Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 8:52:14 AM EDT
We just put in about 800 square feet of sod in the backyard for the new puppy.

I was thinking of buying an electric lawnmower. Are they a good idea or should I just get gas?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
They do alright, just don't mow your electric cord and you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is fine and I cut about 1200 sq.ft.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, that's pretty small area, are you planning to expand it? I would get a manual push-it yourself mower, or just a cheap electric one. What type of grass are you getting, there are some grass that so tough to move you need a powered mover.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The yard is all rock except for the small new area of sod. We went with BOB Sod which is a bermuda hybrid used in sports arenas. They told us not to overseed with Rye this season. We just wanted an area the dog could do his business on and not have to walk on the hot rocks during the summer.

Consumer reports only rates two electric mowers. A bolens and a Black & Decker. they rate about the same.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
When I still owned a house with a small yard, We bought a Ryobi RECHARGEABLE lawn mower.

It had PLENTY of power, and no cord to run over.

It was also a mulcher.

The only "problem" was it was heavy, but not as heavy as a gas mower.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Ours worked fine, for about a year. Then it crapped out, started stalling all the time, and replacing the batteries didn't work, so it was a motor problem. It got so bad you couldn't mow 10 square feet without it stalling out and needing about a 30sec rest period before restarting.

It was a Black & Decker cordless. I would say, avoid like the plague, get a gas mower with a Honda engine, or a push-mower.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a robotic one off of ebay $200 and you can be super lazy
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#8]
i like mine- but it always runs out of gas
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We just put in about 800 square feet of sod in the backyard for the new puppy.

I was thinking of buying an electric lawnmower. Are they a good idea or should I just get gas?

I have a B&D 5.0 HP Battery Powered Lawnmower.  Worked fine on my 1/8 of acre.  I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had good luck with the Black & Decker cheapies (no experience with the more expensive rechargeable versions). They're fairly lightweight, and have decent power (unless you're mowing wet, heavily overgrown weeds).

Manual push-mowers aren't much cheaper than entry-level powered mowers. The one I bought doesn't cut as thoroughly as a powered mower, either – leaves the occasional weed standing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My mom has an old one. Dates from the  60's and is made by Toro.  TWO motors with two blades. Damn thing is downright scary.  I'll bet you could clear brush with it.  I can push it thru 8" tall thick weeds  around the stock tank and the RPM's don't even slow down.   I've seen them for sale in pawnshops for 60$.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What's wrong with a gas mower?

Besides the noise, maintenance, and need to keep gas & oil for it?

Nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
comn, its not that hard to throw your gallon gas can in your trunk or bed ever few months whne you go fill up your car/truck.

It's even easier just to plug your mower in when you're done - next time you go to use it it will be ready.

I know SOOO many people who've never changed the oil in their 10-15 year old mower and they run fine
I've played with enough mowers in my time to really doubt this.  Even so why would you abuse equipment you paid so much for?  With an electric it's a non-issue.  There is nothing to maintain (other than making sure you have a sharp blade like every other mower powered and unpowered).

who mows their yard at 6am or at night in the dark?

Guilty!  I've mowed at night in the dark when my lawn needed mowing and I didn't have any openings in my schedule.  Not too hard to do with a Surefire and a headband.  The Surefire's batteries lasted just long enough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Checked on some push mowers and they say no go on bermuda. It's going to have to be electric.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh push mowers will work on anything you are willing to push them against, again and again and again, and if you don't mind it look like a bad scalping by a drunk indian.

We have had some B&D corded and they have worked fine, not worth the expense of batteries.  The only problem is when the boys have tried to mow too much at one cut.  You jam enough stuff in there to jam the blades and they thermal out on yah.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They do alright, just don't mow your electric cord and you'll be ok.

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
#1 go cordless with that little space and mow 1/week min.  You charge batts all week.

#2 IMHO gas power handles bermuda just fine as long as you realize that it ISN'T MEANT TO BE CUT AS SHORT AS FESCUE/RYE BLENDS or kentucky blue (bet you don't see much of that in FLA).  That and bermuda is usually planted on crappy uneven lawns with lots of rocks and bad soil.  Combine that with a low cutting height is BAD.  If you let it grow out a bit and mow it between 1-2 times weekly with a sharp blade (I use the highest deck height on push mowers) no problems.

edit to add: I charged $ bi-weekly and their lawn looked great compared to everyone elses all summer.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#21]
As a kid my dad was scared of me chopping my toes off with a gas mower, so he got me one of those old fashioned push mowers.  Well, took me all week, but I finally got 10' of grass cut.  I told him he could beat me, but I was not going to push that damned thing another foot.

So, he got a gas mower frame and mounted a 1 hp pump motor to it.  Worked like a charm, never cut over the cord once.  I never did figure out how it was safer than a gas mower.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a 25 hp Craftsman riding mower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top