Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 6:13:54 AM EDT
After many years of procrastination, I just got my CHP.  Since it's good for 5 years, and is made of business card stock paper, it needs to be laminated to survive the term.

Is there a perferred method or product to use?  How about a method or product to stay away from?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Gimmie a "B", Gimmie a "B", Gimmie a "T"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven’t laminated mine (but I don’t carry it loose, either).

However, I have used a lamination set-up made by 3-M (or maybe Scotch?) for similar purposes.  I bought it at Staples for maybe $5 or so.

Note that while it pretty easy to use, you could screw things up if you really tried.  

IIRC, the plastic is folded with one sticky side and one non-sticky side.  With something as important as this, I’d probably put the sticky side on the back in case things went terribly wrong and I had to start over.

I’d also make one or two trial runs on something else (like maybe photos) before tackling the CCW.

Alternately, maybe somebody like Kinko’s has a heat activated lamination set-up that you can use for a small price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
There are self-laminating things you can buy at office supply places; just put the item in the middle, peel the strip and press the halves together. It sems to last for stuff that wont be getting heavy usage but mainly carried in a  wallet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Uhh...

You do mean "BTT," NOT "BBT" right?

If not, what the heck is "BBT?"

My Florida permit came laminated, but with potentially frayable edges - I never have to pull it out, so I am not worried.  Just make sure your state allows lamination - many types of IDs are invalidated if laminated!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
some states do not allow lamination, and will charge you a replacement fee if you do, check first, the go to kinkos or a staples copy center and have them do it on a professional machine, they work great with high heat and pressure.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
some states do not allow lamination, and will charge you a replacement fee if you do, check first, the go to kinkos or a staples copy center and have them do it on a professional machine, they work great with high heat and pressure.

Yup, Kinkos or instiprints will square you away for a couple of bucks or less.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Here in Virginia - unless things have changed recently - when you pick up your CCW they tell you to go ahead and laminate it if you want to.  (And you probably want to since it’s a pretty flimsy document.)
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
After many years of procrastination, I just got my CHP.  Since it's good for 5 years, and is made of business card stock paper, it needs to be laminated to survive the term.

Is there a perferred method or product to use?  How about a method or product to stay away from?

Do you live near Quantico?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you live near Quantico?

Richmond
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh...

You do mean "BTT," NOT "BBT" right?

If not, what the heck is "BBT?"

My Florida permit came laminated, but with potentially frayable edges - I never have to pull it out, so I am not worried.  Just make sure your state allows lamination - many types of IDs are invalidated if laminated!

It's the stuttering version...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There are self-laminating things you can buy at office supply places; just put the item in the middle, peel the strip and press the halves together. It sems to last for stuff that wont be getting heavy usage but mainly carried in a  wallet.

A big +1 to this.  They're easy to use, and nearly foolproof.  I keep a laminated copy of this in my wallet:

I've had the pleasure of introducing a few people to shooting, and it's nice to be able to tell them what to do different.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Here in Tn, the permit is glorified copy of the drivers liscence.  They are pretty sturdy.

+1 on getting it laminated at Kinko's. They do it pretty cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top