Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 6:27:57 PM EDT
What is the deal with a private joe, like me, selling some of my ammo and shipping it?  How would I do this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't ship ammo through the post office.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
UPS ground
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You might have to get a "ORM" sticker too. All my ammo comes in with that on it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yah, ammo needs to be marked ORM-D on the packaging. Don't think there's any carrier limitation.

I don't know of any other requirements other than the packaging MUST be marked ORM-D, very visibly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I shipped some via UPS a couple months ago.   Look up and comply with the requirements for packaging loaded ammo.   Basically if it's in original-type packaging (no loose ammo), decently padded, and in a stout box it should be fine.   Mark it ORM-D "Cartridges, Small Arms" and let the guy at the UPS counter know.      No big deal.

-z
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a fugging PITA!!!!  

I made too many trips back and forth to UP(B)S trying to comply with their Hazmat / ORM-D requirements.  It's always something different than what they told you last time.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
. Geeze
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By ****

Not a good thing to get caught doing, so I generally just don't ship ammo.

Do you realize that if you get caught shipping an undeclared hazardous materials shipment, the baseline civil penalty is $15,000 a DAY for every DAY the package is in transit.  That doesn't even count any possible criminal penalties. The Department of Transportation is very proactive in prosecuting HAZMAT violations.  And yes, small arms ammunition is considered HAZMAT.

OK, you edited your's, so I'll do mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the deal with a private joe, like me, selling some of my ammo and shipping it?  How would I do this?

Here are the Department of Transportation regulations concerning shipment of small arms ammunition:

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173

173.63 Packaging exceptions

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices.  (1) Cartridges, small arms and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter.  Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol, or shotgun;
(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
(v) Cartridges power devices which are use to project fastening devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 Kg (66 pounds) per package; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

Part 172 (Marking)

172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms).  The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation.

(b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a good thing to get caught doing, so I generally just don't ship ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Ammo is a regulated material for shipping. you can do it, but the cost of doing so will outweigh the cost of buying the ammo at the destination.

At work we ship ammo quite often. no big deal. just costly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top