Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 2:59:57 PM EDT
so, what is the best way to prevent this besides building a moat, spike strips and mines?

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Like mailbox baseball?

good suggestions here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=280855

or are they running them over which is a whole nuther tack...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
get a brick mailbox....  that will end it.... NOW
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Like mailbox baseball?

good suggestions here:

Taking bats to em.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Would a 2-liter bottle of tannerite in the mailbox be set off by the force of a baseball bat?

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like mailbox baseball?

good suggestions here:

Taking bats to em.

I do not advocate booby traps to quell property crimes, but If I did, I seem to remember a guy who spent a few $$ and got a chunk of (cast?) industrial rubber, painted it like a mailbox and mounted it to a pretty thick pipe.  I heard that would make someone WISH they hit a cement filled one.  

Maybe an urban legend, but hey, it's the internet, right?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
get a brick mailbox....  that will end it.... NOW

In these parts those are seen as a challenge. So fare the longest lasting mailbox had a 15 foot base and the box itself was 12" pipe with 3/4" walls, but a F-250 hit it and both th truck and mail box where totalled
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing my grandpa told me he did years ago when his box kept getting smashed, was get a bigger mailbox to put on the outside.  then he put the normal sized one on the inside. (couple inch gap) then he mixed concrete and filled inbetween them.  Any kid taking a swing at that will really wish he didnt.  That would also do some SERIOUS damage to a car or truck.  

as funny as it would be to see, in these days you're probably liable to get sued if you do that, even though they're destroying your property.  Thank the lawyers....

i suppose you always run the risk of someone  hitting it in a legitimate car accident, and causing some serious damage.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]

In these parts those are seen as a challenge. So fare the longest lasting mailbox had a 15 foot base and the box itself was 12" pipe with 3/4" walls, but a F-250 hit it and both th truck and mail box where totalled

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Make one out of tissue paper and cardboard- maybe they'll throw a shoulder joint out taking a swing at it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One thing my grandpa told me he did years ago when his box kept getting smashed, was get a bigger mailbox to put on the outside.  then he put the normal sized one on the inside. (couple inch gap) then he mixed concrete and filled inbetween them.  Any kid taking a swing at that will really wish he didnt.  That would also do some SERIOUS damage to a car or truck.  

as funny as it would be to see, in these days you're probably liable to get sued if you do that, even though they're destroying your property.  Thank the lawyers....

i suppose you always run the risk of someone  hitting it in a legitimate car accident, and causing some serious damage.  

Someeone else in another thread related that they did something similar:  every evening, they would go place the "concrete box" on the post, and in the morning, replace it with the real mailbox.  Sure enough, one night, the kids drive by and hit it with a bat froma  moving car ... kid breaks his arm .. guy hears the noise .. kids drive off, guy goes and places the regular mailbox outside on the post and hides the concrete-filled mailbox.  Kid comes back or cops or somebody and homeowner is like I don't know what you mean officer, my mailbox is fine, see it right here?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry, if I'd known it was an Arfcommers mailbox I wouldn't have hit it. I was down there visiting some crazy cousins of mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top