Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 3:26:15 PM EDT
Has this been handled?  The DU crowd is creaming. They also have a story with the IAEA seals intact.

Link to Story

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS exclusive footage brings to light new questions about unguarded explosives in Iraq.

Officials with the 101st airborne division and G.P.S. technology confirms our position on or near the southern edge of the Al Qaqaa installation back on April 18, 2003 - nine days after the fall of Baghdad.  

Some 377 tons of high explosives - HMX and RDX and PETN - are now missing Al-Qaqaa, and questions have arisen about what the United States knew about the site and what it did to secure it.

On the April 2003 visit, our crews witnessed soldiers using bolt cutters to get into bunkers. Inside, they found many containers marked "explosives." At least one set of crates carried the name "Al-Qaqaa State Establishment."

Military personnel told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that the area visited was secured by an outside perimeter. Our crew said the area felt more like no mans land.

"At one point, there was a group of Iraqis driving around in a pickup truck. We were worried they might come near us, " said former 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS reporter Dean Staley.

Photojournalist Joe Caffrey recalls seeing Iraqis watching them as they went through the bunkers. As his crew and the troops from the 101st departed each bunker, they left them open.

"We weren't quite sure what we were looking at, but we saw so much of it and it didn't appear that this was being secured in any way," said photojournalist Joe Caffrey. "It was several miles away from where military people were staying in their tents."

Soldiers who took a 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS crew into bunkers on April 18 said some of the boxes uncovered contained proximity fuses.

Photojournalist Joe Caffrey also recalls overhearing a military briefing after curious soliders had encountered another bunker.

"Apparently two soldiers had gone in to these bunkers, lit a match for light and teh fumers or powder... whatever it was, exploded and burned their clothes off. Shortly thereafter everyone was told to stay away from these bunkers"

Another bunker encountered by the 101st airborne and our crew encountered was locked with chains and a seal.  They did not enter. But we now know the seal is, according to inspectors with the International Atomic Energy Agency, used to mark an area when there is a concern that material inside could have a dual purpose in nuclear weapons applications.

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and experts across the country are working to learn more from these pictures and find out exactly just how close they were to Al Qaqaa.

Stay tuned for more details as they become available exclusively from 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh,    

"Apparently two soldiers had gone in to these bunkers, lit a match for light and teh fumers or powder... whatever it was, exploded and burned their clothes off. Shortly thereafter everyone was told to stay away from these bunkers"

Yeah Right!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Uh,    

Yeah Right!

Agreed, but the site has pics of barrels with "explosives" on orange labels.  Pics could be of anything, I just wanted some more opinion.  I can't post the pics directly.

bd
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it just me or HowTF do those 150 - 200  barrels = 380 TONS?
How much does this shit wiegh?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it just me or HowTF do those 150 - 200  barrels = 380 TONS?
How much does this shit wiegh?

I don't think they're asserting that this is the total 380, just one bunker's worth of the HMX or RDX.  The other story has pics of the IAEA seals on a door.  The question is going to be exactly where these pics were taken in the complex and what exactly to they show.  Are those the right containers? RDX is usually a powder.  The story is rather oblique when mentioning what and where of the story.

bd
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]

I call cow pooh. The fumers form this sory teh suck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking at the pics from the story...why would the crates be labeled in english?  Wouldn't they be in Arabic script?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and experts across the country are working to learn more from these pictures and find out exactly just how close they were to Al Qaqaa.

In other words we don't know if these pictures actually are of Al Qaqaa, but we are going to imply they are so it might help Kerry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are the pics from the linked ad:

Don't forget THIS part:

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm looking at the pics from the story...why would the crates be labeled in english?  Wouldn't they be in Arabic script?

It makes it harder to tell that they are of French, German, and Russian origin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes it harder to tell that they are of French, German, and Russian origin.

I believe the "Explosiv" seen in the close up IS German. . .

bd
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
To my dismay, I had to live in Minneapolis for ten years until I moved back home
to Texas a year and half ago, while I live there, this TV station liked jumping the gun
on stories, when the war first kicked off they did have a couple of reporters with the Army,
The TV station was showing every night a report from these 2 reporters,
They were always trying to get the first news out, even before they knew the facts,
I think they were trying to get some kind of an award or something,
as for the fact about lighting a match in a bunker, with explosive fumes present........................

gee thats what happend to all of the explosives, some dumbasses blew all of them up !
So thats the shock and awe they were talking about.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
IF those were the explosives in question......

DON'T YOU THINK, that we'd have already heard from "experts", pointing to those photos, saying, "YES, those are the explosives in question"?

Of course.
These photos are merely irrelevant props to further their campaign of innuendo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
if the explosives only burned off some close, it doesnt look like they were too much of a danger..al qaeda would do more damage throwing them at us...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
IF those were the explosives in question......

DON'T YOU THINK, that we'd have already heard from "experts", pointing to those photos, saying, "YES, those are the explosives in question"?

Of course.
These photos are merely irrelevant props to further their campaign of innuendo.

YEP. But you stated it correctly.  This will be innuendo. They even admit that they triangulated their position on GPS which "should" have put them in the complex on the southern border.  That smacks of, "we don't really know where we were."  But, mark my words, this story and these pics will be flagged around the news shows tonight.  Already heard that Aaron Brown will be picking it up.

bd
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But, mark my words, this story and these pics will be flagged around the news shows tonight.  Already heard that Aaron Brown will be picking it up.

Aaron who?

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Uh,    

Yeah Right!

Lighting a match or smoking in Bunkers is not fucking intelligent especially if these bunkers have poor ventilation and where just opened up.  Fumes do build up in bunkers and there is no telling what kind of explosives or propellents are in the bunkers.  

There is a reason Ammo Depots have signs saying "no smoking beyond this point", its because some bunker in the past high ordered and Joe "BB Stacker" was disintegrated in the blast.  All warnings especially the ones that are common sense that  you see associated with weapons/explosives are the result of usually some meathead who did something stupid.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
If this was a game of cards I would have to say that my satelite images with trucks parked in front of the bunkers obviously loading stuff up trumps DU's images of explosives located at a EXPOSIVES depot.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If this was a game of cards I would have to say that my satelite images with trucks parked in front of the bunkers obviously loading stuff up trumps DU's images of explosives located at a EXPOSIVES depot.

Have you seen any satellite photos yet?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.foxnews.com/images/142883/8_23_102804_al_qaqaa_450.jpg

That's nice.  Fuggem, Kerry's done...

bd
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

...this TV station liked jumping the gun on stories...

Confirmed.

Source: http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0403/fatica.html

"In general terms, I felt KSTP (management) would rather be first with the story than be journalistically accurate," says former photojournalism manager Dave Wertheimer, now news director at KIMT in Mason City, Iowa. "We were doing in-depth, people-oriented hard news storytelling and we turned into 'if it bleeds it leads' car wrecks and crime tapes... I didn't feel comfortable with that direction."

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top