Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 6:03:45 AM EDT
The graduate program I am in is going to allow us (20 or so of us) the opportunity, next summer, to travel to france to study.

I'd like a list of concise (key word there!) arguements to use to discourage others from going, and contributing the first penny to the french economy.

(no, I'm not going)
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Use your AR.

I am always more persuasive when using my AR.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The women dont shave

Their cars suck

They are cheese eating surrender monkeys

The Germans are coming!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as you stay away from smelly North Africans, Paris is an absolutely beautiful city.  The French countryside is really nice, and as a general rule, once you're outside Paris, the people are actually pretty nice.  (It's mostly the parisians that are rude assholes).

That said - depending on your graduate program, why not go to Great Britian to study abroad?  Great Britian is like a million times better than France.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no good reason not to go.  

Experience it.  You may learn something.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is no good reason not to go.  

Experience it.  You may learn something.

If I could afford it, I'd go to the Czech republic, Poland, Switzerland, or Austria.

Not france.

Not to a french university.

American universities are bad enough...what would france be like?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As long as you stay away from smelly North Africans, Paris is an absolutely beautiful city.  The French countryside is really nice, and as a general rule, once you're outside Paris, the people are actually pretty nice.  (It's mostly the parisians that are rude assholes).

That said - depending on your graduate program, why not go to Great Britian to study abroad?  Great Britian is like a million times better than France.

I see your point....

But I'm looking for principled arguements here, not tour-the-world encouragement.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's an idea!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the companies the GF and I represent has awarded her with TWO expenses paid trips to france. (NOT capitalized on purpose-they need to earn my respect first)

This is no shit-we DID NOT go to france on either trip.

The first time we went to Kauai, as she'd never been to Hawaii. (it was my 3rd trip)

The second time she, her sister and her daughter went to Tahoe for a week, as she'd never been there and I formerly lived in PRK and I've been to Tahoe more times than I can remember.

We think we're on the verge of winning another trip and I'm leaning heavily towards Poland, maybe Austria or Switzerland, Norway, Sweden or Finland.

For years I would have liked to go to germany or maybe france but FUCK THEM now. I'd rather do Belguim or some other place in that area.

To give an answer to your question, why would you want to go to a country that ADMITS it wants to be a counterbalance to U.S. influence in Europe, resigned from NATO in the height of the Cold War, and has ZERO guilty conscience about thumbing it's nose to a country that SAVED IT'S ASS TWICE?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see your point....

But I'm looking for principled arguements here, not tour-the-world encouragement.

Okay -

Why study abroad in a country where nobody speaks your language?

Why study abroad in a country with a VERY high proportion of muslims and north africans who hate Americans, and might want to hurt you  (I imagine a unversity would be very worried about liability if a student gets hurt)

How many good universities are there in France?  I can think of many in Britain, but not a whole lot in France (I'm sure there are some - but are they better than British ones?)  If I were spending $$$ to study overseas, I'd want the best schools.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We think we're on the verge of winning another trip and I'm leaning heavily towards Poland, maybe Austria or Switzerland, Norway, Sweden or Finland.

What, all of Scandinavia EXCEPT Denmark?  

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Simple, tell them this.  France has a 10% muslim population and ARafat is about to die there because france loves Islamic terrorist.  Do they really want to go to a country that support the same type of terrorist that kill 3000+ in NYC on 9-11?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#13]
France sucks. Been there twice. Here's my short list.

Reason to go-
1. Historical interest.
2. Great ancient and modern architecture.

Reasons not to go.

1. Fugly women (contrary to popular belief)
2. Food sucks (and I'll eat almost anything)
3. Everyone is whinny.
4. If I had $5 every time a Frog prefaced dialog with "Why is it that you Americans" insert stupid question here.
5. As a whole they're very jealous of and resentful of Americans.
6. Hotels are filthy, even the nice ones.
7. Unisex public restrooms. Many without stall dividers WTF is that all about? Ever try to piss with a hairy legged skank sitting next to you? I ain't easy my friend.
8. Did I mention Fugly women?
9. Lots of faggots gender challenged individuals.
10. Lots of towel heads members of the religion of peace.

Save yourself some money on take a trip to Hollywood and you'll get the same basic experience.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Need help w/ a french problem...  

