Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 3:32:11 PM EDT
My daughter is in the 2nd grade. This year she gets homework to do every day.Some of the stuff is actually quite interesting/difficult.Most ofthe time i end up helping more than I should.

Any tips on how to help them do more themselves.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You will some day fondly remember every minute you spent with her on these types of things.

Enjoy it.

And try to let her solve most of the problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
More themselves?

If she needs help she needs help.  Are you showing her how to do it or are you doing it for her?

Kids take time and work.  But don't worry, in 20-30 years you won't have to do it anymore.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Enjoy it, but don't do it FOR her. If anything, try to expand on the lessons. And STAY involved. The attempted LLL-PC-MultiCulti Revisionism Indoctrination will start any day, if it hasn't already. You MUST stay involved.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Little Ramjet's in third grade. It gets more intense but we've weaned him away from us. He does well on his own and will come to us for help when he is really stuck. We explained to him that we were there to help, not do his homework.

Third grade is more Math, English and Science. A public school may be different.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
As soon as she's finished with her lessons, she can shoot squirrels from the kitchen window.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My two have been doing homework since kindergarten. Mostly the wife helps them out, as they do it before I get home from work. I agree - get involved but DO NOT do it for them. Help them with the concept, but make them derive the answer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Talk her through it.  Try to let her go through the logic.  I enjoyed those times with my kids.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
In my kids school, there are so many kids per class, usually 26-28, that it's hard for the kids to learn the concepts during school.  The teachers could spend the whole day on math, but they need to move on to other subjects.  It is important that YOU do help your kids.  

3rd grade math was

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
We have 'homework time' everyday for my 3rd and 1st grader.  Even if they have no homework, we still work on reading and math everyday.

There is no problem with you helping, just do not do all the work for her.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#11]
My oldest is in third grade this year. She has had homework every school day since the start of first grade and third grade is a big jump in what is expected out of them. So get ready.

When my daughter needs help, I try to help her break the questions down into smaller pieces she can quickly answer on her own. Then I just say ok, since you know A and B what the answer to the question on your homework.

Sometimes it takes alot of patience but you have to remember they have already had a long day at school and they are tired just like you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the great advice. This is going to sound stupid but I don't recall 2nd grade stuff being this difficult when I was in school. Call me dumb but some of them seem to be  pretty hard for a 2nd grader let alone a person  person like me with a college education. LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top