Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 12:24:25 PM EDT
You all are going to end up being washington d.c. west. Woo hoo!
------------------------

June 8, 2001

Bill advances for 'smart technology' gun locks
                  Orange County Register

A bill that would require all new handguns sold in the state starting Jan. 1,
                  2004, be equipped with a built-in childproof lock passed out of the
                  Assembly on Thursday.

AB1219 goes further than any other gun-control measure yet passed in the
                  Legislature because it goes beyond requiring simple trigger locks that are
                  easily discarded or disabled. Instead, gun makers would have to utilize
                  "smart technology" that prevents unauthorized persons from firing the
                  weapon and can't be easily removed from the gun, according to the bill's
                  author, Assemblyman Dario Frommer, D-Glendale.

Such technology might include a lock that can only be opened with a PIN
                  code, for example.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Passing laws with no moral reason only breeds contempt for the law. These idiots should realize that, especially when dealing with armed citizens.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I can hardly wait for 04' to roll around, won't have to worry about purchasing any more guns.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe all the gun makers will just say to hell with California.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why is it that a bunch of us good old boys are smarter than "the most civilized state in the nation?"
View Quote

Maybe civilized has a different meaning west of Las Vegas. At least good ol' boys often have common sense, which is more than you can say about all too many prima-dona sheltered liberals. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can hardly wait for 04' to roll around, won't have to worry about purchasing any more guns.  
View Quote

Yeah, just think of all the money you can save after the politicians take away that option from you. [:(!]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Once you have electronic locks, it will be a simple matter to make them so they can be disabled by remote control. Criminals are going to love that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
And once this is done there will be a whole new set of criminal activities that revolve around it.

To heck with reprogramming sega chips.

I wonder what type technology they are talking about.  I suppose it doesn't really matter if it jacks the price of firearms out of reach of the common man.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that this would violate the Federal Commerce clause and would be struck down as illegal.  If this prevents smaller gun manufacturers from playing in the California market, the state would end up losing in court.  Gun manufacturers know this and are waiting.  Don't forget the bill of rights here people, this would be a potential infringement on our 2d amendment right if proven that the local police or federal government would be able to remotely disable the gun as was previosly mentioned.  This bill isn't worth the shit ink that was used to sign it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I think all weapon manufacturers, accessory distributors and ammunition makers should just stop selling/shipping to CA zipcodes.  That includes police and military installations in CA.  After about a year or so, when anarchy reigns, the people that can protect themselves will live.  The rest of the silly dorkheads will go away.  And everyone lived happily ever after.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Maybe all the gun makers will just say to hell with California.
View Quote

I'm sure the liberals would be thrilled if that happened.

It wouldn't surprise me though. It won't be too long before handguns are so difficult and expensive to obtain here, that it wouldn't make financial sense to make a special CA version.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It wouldn't surprise me though. It won't be too long before handguns are so difficult and expensive to obtain here, that it wouldn't make financial sense to make a special CA version
View Quote

yeah you would think so, but I would have thought that about having a California only automobile and look what happened there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Passing laws with no moral reason only breeds contempt for the law.

View Quote

THAT IS THE BEST ONE-LINER I'VE YET HEARD THAT  POINTS OUT THE STUPIDITY OF IT ALL.

EXCELLENT, RADIOMAN!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It wouldn't surprise me though. It won't be too long before handguns are so difficult and expensive to obtain here, that it wouldn't make financial sense to make a special CA version
View Quote

yeah you would think so, but I would have thought that about having a California only automobile and look what happened there.
View Quote

Think for a minute...most people need a car, but does everyone need a gun?  The point is, we're a minority that has little voice when the moral majority voice outrage over their impotence to curb school shootings.  When someone's head needs to go on the chopping block, its the quietest voice that will bear the brunt of political need.  You can also thank the media for jumping on gun manufacturers backs every time some kid grabs his dad's or a black market gun.  I only wish people would think for a minute and realize that as long as there is a demand, there will be a black market for anyone to buy anything on.   ON AN UNRELATED NOTE, DO YOU THINK THEY'LL BAN KNIVES IN JAPAN SINCE THAT GUY KILLED 8 KIDS ON FRIDAY?  HMMMMMMM, liberal moral leftists in America would probably push for a knife block with voice recognition so that crazy people can't get access to knives!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]
NJ's acting Governor (Donald DiFrancesco) sponsored a very similar law in NJ when he was in the state senate.  The stupid turncoat bitch Christie Todd Witless signed it when she was our governor.  (the same bitch that claimed that she would overturn our idiotic "assault weapon" ban when she was campaigning)

And.. Hey ..   Why was the governor of this country's smelliest, cesspool of a toxic waste dump appointed to be the head of the EPA anyway?

The People's Republic of New Jersey = The Kalifornia of the East Coast.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Radioman

I agree about the laws.  Gov. Davis said last year he didn't want to see anymore gun laws and effectively put aside a likely passage of gun licensing.  Now it is coming up again and I wrote him a letter reminding him of his comments last year and the large law enforcement opposition to this, which I'm sure he is aware of.  The Dems in the Legislature are over-eager as they can pretty much pass any bill they choose.  Perhaps he will  veto this to keep from waking up any more opposition that would hinder his re-election in 2002.  Crime is down generally, unless of course the Lakers win the NBA championship. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally posted by Minman72

Think for a minute...most people need a car, but does everyone need a gun?
View Quote

Minman, every law abding citizen does need a gun, but many choose not to exercise that right due to ignorance and being sheeple.  That is one reason we are having the problem we are.

Originally posted by MadMatt

I'm sure the liberals would be thrilled if that happened.
View Quote

I would think that Cali sales were already down so much, due to their laws, that it wouldn't matter that much.  California is pretty much lost anyway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#19]
What will be fun to watch is if the Lakers do win the championship, the usual riot ensues, and all of the crying liberals rush to a gun store to be confronted by a 10 DAY waiting period.  They can wait for the background check to be completed and they "cool off" for 10 days as their homes burn.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Rich in CM don't forget about having to pass your gun safety test.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude, knives ARE banned in Japan to a large degree!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Passing laws with no moral reason only breeds contempt for the law.
radioman
View Quote

That would make a good bumper sticker.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top