wrong
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yes

wrong!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It is not a firearm ----------  is a piece of metal.

are you sure ???

show me -------------------
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You need a short barrel AND a (unregistered) reciever to put it on, or it's not a crime.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

are you sure ???

Burden of proof is on you to show that possession of the object is covered by any existing laws or regulations.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
No, it's not illegal.

You can go and purchase a 7.5" barreled AR upper right now...so long as you don't own an AR lower receiver anywhere (or if you do own an AR, it's no where near the lower...I'm talking like miles distance, and preferrably locked away).

Theoretically, you could go out, buy all the Colt FA M16 parts in the world..so long as you don't have a receiver to put them into.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

are you sure ???

He asked if it was illegal, not legal. I think you just got confused.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No, it's not illegal.

You can go and purchase a 7.5" barreled AR upper right now...so long as you don't own an AR lower receiver anywhere (or if you do own an AR, it's no where near the lower...I'm talking like miles distance, and preferrably locked away).

Theoretically, you could go out, buy all the Colt FA M16 parts in the world..so long as you don't have a receiver to put them into.

So if I'm waiting to get my tax stamp for my SBR back from the ATF, I could go ahead and buy the 10.5" upper now, and keep it in my office (20+ miles from my house and my ARs) until I get the tax stamp and the lower engraved?

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
That is what I thought.

The NFA says nothing about parts for a SBR or SBS.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

are you sure ???

I ain't showing you shit - F/O

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, it's not illegal.

So if I'm waiting to get my tax stamp for my SBR back from the ATF, I could go ahead and buy the 10.5" upper now, and keep it in my office (20+ miles from my house and my ARs) until I get the tax stamp and the lower engraved?

YES
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, it's not illegal.

Yep.

As I understand it (IANAL) it's only intent if they're "in proximity" to each other. Probably best asked in the CIII forum, but so long as the upper is locked away from any immeadiate and easy access from the AR (this includes a safe in the domicile, BTW...that's a no-go...)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The 'Collection of Parts' deal applies to machineguns only...

So if you have enough parts to do a MG conversion, that's illegal

For a SBR, 'constructive posession' ONLY applies if you have the SBR barrel & a reciever that has been made into a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, it's not illegal.

YES

Thanks - I hope the ATF hurry up either way!  I'm getting impatient.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you sure ???

He asked if it was illegal, not legal. I think you just got confused.

Ok I deserved this then -- your right

Been a long day -- better quit the board now while I am ahead.
night all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Try to buy an SBR barrel. The seller will ask for C3 tax stamp before transfering it to you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Try to buy an SBR barrel. The seller will ask for C3 tax stamp before transfering it to you.

Vendors at gun shows sell them to anyone, all the time, no questions asked other than "Will that be cash or charge?" and maybe "Paper or plastic?"

And look at Bushmaster's catalog.  They have a warning on short barrel assemblies, but no tax stamp requirement (as they do for M16 lower internals).
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#23]
please quit the board, permanently cyanide . it would be a much better place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
please quit the board, permanently dumbass.

You need to be more specific - you could be talking to anybody
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm not saying that I don't believe you - I just haven't had the same experience.  There is no transfer requirement for an upper...please remember freedom advocacy.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#26]
edited, see above .
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Only place that I know of that does that, is Bushmaster...because they're about as PC as Colt when it comes to selling to civilians.

Any other place that I can think of that I've bought from, only stated that all NFA laws apply, and made sure I understood it. (And yes, everything was bought to the legal minimum of 16" where applicable ).
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I've seen it tried at fun shows here. I saw a guy try to buy a 12" barrel for a FAL at a show in Nashville. The seller said no dice unless he had C3 paperwork for a FAL.
The guys that sell the 7 and 11" AR barrels won't sell either.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've seen it tried at fun shows here. I saw a guy try to buy a 12" barrel for a FAL at a show in Nashville. The seller said no dice unless he had C3 paperwork for a FAL.
The guys that sell the 7 and 11" AR barrels won't sell either.

Oh well.

Well, they're wacked, what can I say

There's no reason not to sell them. What if the person has a pistol upper for an AR? Or if the person buying the 12" FAL barrel has a 4.5" flash supressor to permanently attach to it? (Which it'd need...those things throw some flame!)

*shrug* YMMV...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#30]
What about if the barrel isn't readily installed?  For instance, you want to build a 14.5" AR carbine but with a pinned/welded brake or fs bringing the overall length past 16"  Would it be legal to have the barrel (not mounted to the upper) if you had an AR15?  A short barreled upper I could see being hinky because it only takes 2 pins to swap out uppers, no tools required.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only place that I know of that does that, is Bushmaster...because they're about as PC as Colt when it comes to selling to civilians.

Any other place that I can think of that I've bought from, only stated that all NFA laws apply, and made sure I understood it. (And yes, everything was bought to the legal minimum of 16" where applicable ).

How can you blame them? They just settled a lawsuit for 500 grand for a rifle stolen from one of their dealers. Blame the fucking lawyers and the democrats.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How can you blame them? They just settled a lawsuit for 500 grand for a rifle stolen from one of their dealers. Blame the fucking lawyers and the democrats.

Easy.

I was looking at purchasing a new upper for my SP1 Carbine, 11.5", and have them leave it unmolested so I could affix the appropriate muzzle device to it myself for my carbine, to get a mostly realistic XM177 look to the rifle.

They refused to sell me a plain simple 11.5" barreled upper without the permanently attached 5.5" flash supressor they sell.

This was in 2000.

Sorry...but this is well before the whole lawsuit thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got off the phone with Model 1 Sales - because I was asking about price and availability of a 10.5 upper, and they told me that they would only sell me one AFTER I fax them a copy of my tax stamp.

So apparently Bushmaster is NOT the only company that does this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can blame them for settling on that lawsuit.

If you were the CEO of Ford, would you settle on a lawsuit involving a drunk driver who was driving a Mustang?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I can blame them for settling on that lawsuit.

If you were the CEO of Ford, would you settle on a lawsuit involving a drunk driver who was driving a Mustang?

And if the presiding judge is a Clinton appointee?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Let me get this straight...you want a 10" or 11.5" barrel, THE HARDEST BARREL TO GET TO RUN PROPERLY, and you called Model 1?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Let me get this straight...you want a 10" or 11.5" barrel, THE HARDEST BARREL TO GET TO RUN PROPERLY, and you called Model 1?  

I think I'll buy it eventually from CMMG since they are local (and are really nice people and have great quality), but I jsut wanted to know what my options were.  

but - I thought the problems with the shorter barrels were mostly for full-auto use, not semi?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top