Try not to slobber?

I love GD!    Although, the more time I spend here, the more I feel any hope of ever being a lady slipping quickly though my grasp.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I was in France when I was a teenager (part of a high-school aged jazz-band and show choir).

Paris, July 1987:

My companions and I needed to exchange money (this was WAY before the Euro).

So I approached a likely-looking French woman (being the only one in our group who knew ANY French):

"Escusez moi.  Ou est un banque?"
"<blah blah blah blah> droit  <blah blah blah blah> gauche <blah blah blah blah> au coin."
"Merci beaucoup."

Translation:
"Excuse me.  Where is a bank?"
"You go to the end of the block, turn right, go another block, turn left, and it'll be on the corner."
"Thank you very much."
"<under breath> Stupid American kid thinks he speaks French.  I just sent him to the only bank in Paris which doesn't exchange money!  Le Ha, le Ha, le Ha!"

I don't understand it completely, but they really DO NOT LIKE AMERICANS.  I think it's because they know, that we know, that they know, that the only reason their entire language and culture exists is because America saved their butts TWICE (twice repaying the one time they helped us, back in the late 1700's).  They also are starting to realize that American wines are giving them real competition in international prestige (and what is France without whine wine?).

They'll take our money, but they don't want anything else.

(Eastern France isn't so bad, but they're been overrun by the Germans so many times that they're not really French, kind of like parts of the Southwest are more Mexican than American.)

I'd save tous [le spit on le ground] dollars Americain.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#16]
DK:
I intended to include your Fatherland with the Belguim comment but was felt I was prattling along and needed to bring my comment to a close.

HELL YES, Dennmark. U.S. supporter in Iraq. I think you just reminded me to elevate Denmark right up there with Poland. Maybe even above.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#17]
France:

1. filthy public restrooms
2. lots of property crime--muggings and breakins are very common
3. food safety problems, listeria in cheese, etc.
4. bad attitudes and customer service--people there tend to be lazy and sury.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
France:

1. filthy public restrooms
2. lots of property crime--muggings and breakins are very common
3. food safety problems, listeria in cheese, etc.
4. bad attitudes and customer service--people there tend to be lazy and sury.

5.  Complete lack of respect for ANYTHING.  Manners, what the hell are they?  Je suis blablahblahomlettedufromage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They are cheese eating surrender monkeys

quote]

+1

My personal favorite.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#20]
France does have Alizee, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Fox News just broke latest poll of Frenchmen.

9 in 10 want Kerry to win the election.

9 of 10 reasons not to go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There are reasons to believe France assisted Saddam Hussein even moments before the invasion. They sold missiles (in violation of UN sanctions)  that are said to have brought down some of our planes.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#23]

France is the "snotty effeminate waiter" of the world.  

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Just remember, it's called a Royale with Cheese.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

For years I would have liked to go to germany or maybe france but FUCK THEM now. I'd rather do Belguim or some other place in that area.

Belgium is pretty much france, avoid it too. I just got back from there and wish I never went, except for the waffles (waffle house is better) and chocolate. I missed the sprouts though (brussels), I'll just get  them here.

Didn't like Germany but I only saw Munich.

I strongly suggest The Netherlands, beautiful people.

My reason for not going is just that they stink and they are cowards, nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been to france twice when I was younger.
I remember for every nice person I met in paris, there were about
50 with surly attitude problems.
Pricks and assholes.
It got less so when I got further away from paris, but I could still
feel the animosity.
If I had to go to europe, I'd go to Italy.
I've been to Florence, Rome and Naples.
Southern Italy is amazing.
The food was the best I have ever eaten. Thats enough reason to go.
I had a blast.
The ladies were very friendly.
Go study in Italy.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
France sucks. Been there twice. Here's my short list.

DITO!

Save yourself some money on take a trip to Hollywood and you'll get the same basic experience.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Go to France. It's an important part of the world regardless of any political ideological differences you may have with them. Not to go shows narrow-mindedness and it's actually a very nice country with some good people in it.

I should add that if you land in Paris, don't just the rest of the country by the Parisians. Even French non-Parisians don't like Parisians.

If nothing else, go check out the Normandy beaches if you really want to have a Patriotic American Excuse.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top