Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:57:27 PM EDT
The ones advertised with the NRA.  I was wondering about their quality and would appreciate any comments.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a couple threads about Mausers in the Curio and Relic forum that mentions them. Better info there. But the concensus is they are over priced Yugo M48s in all reality.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The ones advertised with the NRA.  I was wondering about their quality and would appreciate any comments.  Thanks.

Like this one:

I don't have anything at all negative to say about it. Shoots straight and hasn't caused me any problems. Good rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one.  I love the rifle.  I would not purchase one form them again, knowing what I do now (overpriced).

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Overhyped and overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine at BIG5 and payed a lot less. They sure do have pretty ads.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
They are way overpriced especially for a Yugo M48. The M48 while functional is not the smoothest 98K action around.

I would suggest instead you get one the Russian capture German K98ks that are widely available now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are way overpriced especially for a Yugo M48. The M48 while functional is not the smoothest 98K action around.

I would suggest instead you get one the Russian capture German K98ks that are widely available now.

Where are they still available now?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out this forum.
ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums
The Yugoslavian Mauser Forum
p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm9

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are they still available now?  

I think both these guys still have them.

AIM

www.aimsurplus.com/

Empire Arms

www.empirearms.com/
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
my name is Mitchell and I have a Mauser, does that count?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a greasy M48; I cleaned it right up (which I enjoyed) and looks just as good as the Mitchells
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]

fac had them in their last catalog. even comes with documentation linking it to the battle at stalingrad. that would be kinda neat.

I am in no way an expert but thought the Mitchell Mausers were supposed to be all new and unissued so not sure how they could be linked to any battle.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a mitchell's mauser. The front sight was pushed all the way over to the right, but it does shoot strait. However, it shoots a good 5 inches high at 100 yards. I am thinking about getting a MOJO peep sight for it. Does any one have any thoughts about that? Oh yeah, it is a collecter grade 8mm yugo, it is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

fac had them in their last catalog. even comes with documentation linking it to the battle at stalingrad. that would be kinda neat.

I am in no way an expert but thought the Mitchell Mausers were supposed to be all new and unissued so not sure how they could be linked to any battle.

The claim is that the Yugo gov captured and used the machinery, etc to make the YUGO M48. So it's TECHNICALLY German....

I've seen M48's at gunshows for $60-75 in GREAT condition. If I wanted a hunting rifle, I would buy one and sporterize it.

I got a real Mauser, a Russian capture, with all of the markings intact, the only diff is the Russians added an electric penciled serial number, a pair of "crossed swords" which look like a small "X" and they removed the swastikas.

It needed work...removing the grease and varnish (they would dip the ENTIRE rifle in varnish) which covered wood and metal. The stock had to be sanded allot. I put 10+ coats of oil on it, steel wooled it and sanded. I had some rust INSIDE the buttplate, preet much invisible, but I cleaned it out and reblued it to prevent further rusting. The Russians also removed the 1) cleaning rod, 2) sight hood 3) set screws on the trigger guard. So that was some gun show crawling. I found an original bayo and sling. The wood turned out to be a golden blond. Amazing after seeing the dull reddish varnish. I paid about $200 and some elbow grease. Far better and the REAL thing when compared to Mitchells. It's important to note that I wanted an original German battle rifle to match my 1942 Springfield M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Check out this forum.
ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums
The Yugoslavian Mauser Forum
p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm9

pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL21/71676/2128482/43497293.jpg

Quoted:

Your Pic is a Swis K-31....(I have several of them, and love them)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Despite Mitchells advertiseing all there rifles are is generic Yugoslavian M-48's, and extremely overpriced, they are not 98k's, they are not from World War 2, they are not German, they were not built on German equipment, all that is just marketing....  For that matter there not even unissued M-48's, atleast not origional ones....

In 1998 I think Mitchells went to what was left of Yugoslavia, dug through what was left of the factory after Klinton bombed it, and found a bunch of spare parts, thats right spare parts, over the years the Yugoslavians took some parts off the production line before assembly, and set them asside for use as spare parts, thats what Mitchells found, Mitchells bought the parts and imported them into the US where they were assembled into brand new rifles, since they were blank unserialized parts Mitchells just stamps them when there done so all matching, and the differant styls they have in terms of stamped parts, all that means is they for example reach into bin B instead of bin A, only thing is they didn't get any stocks from Yugoslavia they ordered brand new Teak ones from China....  So Mitchells Mausers are not unissued M-48's, there new production....

