Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 4:44:38 PM EDT
clinton cut two divisions from the Army as I remember??

anyways kerry keeps saying he is going to build the military back up (yeah right, but it sounds good)

Why hasn't bush built up the military more, i think it would make sense to have alot more active troops.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
He's building it up.

I signed today, Army. Along with 10 other people at MEPS today.

John
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Because Rumsfeld wants a "transformed" force.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He's building it up.

I signed today, Army. Along with 10 other people at MEPS today.

John

Yep, I'll be joining the service [again] early next year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
He is pumping up the economy and modernizing at the same time.  Old stock is being used and new equipment is being bought.  Someone has to make the equipment!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Despite the "Help is on the way" campaign speech in 2000, there was not a significant amount of new $$ in the administration's first budget proposal for DoD.  9-11 changed that, but the new money and a pretty good chunk of existing budget dollars have gone to funding current operations.

In the administration's defense, OSD didn't want ot apply significant resources towards procurement or manpower until the "way forward" on transformation was clear.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Because Rumsfeld wants a "transformed" force.

+1.
I think Rummy is the most conservative of the bunch. It seems to me that they want an efficient military as opposed to a large military.
If they are being honest about being able to complete missions without enlarging the military, I'm all for it.

The trouble always seems to start when you relax the standards to grow the military. If they stick to their guns and come up with a realistic rotation schedule, we'll may well end up with a competent, experinced military.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you people read the Constitution?

ALL appropriations MUST originate in the House of Representatives.  No matter how much pull the Executive thinks it has, it don't go unless the House says so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why don't you people read the Constitution?

ALL appropriations MUST originate in the House of Representatives.  No matter how much pull the Executive thinks it has, it don't go unless the House says so.

Who submits the budget??  To whom is it submitted??  The Bush administration's proposed first budget had very little new money for DoD prior to 9-11.  After 9-11, the budget proposal was dramatically altered.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they are slowley,but in the process of upgrading the technology so we get the most for the man power we have.I dont think we will ever see a military the size of the one that fought the first gulf war as that was built by Reagan to fight the soviets in europe,but if we are going to educate the peace loving muslm world on the proper way to interact with us infidels we will need more boots on the ground.Kerry is right though,we will need more allies to help us fight the war on terror,I say let Israel occupy Syria and we will handle the occupation of Iran come december in Bushs second term
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Where is the REAL army, and why aren't they fighting in Iraq, as apposed to Reservists?  I met a few of them a week back......not saying their all like that but the ones I saw made me nervous....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
A few things...the transformation should yield more battalions available for combat.  This would in effect raise the combat power of the Army without increasing the size.

I think they would like to increase the size more than they have (they are adding 40,000 to the Army and Marines this fiscal year) but building new brigades and divisions takes lots of trained and senior men away from their units.  It's tough to pull off in wartime.

Clinton cut more like 10 divisions if you include Guard and Reserve.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top