Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 4:16:30 AM EDT
got a PC tha trecently started being slow as hell- then noticed the hard drive was running from boot up constantly- even while not doing anything on the computer, it just sits there and grinds away.

did the usual spyware check using spybot/ad-aware/pestpartol got some and deleted.  seeme to only happen while logged in as a user- not in safe mode which leads me to believe some sort of software issue.  being connected to the network does not affect it either way.  Is there some sort of software (or some way) to see what is being writen to the hrd drive?  I have looked in task manager and nothing seems too out of the ordinary. Norton on or off does not change things either.

I copuld probably track it down if I knew what was being written to/from the drive-this just started recently too.  Also the computer has a gig af ram so that should not be an issue- and 30 gigs of HD space left.

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Scandisk/defrag

Of course, depending on your power management settings, the harddrive will spin constantly.  You mean to say it's accessing/writing constantly?  The access light is constantly on or blinking?  

You may want to check it out with some diagnostics.  Maybe try booting from a floppy disk to go to DOS and see if it does the same thing there.  If so, I'd think something is wrong with the drive.  If not, something in the OS is causing the access.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
have you recently installed any new software?
Recently defragged your drive?
Do you have antivirus software?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Regardless of the amount of ram you have, windows still uses virtual memory, check those settings. If you don't have enough, it could be that windows is reallocating that space on the hard drive...Have you defraged your hard drive lately?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
might have found sumptin- there is a process running called RTserver.exe- killed it and the drive stopped.

now to figuree out what it is-have not had much luck (yes, i know google is my friend...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
might have found sumptin- there is a process running called RTserver.exe- killed it and the drive stopped.

now to figuree out what it is-have not had much luck (yes, i know google is my friend...

Real Time server? Getting the time from the internet or network?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You still have spyware. I guarantee it. I had the same problem. All the sypware removers said it was clean, but it wasn't. Go to the task manager and check PROCESSES. Look for a program using a lot of memory that doesn't belong. It might be WXML or WINDOWSUPD2. If so, you're screwed. Save what you can, and reformat/reinstall windows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top