Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 11:50:28 PM EDT
questions, is there a ediquite as to which arm the american flag must go on, and what direction it must be put on?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
questions, is there a ediquite as to which arm the american flag must go on, and what direction it must be put on?

left sleeve
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The flag is to represent a lfag carrier since they no longer exist, at least from my understanding.

And it is to be point as it would be if running forward.

I could be way off however.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Stars always face towards the battle.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
On the Army's current desert-camo uniform and woodland-camo battle-dress uniform, a full-color flag is worn on the wearer's right sleeve -- basically "backward" so that the union (the blue field with the stars) is to the wearer's front. (It's "backward" because the normal flag protocol is to display the flag with the union to the flag's own right/the observer's left.)

If the soldier is authorized a "shoulder sleeve insignia, former wartime service" -- commonly called a "combat patch" -- for the right sleeve, the U.S. flag is worn under the combat patch on the DCU and BDU.

In the pics of and information I've seen about the new Army combat uniform, the flag is on the right sleeve with the union forward but is worn above the combat patch.

To cloud the issue, there are some units wearing field-test versions of the new uniform in the current three-color desert-camo scheme, and some are wearing the flag on the left sleeve, and some wear a subdued flag.

Basically, though, it's full-color on the right sleeve with the stars to the front. Hope
Regards,
Chris
Baghdad
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
This actually has alot to do with the UN, since we get involved in many multi-national operartions in support of the U.N. we are to wear the the flag on our right sleeve as per the other multi-national forces.

This started because of missions like Bosnia and others.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
On the French the banner is allays to  the front and the flag(white)is allways flowing forward as in flying in retreat!

So just a long as ours is doing the opposite!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

left sleeve

Wrong, the US Army regulation puts it on the right sleeve, stars forward.  I wear it everyday.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
On the Army's current desert-camo

Then of course there's the deserter-camo uniform, which wears a red maple leaf instead.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My first unit was stationed in Italy. We wore the US flag on our left sleeve. I think we were the only unit to wear it like that. SETAF   3/325 ABCT
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This actually has alot to do with the UN, since we get involved in many multi-national operartions in support of the U.N. we are to wear the the flag on our right sleeve as per the other multi-national forces.

Really?  I wonder why the 101st Airborne troopers had flas on their uniforms when they jumped into Normandy?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I wonder why the 101st Airborne troopers had flas on their uniforms when they jumped into Normandy?

Because they are American...?

That was a long time ago, flags only re-appeared on Army uniforms recently, and only last year became a part of the uniform, officially, for all soldiers deployed or not.  Worn on the right arm, stars forward.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Right sleeve, 1/2 down and centered on shoulder seam. It's called the reversed flag patch. If worn on left sleeve it the standard flag patch but all .mil's have them on their right sleeve now as we are all in the war against terrorism.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Air Force flight suits wear them on the left sleeve, stars forward...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was at the Edwards AFB open house in Palmdale CA(71 miles N. of Los Angeles), all of the USAF planes had a USA flag on the tail on the right side, had the field of stars in the upper right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top