Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 1:06:56 AM EDT

www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_27-10-2004_pg9_11

Austria scraps Arnie statue

Plans to build an 80ft statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Terminator character in his Austrian home town have been scrapped because he’s backing President Bush.

The steel abstract design was unveiled in a blaze of publicity last year with public and private backers putting up the money for the £3.5 million project. But the southern city of Graz is angry that its most famous son is backing Bush in the upcoming US election campaign and supported the war in Iraq. Project manager Herwig Hoeller said: “Yes, the project has been shelved because it no longer has the backing among the population that it had at the start when he was elected.

“I think I must be the only one in this town that still wants the project to go ahead.” There are also calls to rename the Arnold Schwarzenegger football stadium and Graz Deputy Mayor Walter Ferk said the city was also considering taking back an honorary award of a ring to the governor. The statue was set to tower over other more traditional statues of lesser recognised individuals such as composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - or the Austrian Emperor Kaiser Franz Joseph.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It's Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck 'em we can build it here then!

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Austria...Austria....OK...Wait...I know...Its a skin condition?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck Arnold, He shouldn't even be in office, I don't feel any one bron out side of USA unless on a military base should hold office.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Austria had a higher percent of SS members and Nazi Party members than Germany.  They were also the only nation to elect an SS officer in the post-war period.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]
PETA member:"I'm glad they decided to scrap the statue, now they can spend that money saving kangaroos".  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top