY BACK machine......
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Was it a +1 sword?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Im gonna kill yew with it.

You better call an ambulance, if yer gonna kill me cal for a hearse.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Was it a +1 sword?

LOL I though the same thing when I read this....

Ok whos up for a ARFCOM D&D game? Ill dig out the books..
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAN, Talk about a trip in the WAYYYY BACK machine......

No kidding.............Guy must have had a terrible THACO to go down with one strike..........
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL  You guys kill me!  But it is disturbing that the media would bring in D&D.  Also, that this guy had to manufacture a sword to kill the guy bullying him.  He couldn't use any of the tools that were available to him on the job, or home.  The media has to demonize the D&D and the SWORD.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it a +1 sword?

I'm in. Where's my old wizrd and playing pieces?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Only "nearly decapatated" him?  Must have rolled about a 17 for the hit, the victim's AC must have been low, and he rolled high for the damage. If he had rolled a 20 it probably would have come clean off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it a +1 sword?

I call dibs on the thief character.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
How far is nearly decapitating someone?  Is it like half way or 3/4 of the way?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#21]
It is bad enough that all you nerds got into this, But persephone? Honey please say that someone else wrote your comment. IT is bad enough that we have hillbilly girl gun nuts around here, but girl D&D players? Oh Tiamat make it stop....I got dibs on the ranger--beastmaster subclass please?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Maybe 3d12...

I wonder what the guy rolled on his d20 for his attack on the bully.  What was the bully's AC?  Did THAC0 play in or are they using Third Edition rules?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Detroit factory worker killed with sword made on premises, police say
10/28/2004, 11:56 p.m. ET
The Associated Press    

DETROIT (AP) — A metals plant employee killed a co-worker with a sword he fashioned for himself at the factory, police said Thursday.

The 30-year-old Detroit resident was in custody after the slaying, which happened about 11:25 p.m. Wednesday, police spokesman James Tate said.

Witnesses told police the man complained he was being bullied by the victim at the Peerless Steel Corp. factory, which makes metal powders used in brakes.

He then finished a sword that he had been working on for several days, Tate said.

"After the suspect had made the weapon, (he) brandished it ... where the other employees could see it. He told all the other employees to go home," police Inspector Bill Rice told The Detroit News.

The employees fled, called police and remained outside the plant.

Inside, the suspect struck Anthony Williams, 40, with the sword in the neck, nearly decapitating him.

The suspect fled the scene but later returned. When police arrived, he was waiting there, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette.

Witnesses told the police the suspect was interested in "fantasy board games" such as Dungeons & Dragons, Tate told the Detroit Free Press.

That cracks me up. At least he didnt waste time running.
CH
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Only "nearly decapatated" him?  Must have rolled about a 17 for the hit, the victim's AC must have been low, and he rolled high for the damage. If he had rolled a 20 it probably would have come clean off.

Hey, some DMs give critical hits on a 20.  I'd have to say, with a near decapitation with an improvised sword, his attack roll was pretty high.  Depending on his class and strength, he may have had an attack modifier that helped with his THAC0, but the target was not armored, so his AC was probably 10.     ... if that's 2nd Edition...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I would have loved hearing the POW! of a concealed handgun ending the attack. Sword goes up, hammer falls, victim tosses firearm into metal powder machine along with the attacker. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It is bad enough that all you nerds got into this, But persephone? Honey please say that someone else wrote your comment. IT is bad enough that we have hillbilly girl gun nuts around here, but girl D&D players? Oh Tiamat make it stop....I got dibs on the ranger--beastmaster subclass please?

Sorry hound.  My hubby has corrupted me in so many ways.  I feel so violated.   He usually plays a ranger too.  

I usually do best as a fighter-cleric or fighter-magic user,  prefer high elf,  and tend to be chaotic neutral.  

What's so bad about women playing D&D?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry hound.  My hubby has corrupted me in so many ways.  I feel so violated.   He usually plays a ranger too.  

I usually do best as a fighter-cleric or fighter-magic user,  prefer high elf,  and tend to be chaotic neutral.  

xenobia.arthmoor.com/highelf1024.jpg

I liked a High Elf using the Bladesinger kit...   but I haven't played since I was about 17 or so.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would have loved hearing the POW! of a concealed handgun ending the attack. Sword goes up, hammer falls, victim tosses firearm into metal powder machine along with the attacker. Planerench out.

I don't think self-defense applies when you've been bullying someone enough that they make a sword to kill you with.

Say, I wonder what will happen to this guy in jail? You can be sure he's going to get ass-rapedbullied there. Is he gonna make some shivs? Will he deter anyone by saying "He was messing with me, so I made a sword and cut his fucking head off!"?

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it a +1 sword?

I call dibs on the thief character.

Wedge, do you mean to tell me you played D&D instead of playing the Star Wars role playing game?

For shame.  

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

xenobia.arthmoor.com/highelf1024.jpg

I'd hit it till she was chaotic evil

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#32]
friggen' nerds

If you worked in a machine shop/ metal fabrication shop would you build a sword?

Or an AR?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
friggen' nerds

If you worked in a machine shop/ metal fabrication shop would you build a sword?

Or an AR?

Both!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I didn't realize anybody even played D&D anymore...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
friggen' nerds

Or an AR?

.50 BMG
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Warlords Battle cry character......I like the wood elf better. No dear Persephone, I just thought it was funny. Let me tell you the funniest line ever uttered by a female role-player..
DM...you enter a large clearing and see a group of centaurs
player--halfling something or other, she was hispanic and small in real life also

"Are any of them male?"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Persephone probably has a Ring of DM Control....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Only two more days and Persephone controls the underworld.....I will drink to that on samhain.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You Sojourn geek!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Seriously, I not only know what your all talking about I can discern which edition your referencing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Where are the cheetos?

I'm gonna get a soda, anyone want one?

Where is the mountain dew?

Cool I get drunk.

I'm getting drunk, are there any girls there?

Roll the dice to see if Im getting drunk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Where are the cheetos?

Cool I get drunk.

DC101!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where are the cheetos?

Cool I get drunk.

DC101!

I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR THAT AUDIO!
Do you know where I can find it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#47]
This has to be a guy that sucked at D&D.  The ones that were good at it are currently running corporate America.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where are the cheetos?

Cool I get drunk.

DC101!

I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR THAT AUDIO!
Do you know where I can find it?

Found it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
www.jessewarden.com/images/bushdnd.jpg

I've never seen that pic before...

(Okay, how do I clean Mountain Dew out of my keyboard?... )
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Found it!

Glad you found it!  That is sooo funny!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top