Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 3:15:31 PM EDT
Gas heater with ignitor.

It rained and flooded our basement where the water heater is.  The heater is not raised and the burner sits close to the floor and basically got flooded and went out.  I'm in the process of pumping it out.  How should I go about getting the heater back operating, assuming it is not damaged but only damp, a little (or a lot dirty) etc?

Thanks

I'm heading to the hardware store for some gasketing for the cellar door to keep this from being such a large problem.  Back in an hour.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Disconnect the gas line after turning off the valve on the line coming out of the wall. Disconnect the 2 lines coming out of the controll box on the heater and blow through them to push the water out, leave these lines disconnected for a few hours to allow any water in the controll box/regulator to evaporate. Before you hook it back up, build a stand that will hold your water heater at least 18 inches above the floor, this will help when it floods but also will keep the pilot above the combustible fumes if any flammable liquids are stored down there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Disconnect the gas line after turning off the valve on the line coming out of the wall. Disconnect the 2 lines coming out of the controll box on the heater and blow through them to push the water out, leave these lines disconnected for a few hours to allow any water in the controll box/regulator to evaporate. Before you hook it back up, build a stand that will hold your water heater at least 18 inches above the floor, this will help when it floods but also will keep the pilot above the combustible fumes if any flammable liquids are stored down there. Good luck.

Please if possible explain the "18inches above the floor to avoid combustable fumes" thing to me.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please if possible explain the "18inches above the floor to avoid combustable fumes" thing to me.

It's code in the city's that I work in, I work for the largest natural gas company in the U.S. Most flameable liquids produce fumes that are heavier than air, therefore they tend to settle to floor level. If the pilot on the heater is at floor level it can ignite the fumes, 18 inches up and it is less of a danger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to build a  stand – Home Depot and other home improvement stores sell them pre-made.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting..  Thanks for the info.  I will definately keep it in the back of my mind.

(I have an elect water heater)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top