Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 5:08:09 AM EDT
I'm set to buy a new 19' trailer and then I found the same model but fiberglass instead of aluminum siding for ~$1000 more.  I do think it looks nicer, and it should be more durable.  Are there any downsides?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The big downside is the whole "buying new" deal.  I'd buy lightly used and let the other guy pay the depreciation.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Trust me, I've been looking; but the used I've seen come in 2 categories:  1) Nice but cost more than the new one I can buy.  2) junk.

I really like the floorplan of the new one; and I haven't found a used one that would be any sort of good deal.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at the weight difference. (Gross vehicle weight) I believe the fiberglass one would be much heavier. This translates into how easy it is to pull fully loaded. Most of these non aluminum trailers are not fiberglass, they use a foam board type of material with a hard shell outer surface. Can't remember off hand what that material is called.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I've owned three travel trailers from 23 to 35 foot. I'd go for the fiberglass. If you travel, it will take more abuse and is easier to, clean and repair. One stone hit to a aluminum trailer shows for life. I don't know what the resale value is when you plan to sell it. Buying used is always the better bargain.

Also. look at your floor plan, then buy the next footprint up. For some reason, it looks bigger at the dealership and seems smaller when you try to use it. I think it's some kind of time-space distrortion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, go for the fiberglass. I pull RV trailers for a living and the fiberglass travel tralers and 5th wheels hold up better and require less time to clean.

Side note: I've also noticed that other owners of fiberglass units are SOB's to me if I am pulling an aluminum unit. When I pull fiberglass units they always say "Oh that's a beautiful trailer" and when I tell them it's not mine and I just deliver them it's back to SOB time.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Trust me, I've been looking; ....... I haven't found a used one that would be any sort of good deal.
Thanks

Then you haven't been looking in the right places.   The $$ hit you take when you sign the papers just aint worth  it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Get one with a welded aluminum framework rather than a stick built-stapled together model.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Need advice re: buying a travel/camping trailer

Don't buy --------  rent them when you want to use one ................................

When you consider

registration

Insurance

storage

upkeep

far better to rent them unless you use them constantly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The only major downside to fiberglass is that some types and colors are prone to yellowing over the years, mostly due to sunlight exposure. Basically, the color of the expoxy used to bind the glass fibers together changes after long-term exposure to the sun's UV rays. It's not as bad a problem as it used to be, but occasionally still crops up. Obviously, yellowing will be more visible on a pure-white color than an off-white or grey color, and won't be a problem at all on painted surfaces.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I WOULD GO WITH FIBERGLASS, whatever is lighter will be easier to tow.  
My father, to make extra cash, buys repo units and fixes them up and resales them.  I think he has done about five or six.  He has a 2004 right now that he got from a bank at a pretty good deal because the water pump was burned out and the generator would not start.  The generator only needed the battery cable tightened and the pump was simple to change.  This one even had the hoses for hookingup.  All the others didnt and most were missing the tv,vcr,mirowave and things like that.  One was missing the bed, I can see someonekeeping the tv/vcr but the bed, I wonder if its the owner or the repo guy that takes some of the stuff.  The least profit, not counting labor, he has made is 1000.00 and on one he made 7000.00.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I WOULD GO WITH FIBERGLASS, whatever is lighter will be easier to tow.  
My father, to make extra cash, buys repo units and fixes them up and resales them.  I think he has done about five or six.  He has a 2004 right now that he got from a bank at a pretty good deal because the water pump was burned out and the generator would not start.  The generator only needed the battery cable tightened and the pump was simple to change.  This one even had the hoses for hookingup.  All the others didnt and most were missing the tv,vcr,mirowave and things like that.  One was missing the bed, I can see someonekeeping the tv/vcr but the bed, I wonder if its the owner or the repo guy that takes some of the stuff.  The least profit, not counting labor, he has made is 1000.00 and on one he made 7000.00.

Word!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top