Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 6:31:48 PM EDT
And what do you think?

I have been seriously thinking about getting one. I understand you can put a little thingy on it and listen to it through any FM radio. And the 40g one hold 10K songs? sonofabitch....

I know my fellow gadget whores have some, can we get a few reviews please?

thankx!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Love it.  One of my favorite toys that I have got.  Have over a weeks straight worth of music on it.  7+ days of never hearing the same tune.  

The FM transmitter through a car kinda sucks (plays through radio waves).  It works, but yet it doesn't.  

The best way to get it to play in your car is to get an aftermarket stereo with a face plate that will let you plug the IPOD directly to it.  If you don't have that, you can get what is called an FM modulator, which completly shuts off youf attenna except for the wire playing the IPOD.  This is what I have in my car and it is pretty nice.  You just flip a switch to listen between the radio and IPOD. The modulator and all the adapters for my car were like a $150 (if I remember right) and I had a buddy install it, cause I don't know shit about car radios.

www.ipodlounge.com has a whole forum dedicated to car install for more info.    
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mrs. ByteTheBullet has an iPod Mini and she loves it. I think I am going to start using the iTunes software on my PC for my mp3 and such, it is pretty nice.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
They seem cool, but I just use a MiniDisc Player, no HD but I don't have 10K songs to listen to... I doubt I could even find 200 songs I wanted on my player so the MiniDisc works for me (Great battery life too).
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had CD players, MD players but the IPOD takes the cake. Its awesome. I use it constantly. Hardly ever leave home without it. There's a company called Dr. Bot make a kick ass car charger/radio sender. Has easily a 100 yard range. It will drown out regular stations.

I can't say enough about it.

Also it is THE MP3 player to get, the aftermarket support out there for the IPOD dwarves everything else. Its the 10/22 of the MP3 player world in that respect.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There are better players for less money than the iPod.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
have one here.
when the battery dies it likes to crash on you alot then you have to reset it:( but otherwise one of apples things they did right for once :)
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
A guy in the room next to mine in my suite has one.  He's a super-computer-programmer-gamer-smart-guy type.  He does his research thoroughly; about as well as most of us do for our shooting toys.  He loves his.  I never see him without it.  I think it's pretty kickass.  When he wants a file, regardless of type it seems, he can come to my room, hook it up to my notebook and save it on the iPod; then he brings it over to his room and dumps it on his PC.  He stores Word docs in there and all kinds of junk.  

It seems to be the choice of a lot of computer oriented guys.  A friend of mine at Airborne school this summer had one of the older ones.  He works systems with PsyOps and used to be big in computer/IT/graphic design stuff when he was a civvy.  

Basically I've never heard any complaints, though I don't have one, so I can't say from extended personal experience.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Dell DJ and love it.  The battery will last about 8 hrs.  15 GB and 20 GB models available for around $200.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Ipod owner here, love it. no complaints what so-ever, I am on my second one though, had one for two years till it got run over by a humvee in Bahrain, doh.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I've tried a couple of hard-drive based MP3 players and finally settled on the IPOD. I'm normally pretty anti-Apple but they've definitely got a winner in the IPOD.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are better players for less money than the iPod.

Care to name one?  I have an older Ipod and might upgrade to a larger soze down the road but not sure if it will be Ipod or a competitor.  From all I've read Ipod is still the standard.

When I did my research, I settled on the iRiver. Far greater battery life, more features, easier PC combatability, better sound quality for the same price as the iPod. For less than an iPod, you can go with many that match the iPod features, but are just not as "cool." I considered Creative, Dell, Jet Audio, and Philips.

I must say, the 4th generation iPods are finally getting decent battery life. Even with the new longer iPod battery life, I still get about 1/3 longer play time per charge than can an iPod. Since I have to fly across both oceans with some frequency, the longer battery life was a huge issue for me. I have been on numerous flights where the iPod user in my row ran out of power in flight and had to resort to listening to <gasp> the in-flight music.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 20gig IPOD and it will hold my entire CD collection and more.  I have used not even a fifth of the memory.  I have a direct link to the radio in the BMW.  Much better then the FM modulator.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a mini and like it fine.

AAC blows MP3 away in sound quality. I know; I design digital audio and video equipment for a living, and have been involved with MPEG A/V development for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Trendy.  Delicate.  Lot's of memory.  Better products for less money.  For sporting (ie. banging around like snowboarding, off road biking, etc) get a flash memory mp3 player.  If you drop your ipod on the ground, it will break.  I've seen this happen already twice.  Sonic blue is the best.

