Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 4:10:55 PM EDT
Correct me if I am wrong. But didn't President Bush, before the war began, tell the American public that Iraqi oil would pay to rebuild Iraq's infrastructure?

It is my understanding that oil production is at or above pre-war levels today.

If the above is on target, reckon when it will begin?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The main holdup is the gov't. Since the Iraqi .gov is not the permanate .gov the money goes into a reconstruction fund for use by the new legitimate .gov.

The other problem is not so much the money, but finding the contractors to work there.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah bush said alot of things before we invaded.  Things have changed  I just wish I wasn't paying 239 for gas!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
But aren't we(tax payers) footing the bill for all improvemrnts? And isn't the military making a goodly number of permanent improvements?

If there is a "fund," I wonder how much $$ has been placed into this fund?

Not trying to be a smart-arse, I'm curious.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The figures for oil production should be available. Just multiply the production by the average cost of a bbl of oil over the past year. That should give you a ballpark.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is that they are using the oil $$$ for some rebuilding and construction and government salaries etc.  Also to fix up the oil fields and infrastructure and guard everything.  It's around $1 billion a week right now in oil revenue. Iraq also has a gigantic international debt and I hope the money is being set aside to pay that down.  

We have not spent much $$$ on reconstruction there.  Something like $20 billion has been allocated but only a few billion spent.

We also got our paws on a lot of the left over oil for food money for reconstruction plus other captured Saddam assets.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top