Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:58:47 PM EDT
I've made a tidy bundle playing poker 3 times per week (yes Poker!) and don't see why I shouldn't gamble some more.  I'm looking for the biggest, short term return (1-3 months max) for my money.  I have a Scott Trade account with streaming data also to make it a bit easier.  Should I sink all my $ into something quickly (ie minutes to hours) or longer term like months?  How about some suggestions on stock picks!?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on how much risk you are willing to live with.  The greater the risk, the higher the potential payoff.

But don't make any bets you cannot afford.  Many people have lost their shirt (and their house) trading on margin.

In general, you really cannot beat the market rate of return in the long run (technically you can, but it's usually either a statistical fluke, or illegal)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought an M4 stock from Bravo Company USA the other day...does that count?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick with poker.  That's where all the dumb money is.

I'm into the market, and all I can say about it is that it is generally in a bullmarket.  But it's pretty sluggish, unpredictabile, no manifest trend, there's little volatility, and most of the players are professionals (smart money).

Far more interesting right now are commodity markets in gold, energy, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
With all my risky hobbies, I am a very risk averse investor.  I had a sizable amount of options vesting a while back, and I couldn't stop watching the price.  The company had just been acquired, and we got a very favorable morphing transaction into the new stock.  No long term vision here, as we all knew our bubble was about to burst and we were trying to time our cashing out with a high day.  I was GLUED to the screen for weeks until I pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With all my risky hobbies, I am a very risk averse investor.  I had a sizable amount of options vesting a while back, and I couldn't stop watching the price.  The company had just been acquired, and we got a very favorable morphing transaction into the new stock.  No long term vision here, as we all knew our bubble was about to burst and we were trying to time our cashing out with a high day.  I was GLUED to the screen for weeks until I pulled the trigger.

Wow - I don't need that kind of stress - (I'm pretty risk averse myself too).

I don't even pay attention to the investments made in my 403b - I just assume that Fidelity or TIAA/CREF or whoever it is, knows what they're doing and do it within the boundaries I've specified.

I'd get no sleep at all if I was trying to manage my own portfolio.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Be a real man and show how big your balls REALLY are and open a commodities trading account.

(the Mini-dow future would be a good start for you)

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to worry, it's all play money & in this case about 5-8k I want to have some fun with.  Any ideas on DreamWorks when they come out (tomorrow at 28 I believe)?  I've been looking at some of the IPO's after the Google effect.  Wonder if that was a fluke though.  Dump a bunch in & make 50% rather quick.
Also looking at Microsoft because of the rumored $3 per share dividend on Nov (9th I think) announcment.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Sell oil stocks short.

They have mostly climbed way too fast and are due for having the bubble burst. I am just too risk averse to calling the right month.

(BTW, I made a bundle riding them on the way up and have dumped most of them.)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
i am into the stock market for about 15 grand thanks to the crash a few years back. even with that i am still way up. some day traders make a killing but most lose their ass. day tradeing is alot like gambleing. i like to go long term because i have a good 40 years before i plan to retire. people hold stock tips closer than they hold their wives. i know a bartender at the horse trck that gives his customers great tips on the next race. he tells one customer bet the #1 horse and the next guy to bet the #2 horse and so on until he has all of the horses covered. the customer that had the winning horse gives the bartender a nice tip for the info. i would treat any "stock tip" the same way. you have to do your own research. you should take notes and follow a few stocks for a couple months until you are informed enough to risk your money. it can be fun
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sell oil stocks short.

They have mostly climbed way too fast and are due for having the bubble burst. I am just too risk averse to calling the right month.

By all means go short in a bull market!

Zen

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Gasoline or heating oil put options.  Hey, what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You really need to know something about the company that you're investing in and you need to follow the stock trend. Use yahoo to build your practice portfolio, watch the stocks daily, look at the long term highs & lows, buy in when you've got a good handle on the trend, good rule of thumb is to sell when you've made a %20 return.

Some stocks to look at, RTIX and AGEN

Advice from a market amateur.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Good points to everyone.  I'll continue to do my research and take an educated gamble
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a friend who is a day trader.  He takes all of his earnings out of the market and dumps them into real estate.  He currently owns three houses he rents out.  He still lives in a cheap one bedroom apartmenet and drives a honda, but he's got a steady stream of income from the rental properties and he's still making money on day trading.

Stocks aren't like poker.  You can size up any player at a table within a few hands, and most you can size up when you sit down.  You're essentialy playing against the other people's skill and their nature.  But with the stock market you're playing against factors you can't read nearly as easily and there are things that can happen that you won't always see coming.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
"There are two times when a man should not speculate in stocks.  When he can afford it.  And when he can't." - Mark Twain

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I only invest in index funds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sell oil stocks short.

By all means go short in a bull market!

high risk, and high reward. And I think Kerry could kill the bull market easily. Would you dump stocks is you knew your capital gains tax rate was doubling, enviromental executive orders were coming and high priced alternative energies were being forced on the American public.

Zen

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top