Thats total BS....  For 1 as I said the Mitchells are brand new, and for 2 M-48's were not used in World War 2, World War 2 was from 1939-1945, and as the name implies M-48's didn't begin production untill 1948....  Furthermore the battle of Stalingrad was between the Germans, and the Russians, not the Yugoslavians, there would have been a number of rifles there but chiefly would have been 98K's, and Mosin Nagants, no M-48's like I said they wern't even built yet, let alone issued....

The claim is that the Yugo gov captured and used the machinery, etc to make the YUGO M48. So it's TECHNICALLY German....

Yugoslavia was manufacturing Mausers before the War, the Germans would have had no reason to remove the Yugoslavian machinery just to replace it with German machinery, after the war the Yugoslavians just started manufacturing Mausers again on the same machinery they used before the war....

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Lot's of good posts here.
Whether or not you should purchase one of these rifles or not depends upon what you want and what alternative options are available to you.  If you want a WWII German Mauser (K98) then you need to check out your local gunshows.  These guns are getting very difficult to find in very good condition.  The "Golden Age" of WWII surplus arms is long over (1960's).  But they are still not prohibitably expensive, selling for around $160.00 - $200.00.  But don't expect to find many diamonds.
On the other hand, if you don't care about pedigree, but simply want a new (or near new) Mauser rifle, then the Mitchell's guns are as advertised in terms of having bright, shiny bores, etc.
The third consideration as to whether or not they are a good value for the dollar can only be answered by you.  I get a little peeved at the way many folks presume to tell others how they should spend their money. That's YOUR business!  Obviously, if you're doing well and won't miss the cash, there's no reason why you shouldn't spend it any way you see fit.  If you're thinking about spending your rent money on a new gun........well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd just save my money and search around for a nice captured Russian or Yugo rifle. At least you'd have an authentic German 98k. Here is my Yugo capture Mauser. It has been stripped clean of German markings with the exception of a few on the rear sight. The bolt is actually from a WWI Mauser. I paid $99.00 bucks for my rifle and was told the bolt alone was worth that much!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]

where did i say fac was offering M48 yugos mausers from the battle of stalingrad. THEY ARE K98's. I also said they come with some documentation. haven't seen one don't know if it's legit or not. Might want to learn to read before you try and start a flame fest.

geeeeze another newbie that can't read.

Post number 10, your first post in this thread....

They are not K-98's, there M-48's Mitchells call them that but that does not make them K-98's, that would be like me calling a Ford, a Chevy, just because I say it it doesn't make it true, it's a marketing ploy to fool people like you, and I see that it worked....

If you still don't believe me then look for yourself the first picture is a 98k, the second is an M-48:

Do you see the differance?....

If you arn't able to tell, the machineing of the K-98 is much finer, it has a differant style nose cap, it has a take down disk in the stock, and the handgaurd is shorter, the M-48 is a little beefier, has a differant style nose cap, does not have a takedown disk, and the handgaurd is longer extending all the way back past the rear sights....

If you'de like to learn more then check:

p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums , or www.mlsurpshooter.net

Then click on the German millitary Mauser Forum, and the Yugoslavian Mauser Forum....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
SOG has m48's in very good/exc condition for $79
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
poor mitchel's sounds like their market is getting flooded.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In 1998 I think Mitchells went to what was left of Yugoslavia, dug through what was left of the factory after Klinton bombed it, and found a bunch of spare parts, thats right spare parts, over the years the Yugoslavians took some parts off the production line before assembly, and set them asside for use as spare parts, thats what Mitchells found, Mitchells bought the parts and imported them into the US where they were assembled into brand new rifles, since they were blank unserialized parts Mitchells just stamps them when there done so all matching, and the differant styls they have in terms of stamped parts, all that means is they for example reach into bin B instead of bin A, only thing is they didn't get any stocks from Yugoslavia they ordered brand new Teak ones from China....  So Mitchells Mausers are not unissued M-48's, there new production....

Why did Mitchells go through all this trouble to make a M48 identical to the non-Mitchell M48s you see at every gun show?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
That's not my picture, that's the picture from ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums web page.  

Quoted:
Your Pic is a Swis K-31....(I have several of them, and love them)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top