Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 3:46:42 PM EDT
The following is the reply e-mail I got from Dr. Michael Crow on the subject of posters created by a Asst. Professor at ASU, John Leanos, about the death of Pat Tillman. I have not been able to find the original thread where this Fire Mission was issued, however, if anyone can find it I would be greatly appreciative. Basically, a hispanic studies teacher named John Leanos created posters with the image of Pat Tillman in his Ranger uniform, with a text to the side that read:

"I was killed by my own Army Ranger platoon in Afganistan on April 22nd, 2004. I am a hero to many of you. My death was tragic my glory was short lived. Flawed perceptions of myself my country and the war on terror resulted in the disasterous end to my life."

Myself and others found these remarks to be defamatory and that John Leanos should be reprimanded for his misuse of the likeness of Pat Tillman. So, we sent e-mails to the Pres. of ASU, Dr. Michael Crow, asking for a formal reprimand and this is the response I got:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Dr. John Leaños’ recent public display of anti-war posters featuring Cpl. Pat Tillman.  In response, I am compelled to state unequivocally that I personally found Dr. Leaños’ decision to use Pat’s likeness and fictional first-person narrative as the vehicle for his message to be offensive and insensitive to the Tillman family.  Furthermore, I wish to clarify that the ASU administration had no prior knowledge that the posters in question were going to be created or displayed.  In keeping with our university’s longstanding tradition of academic freedom and integrity, a comprehensive administrative review of this matter has already been initiated.    

As always, ASU continues to be enormously proud of its affiliation with Pat Tillman.  Pat’s spirit, talent and noble sacrifice represent the very best of ASU and we were fortunate to count him among our Sun Devil family.  Since his untimely passing, ASU has hosted a memorial service in Pat’s honor, joined with the Arizona Cardinals to create the Pat Tillman Memorial Scholarship in the W.P. Carey School of Business, and will soon retire Pat’s jersey (#42) at the ASU/Washington State football game on November 13, 2004.  ASU representatives have also agreed to serve in an advisory capacity to the Pat Tillman Foundation.  As ideas are considered regarding the establishment of a permanent memorial, you can be certain that ASU’s respectful acknowledgement of his memory will continue for many years to come.

Once again, I very much appreciate your direct communication on this issue and your continued allegiance to Pat’s legacy.

Michael M. Crow

President

Michael M. Crow

President

Arizona State University

Box 872203

Tempe, AZ  85287-2203

480-965-8972

[email protected]

Crow never even addresses the problem, he just states that there is "a comprehensive administrative review" underway.  Furthermore, he tries to redirect attention away from John Leanos' offenses and more towards a "memorial" being considered to be put up by ASU. I think this is clearly not enough and that Dr. Crow and the administration are trying to get by on lip service.

PLEASE... if you feel that Pat Tillman, his family, and the soldiers fighting for our nation have been done wrong, ACT! Contact information for Dr. Crow is presented above.. please send him an e-mail telling him what you think about Mr. Leanos and his actions.

Article identifying Leanos as being responsible for the posters:

www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp?S=2398355&nav=23KtRjD9
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think thats a canned reply... I've seen it before somewhere else.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It is, but I still think it is bs and that they aren't taking the offense seriously.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
It's ASU man.  It's impossible to fire anyone, even if they wanted to

A tenured ASU faculty member was caught making esctasy in the ASU chemistry labs, and they had a hell of a time firing that guy.   They can't do shit to this guy, even if they wanted too.

Police call ASU professor 'leader' in Ecstasy drug ring

By Doug Murphy Staff Writer

Ralph Backhaus was a "leader" in an Ecstasy manufacturing ring that extended from Idaho Falls, Idaho, to California, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

"Backhaus is one of our primary suspects," DPS spokesman Frank Valenzuela said, adding that the Arizona State University biology professor is a "leader in the case."

DPS officers arrested the Ahwatukee Foothills resident at his home in the 3700 block of East Rocky Slope Road on Jan. 10 on 11 felony charges handed down by a Maricopa County grand jury.

Backhaus was charged with money laundering, possession of narcotic drugs, operating an illegal enterprise and manufacturing a dangerous drug, according to Maricopa County Superior Court documents.

He posted an $88,500 bond the day after his arrest, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff's department.

Valenzuela said the investigation into the drug manufacturing ring, which used an ASU laboratory and supplies to make MDMA, commonly called Ecstasy, began in Idaho Falls. Backhaus and his teaching assistant Clayton Prepsky of Tempe, ordered chemicals through the university to manufacture the drug, according to Valenzuela.

Prepsky remained in county jail as of Jan. 18. Court records show that he was arrested on charges of money laundering, operating an illegal enterprise and manufacturing a dangerous drug.

"He (Backhaus) also developed some type of money-laundering scheme so that the people involved could deposit money into an account he created, which he said was for some type of Alzheimer's research," Valenzuela said.

Backhaus is on paid leave from his teaching position, according to ASU assistant vice president Nancy Neff.

"We are still determining our options," she said last week.

The lab was the third manufacturing site discovered in Arizona, Valenzuela said.

Explaining that manufacturing Ecstasy is a complex process, Valenzuela said: "The people involved usually have a degree."

Additional arrests in California and Idaho are possible, the DPS spokesman said.

Like I said, they had a hell of a time firing this guy, it was a big fight.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
my bro-in-law works at a university and they would have to give him one year notice if they wanted to fire him.  he says many univ. have that policy.  great job security, pathetic policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top