Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 7:27:15 PM EDT
Okay, I'm certainly not an Arachnophobiac(spelling?) but these guys are getting on my nerves. I have killed about 10-12 of these in the last 2 weeks in my basement and they are all this size or slightly bigger. I expect to see spiders in my basement, but not ones bigger than my FOOT!!!!!!! Seriously, I just finished the basement, and my 2 toddlers and I spend alot of time playing/watching tv down there so i want to get rid of them.  Approximately 3 weeks ago I purchased some Bengal concentrated insect killer and sprayed the basement with it and it has apparently had no effect.  Any ideas?
Jasba.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nuke the site from orbit...  only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
picture came up late for me. whoops
Nevermind

Looks like a wolf spider.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Common wolf spider.  I saw one yesterday between 2-3 inches across in front of the threshold of my entry door.  They are all over VA.  No big deal!  They were here before us, and will be here after...

In the summer they keep to the outdoors, but when it gets cooler, you'll see them hunting on the edges of warm retreats.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolf Spider

Spiders are pretty resistant to pesticide, but wolf spiders (while creepy) arent dangerous.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf Spider
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
wolf spider...at least it's not the clock spider...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]
It is a wolf spider and therefore harmless… except for the times where it makes you run into walls, posts, ect.

Leave him alone. Spraying enough to kill them will be more far dangerous to the kids that the spiders will be. And they eat the really harmful spiders.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in St. Louis and spent lots of time across the river in the country, NEVER remembered them this big. Shoes seem to be working fine when I see them right now, I want something that will keep them out of the basement and away from me, any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
They are not dangerous.
They are wolf spiders.
They are scary looking.

When I moved into my home 6 years ago, the yard was overrun with those spiders.
when you mowed the lawn, if you stopped, you could see them running around on the ground.
I bought some bug/spider spray at Lowe's that you spray on your yard/house containing Diazanon (?).
It attaches to your garden hose and mixes in the spray bottle, while spraying.
After spraying the entire yard, twice over a couple days, there were no more spiders for a couple years.
Now, I apply once a year.
Being sure to spray the hell out of the areas around the house, and on the house very thoroughly.
Obviously, this is more of a preventative, than a cure.  But it will work over time, as they stop living and breeding on your property.
The spray will mean less food for them, too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Common wolf spider.  I saw one yesterday between 2-3 inches across in front of the threshold of my entry door.  They are all over VA.  No big deal!  They were here before us, and will be here after...

In the summer they keep to the outdoors, but when it gets cooler, you'll see them hunting on the edges of warm retreats.

Yeah, that guy there is standing on a 2 x 4, which is of course 3 1/2 nominal, so he's about 2 3/4" long. I've had a couple bigger than him last week.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
have you seen them walk on the waters surface tension? (SP)

pretty neat.
they were all over the dock we fished at as kids.

Chris

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are not dangerous.
They are wolf spiders.
They are scary looking.

When I moved into my home 6 years ago, the yard was overrun with those spiders.
when you mowed the lawn, if you stopped, you could see them running around on the ground.
I bought some bug/spider spray at Lowe's that you spray on your yard/house containing Diazanon (?).
It attaches to your garden hose and mixes in the spray bottle, while spraying.
After spraying the entire yard, twice over a couple days, there were no more spiders for a couple years.
Now, I apply once a year.
Being sure to spray the hell out of the areas around the house, and on the house very thoroughly.
Obviously, this is more of a preventative, than a cure.  But it will work over time, as they stop living and breeding on your property.
Less food, too.

Thanks for the info. I do not think Diazinon is available anymore, but I'm sure I could find something similar that will work. Figured they were coming in from the large wooded area outside the back of my house, not the yard. I'll definately try that..........
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I grew up in St. Louis and spent lots of time across the river in the country, NEVER remembered them this big. Shoes seem to be working fine when I see them right now, I want something that will keep them out of the basement and away from me, any ideas?

Weatherstripping and foaming other paths.  They are very resistant to chemicals.  Wasp killer will take around 30 seconds to a Minute to do it.  The big ones will walk out of the chemical 'wet spot' and leave tracks to where you will find them dead.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel about them like I do non-poisonous snakes. As long as the stay off me and try to stay out of my way I leave them alone, as anything they eat, I probably like less than them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

pretty neat.

Chris

Those aren't wolf spiders.  I know exactly what you are talking about though: Water Treaders  striders!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I do not think Diazinon is available anymore, but I'm sure I could find something similar that will work. Figured they were coming in from the large wooded area outside the back of my house, not the yard. I'll definately try that..........

I think you may be correct.  I know it was different a few years ago from the first time I bought it.
Heavan forbid we mere citizens have access to something that works.  We're too stupid to take appropriate precautions while applying.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Wolf Spider.

Flame Thrower/Naplam.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Airsoft!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Buckshot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pretty neat.

Chris

Those aren't wolf spiders.  I know exactly what you are talking about though: Water Treaders!

You mean Water Striders?  No I actually see WOLF SPIDERS living near the water and on the underside of docks.  Yes, they will run across the water just fine.  I think their hairy covering sheds the water pretty well, and that is probably why it takes longer for insecticide to kill them.

Actually most spiders are pretty fragile.  Just a quick shot of burning hairspray works pretty well!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#24]
water striders to me are the small ones that are always on the water. these were 2-3 inches round to the tips and look just like the regular wolf spiders clung to the bottom of the dock mostly, but you could run them out sinking a corner of it..
big fuzzy nasty suckers.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

pretty neat.

Chris

Those aren't wolf spiders.  I know exactly what you are talking about though: Water Treaders  striders!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a wolf ...they're actually helpful for you cause they get rid of less desireable insects, like roaches, earwigs,ants etc.....it's damn near impossible to eliminate spiders with insecticides because of the high level at which the body is...it only gets on the spiders legs or feet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#26]
My parents used to have a lot of wolf spiders in their basement.  Spraying around the foundation once a year is the best thing they've done.  Also, I've had success with the "bug bombs" you can buy anywhere.  Set it, let it spray, and then let it air out for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Dont know. But windex and raid work well. Or the bottom of a shoe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Pyrethrum powder around the base boards and in the corners and hideaways.  It's safe for kids and dogs (don't know about safe for cats and quite frankly don't care!).   It's made from crushed chrysanthemums (yeah, the flower).  They actually use it to delouse people with no toxic effects but it's real good on bugs, spiders, ticks, etc.

Kill what they eat or kill them, either way they go away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#29]
1: Gumout carb cleaner
2: Zippo
3: Aim and Fire

Woody
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Once again, I love the NW.

Oregon has both Hobo and Black Widow spiders.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Die almost instantly, has a bad after smell though, sort of like wet dirt, but fun to play with Can be had at just about any pharmacy, wally world etc

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Could be worse.

Hunter out....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]
WTH is that???

Chris

Quoted:
Could be worse.
cosray.wustl.edu/~lscott/pictures/cairns/jungle_tour_huge_spider_01.jpg
Hunter out....

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I just whacked that little things big brother with a hammer.........twice!

I think the first hit just pissed him off. And no I'm not limp wristed.

Well, one down, about a thousand more to go.There's another one in the basement everyday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#38]
think of them as little hairy 8-legged house cats that eat roaches.

they will scare the sh!t out of you at 3:30AM in the morning when you stumble into the kitchen half asleep looking for something to drink.  But don't ask me how I know that.

otherwise, leave them be.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top