For a player that you will use just sitting around an office or home, the ipod is fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Look int an Iaudio M3L....30 hrs batt, radio, remote and more..AND IT PLAYS FLAC!

I love mine!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I use mine in my truck, on planes, hunting, everywhere. It's been dropped plenty and still works fine.

Anyone who says MP3 sounds as good as AAC is blowing smoke (and probably inhaling it as well).
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 20gb iPod, so far I have around 1300 songs on there, its about 1/3 full.  And I love it, it really makes your CD collection osbolete if you get the FM transmitter with it.  I bougt mine in the spring so I wouldn't have to take my huge book of CDs with me to Europe.  Its really nice because if you want to listen to a different band, you don't have to dig out another CD, then file away the old CD, its just so easy.  And you can just shuffle all the songs which is nice for when you are feeling indecisive but want to listen to some music, it will pick for you.

The newer iPods released this summer now have 12hr battery life, compared to my 6hrs.  And some other improvments.  

Bottom line is it is probably the best money I've spent on an electronic device.  It's part of my standard load-out, along with my cell phone, lip vaseline, knife, etc (and soon to be Sig 226 )

Brian
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Irivers I have seen have limited storage capacity... maybe 1 gig at the most... what model paeber?  Link?

iHP 120. It has 20 GB. They also make a 40 GB model.

I do not record anything in MP3s on it. Everything is in OGG Vorbis.

iRiver
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Good sound quality
Easy to use
Cool design

HATE:
Not great battery life
Supposed to send it in to have battery replaced ($100)

Very short tech support, then you are on your own (reading up on forums, etc.) to solve problems.  I download the latest iTunes and the iPod would no longer synch.  Tried to figure out a way to ask apple what to do.  Good luck.  Unless you want to pay.  And they caused it.  Support=expensive.  Repairs=expensive (plus you pay for them to ship you an empty box.  They won't accept it in any other box)

With all the new ones out now, I would probably go with one of those if I had to buy again.  The iPod is very cool, and at the time, nothing could touch it.  I don't think that is the case any more, or not for much longer...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Trendy.  Delicate.  Lot's of memory.  Better products for less money.  For sporting (ie. banging around like snowboarding, off road biking, etc) get a flash memory mp3 player.  If you drop your ipod on the ground, it will break.  I've seen this happen already twice.  Sonic blue is the best.

For a player that you will use just sitting around an office or home, the ipod is fine.

My ipod got me through school of infantry alright................
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 here on the iPod. Love it. The most convenient source of music for workouts. Also, cheap replacement batteries are now available

eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=1225&Title=iPod%20Batteries&Template=1
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
New ones will have a screen for iPhoto application.  You can store and share photos just like music files.  Firewire connections allow you to use iPod as a bootable drive if you have a Mac.  Also useful for file transfers that you might otherwise do with a flash drive.  Versatile.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

LOL - who had that question about whether Army or Marine boot was harder?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my iPod...

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Mine was in a case and I dropped it about 2 feet onto a concrete step.  That was the end of that one.  That is when I got to find out about apple's horrible service.  There is a flat fee, no matter what the cost of the repair.  Which is fine, except it was going to be something like $280+ with shipping.  I sold the broken one (40gb) on ebay for $350+ and bought the 15gb model for $300.  

Still haven't filled it up.  What I found with the 40gb model, is when you put EVERYTHING you have on it and do a random shuffle, you get a lot of crappy songs that you end up skipping.  I decided I would be more selective with my song selection the second time around and have been happier...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my iPod

I wish I had one of the new color screen ones that can store your photos!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got a 30gig model. The FM transmitter through my Bose is pretty cool. I haven't tried it in the car yet. Got the 12V DC adaptor too.
I listen to radio shows vice music. They tend to take up more space. I have approx 8 three hour shows (actually 42min per hour without commercials) and some music on it. It barely took up 1 gig.
The only problem I had was the previous owner (got it off of ebay for 250 bucks) had it set up for Windows. I reset the iPod and was good to go.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL - who had that question about whether Army or Marine boot was harder?

yeah that should throw some wrenches in the cogs of that discussion!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Creative 20 gig Nomad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top