Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 3:27:36 PM EDT
Obviously a drive and the media but what about software?  What drives are good?  Do I need this 'double layer' DVD media?  Are modern movies protected from burning in any way?  
Anything else I should know?
Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out afterdawn.com

A very common combo is to use dvd decrypter to rip em and dvd shrink to re-encode em.  Nero is likely the best buring utility for this combo.  The two programs mentioned are free downloads from afterdawn and painlessly easy to use even for a newbie.  Dual layer drives are hardly any more expensive and when the price of the media comes down they will be the shit.  Right now dual layer disks are too expensive for my taste.

I have backed up a ton of movies and not had a sinlge failure yet.  Protection has not been a problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, let's see.
Dual layer dvds are pretty damned expensive now, but most newer writers are dual layer capable now, so in the future when the price comes down, you're ready to rock and roll.

For drives, I'd suggest a Lite-On, or NEC, those are the 2 most popular and work damn well.

Software, Dvd Decryptor or DVD Shrink to rip the dvd to your hard drive.
DVD shrink also compresses movies down to 4.7gb to fit onto a single layer dvd disc.

If you use DVD decryptor to rip the movie, you can use DVD2ONE to shrink it to 4.7.

As for burning, Nero Burning Rom is hands down the best. Get that, not the freeware version that comes with some drives, but the full version.

And as for media, Good quality media is a must for making good burns.
Verbatim, TDK, Sony, most Maxell and Memorex are good discs. I've used them all with no problems.

The key is where they were made, if the packagesays Mitsubishi Chemical Company, or Made in Taiwan, chances are you can get some excellent media.
Google for the programs, pm me of you have any more indepth questions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
TAG!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
those soft ware will not work.ive tried them all,,u need dvd x copy.send me a email
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
DVDShrink, and CloneDVD are about as bulletproof as you're going to get for direct DVD to DVD copying.

It recompresses the dvd format to (4.7gig),  The video quality loss generally is un-noticable on standard TV's.  It's noticable on HD tv's but is still better the VHS in most cases.

Most of the time when someone says DVDshrink doesn't work is because they tried using the copy in a DVD player that will not support the format (+/- disc) they burned the movie to.

Not all DVD players support + disc's,  Hell some dont like - discs all that much.  My dad's DVD player for example ONLY likes 1x DVD-R's.  it will not read movies off 2x or 4x discs.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
dvd shrink and nero 6 ultra
dvd burner and helps to also have a dvd rom but not required.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You only need DVDShrink to rip and shrink a DVD.
One program.
Then use Nero to burn them to your DVD.

DVD Shrink is the same as X-Copy without the stupid X-Xopy warning.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
those soft ware will not work.ive tried them all,,u need dvd x copy.send me a email

what software doesn't work?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]
In fact DVD Shrink is "checking" a copy of "The Two Jakes" for possible surface damage before I watch it tonight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]

I use DVD Decrypt, and shrink.  Seems to work quite well.

OK I'm looking for a program that will read the DVD and tell me what brand, where it is made, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink will let you copy almost any movie

For most DVD's, I use DVD XCOPY and it works good except on encrypted DVD's
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out Sima--CCS2 or GO-VIDEO.
Digital scrubs and format (Pal-Ntsc).
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
DVDdecryptor to rip a complete copy to your HDD.

DVD Shrink to strip extra language and subtitle tracks, and compress the remaining data to fit 1 DVD 4.7Gb media.

IMGTool to make an *.IMG "image file" of the "backup" DVD.

Burn the *.IMG file with DVDdecryptor.

All the above warez are completely free. For download links and complete step by step guides on "Howto" visit Doom9
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
And DVD to AVI ? What are the best toosl for that? I've been out of that loop for a while.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

OK I'm looking for a program that will read the DVD and tell me what brand, where it is made, etc.

Nero burning rom has a diagnostic that will tell you the type and code of media.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
And DVD to AVI ? What are the best toosl for that? I've been out of that loop for a while.

FairUse
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
tagged

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

DVD Identifier. IM your e-mail address, and I'll send it to ya.

Btw, the NEC 2510A is a kick-ass drive! Dual-layer, dual-format, and I paid $65 (shipped) at Newegg.com for it. Burns any kind of disk that fits in the tray, unlike the POS Lite-on 401S that I *used* to have (wouldn't even recognize the disks supplied with it from the factory). Thankfully, the Lite-on went tits-up, so I got the NEC.

I use DVD Decrypter to rip, DVD Shrink to get rid of the extras, and burn as a data disk with Recordnow Max 4.50; they all play perfectly in my Sony player.

Note: Recordnow Max versions earlier than 4.50 will not recognize the NEC 2510A drive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a "preban" DVDXCOPY program.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]
dvdshrink.org It's free!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I used DVDdecrypter to RIP it and AGK (AutoGordian Knot) to convert it to avi.

Recommended in another thread.

I get a 2 gig avi that plays at 2x speed and has a 1x speed sound track.

Pisses me off.

I did everything according to the directions too.

BHD  btw.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
use shrink and nero 6 real simple.takes 30-45 mins to do a dvd.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top