Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 6:25:02 AM EDT
I missed the Detroit ruins thread here but I did check out the site.  What do you folks have to say about statistics?  Reason I ask is, it's weird.  Here in Brimingham, AL, the North side used to be the high-dollar area with country clubs and the works, but after the 'white flight', it has become the place that NO ONE wants to be in after dark.  How do you explain that?

Now, society has shown us that obviously the lower income, poverty-level people (who have taken over North Birmingham) lend more towards crime, but why?  Why can't they just invest the time and energy they put into drugs and scams into education and legitament lifestyle changes.  Why does the majority of these inhabits not have the will to rise above the rut that they keep constantly digging deeper for themselves, and that we, the honest tax payers have to shell out for their welfare and to the justice system for their 'punishment' and 'rehab'?   Augh!

ETA:  Last year I was literally chased out of a gas station in the north side by a carload of people because I was white.  During my lifetime the northside has always been perceived as the bad side of town, until at a O'Charleys one day I was looking at the pictures on the wall.  Pre-1960's, the area was beautiful with parks and great architectural structures, trolleys, etc.  I couldn't believe in how short of a time what a group of people could do, turn completely around, an entire part of a city.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I was interested in the pics on that site so I didn't read alot of the crap, did they mention when those pics were taken?

They don't build them like that anymore...and it is a shame.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone have a link to the Detroit ruins site?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a link to the Detroit ruins site?

Detroit Ruins Thread
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
IBTL.  beekeeper1 has arrived.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]
No need for lock...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was interested in the pics on that site so I didn't read alot of the crap, did they mention when those pics were taken?

They don't build them like that anymore...and it is a shame.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Thats what i wanted to show but i got labeled a racist nazi pig. damn people need to open up there minds here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, its a shame to see such nice old buildings in a terrible delapidated state.  I remember driving though Detriot this summer and seeing the big train station pictured that is totally abandoned now, and thinking to myself, how the hell could a building like that end up abandoned.  All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in a city like that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#12]
We have some of those buildings in downtown Atl...believe it...or not.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah its a shame, I can understand how a house gets abandoned and dilapidated, but how does a city let a building like that train station just fall into ruins? You'd think that the city government would buy the building and use it for something publicly if there wasn't enough rail trafic to keep the station running.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Profoundly depressing pictures/narrative to look at. Wow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
The thought that came to my mind in that thread was "who owns all these buildings now?"  I'm guessing alot are owned by various banks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Seen it last time. I'd pretty much agree with most of the stuff on the front page if they changed "racial" to "cultural". It is the culture sometimes referred to as "white culture" that builds all those things. I'd prefer to call it the success culture, because it isn't necessarily determined by race. Where the success culture exists, you get peaceful, productive cities that produce wonders of technology, art, and quality of life. Where the success culture leaves or never was, you have random chaos (Without the success culture, the organization required to fight a proper war is impossible).

Immigrants from a wide variety of cultures come to America, adopt our success culture, and do great things. But too many come for all the free handouts and bring the unsuccessful cultures that made their home countries into a wasteland with them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Just missed it last time, so ........

IBTL

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ok...let's say you own a nice house in a nice hood and have a nice wife, nice kids and nice vehicles.

then, someone 'not so nice' buys the house next to you. he hangs a chevy 350 from a tree in his yard, drinks beer on his front porch while playing loud music.

what do you do?

you beat feet out of there.

maybe another one of 'them' buys your house. maybe another one of 'them' buys the house on the other side of yours. maybe your 'nice' neighbor across the street decides to rent his property out and moves away. he rents the house to criminals...to drugaholics...to annoying people that leave trash all over the property.

that's how it starts. that...and ten thousand other ways that 'they' are not like 'us'. politics..religion...economics...class...aestetics...race...behavior...morals...work ethics...there are as many reasons as there are people.

it's not that hard to understand, is it?

once trashy 'not so nice' folks start moving in, the nice ones generally head for the hills and get far, far away. it's more logical to run than it is to stay and put up with what they see.

Hhmmmm.... you've been to my neighborhood.

Like what I wrote before the Detroit thread was locked. I have a passion for old architecture. I'm sadden by those photos. There are some great examples of Second Empire, Beaux Arts, Gothic Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque. Those were fine homes. Works of art that will never be replaced.

The factories I understand. They were constructed to serve on function and have a limited life. The destruction of a fine home. in my opinion is a artistic crime.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't read the "Original" thread but, if this is what I "Think" it's about (?), urban decay and the resulting crap that comes with it (?) consider this......(Albeit anectdotal from my own experience).

Here in Salem (OR) we've had area's in the last 25 yrs that've slowly turned into "Felony-Flats" type housing (Low income, absentee land-lords, old cars, drug-dealing....ect) only to enjoy a "re-Birth" as affordable housing for young families (As the property values and subsequent taxes decline).

I would "Think" that this would happen in other areas as well (?)  

I'm looking right now at buying a house in an area (Lots of families and very well kept) that I was afraid to WALK through when I was going to high-school in the late 70's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Said it in the last thread, I'll say it here.
Its economics, not color.
Broke is broke. White broke is as shifty as black broke is as shifty as tan broke or asian broke or purple broke.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Those picks were sad all right.  I love the look of some of those old buildings.  Around here people are buying them up and turning them into brewpubs and B&B's, or fixing them up as historical landmarks or personal homes.  It's a shame they are being gutted and left to rot.  Some of them are were beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
No I don't blame it on economics, it's the mentality and lifestyle of whoever lives there mostly. The last ten years have been pretty stable here. But in a certain neighborhood they began renting and selling nice brick homes to certain shitheads of all races and now it looks almost like that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the multicultural neighborhoods across town from me is considered by many to be one of the best places to live.  It used to be an upscale (all white) area, but the affluent people of color moved in when they got tired of drug dealers, pimps, and loud music.  I think the high prices kept the scumbags out, and the new residents wanted to maintain their property values.  I think it is class, more than color, that causes neigborhoods to decline.

One of my buddies lives in an area that is on the decline.  It was once a very nice working class area.  It started to go down when the city "forced" an apartment complex near the hospital to take section 8.  I am not sure of the details, but I think the old owner sold rather than put up with the hassle.  As soon as the welfare dregs moved in, the working families moved out. Eventually, the entire complex was nothing but lowlife scumbags.  Now, all of the nearby homeowners, tired of the noise and lowlifes meandering about, are selling or rented out their houses.  I told him to sell now, but he has to convince his wife, and the price of a new place make it difficult.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree that the lifestyle of the people living in and area is what causes the buildings to go to shit.  If you bring in trashy people, reguardless there race, the nice more well to do people are going to move out.  If I lived in a neighborhood where crackheads and prostitutes roamed the streets, violence was big issue, and the neighbors next door were druggies that let there house go to shit, I've move too. Being poor is one thing, but being a sorry ass is a different story. Being a crack adict letting your house going to shit, robbing people during the day and not working is a hell of alot different from someone who is a good person who works hard for their money and is a little less fortunante.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top