Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 6:13:13 PM EDT
Little something to make us smile!

Weekly Reader kids select Bush in poll

The students who read Weekly Reader's magazines have made their preference for president known: they want to send President Bush back to the White House.

The results of this year's Weekly Reader poll have just been announced, and the winner is President Bush. Hundreds of thousands of students participated, giving the Republican president more than 60% of the votes cast and making him a decisive choice over Democratic Senator John Kerry.

Since 1956, Weekly Reader students in grades 1-12 have correctly picked the president, making the Weekly Reader poll one of the most accurate predictors of presidential outcomes in history.

President Bush was a strong winner in the student poll; the only state Senator Kerry won was Maryland. Senator Kerry was also in a statistical dead heat with President Bush in New York, Massachusetts, Washington, D.C. and Vermont. President Bush won most grades, although Senator Kerry did win among tenth-graders.

This year students caught election fever, with an increase of more than 20% in the number of students participating in the Weekly Reader poll than in any prior year. While there were participants from grades K through 12, third- and fourth-graders were the most enthusiastic voters. More than 57,000 students from each of those two grades voted.

The presidential poll, in which teachers collected their students' votes and forwarded them to an independent polling company to be tabulated, is part of Weekly Reader's "Promote the Vote" program, created to teach students about the election process, the issues, the candidates, and how democracy works.

"This program teaches students that voting is a privilege and a responsibility," said Emily Swenson, President of Weekly Reader. "Through this authentic experience, we are hoping students will become advocates and lifelong voters. And even though the election may be over in eight days, the learning will continue."

As part of the Promote the Vote Program, Weekly Reader will also conduct an essay contest called Write Your Own Acceptance Speech. In this contest, students from grades 3-12 will be asked to write the speech they would give if they were going to be inaugurated as president in January. Contest rules will be posted at the Weekly Reader Website beginning November 8.

To select this year's presidential poll winner, classrooms across the country submitted ballots, called in results via a toll-free number, or voted online. The results were tabulated by Zogby International, which has been conducting public opinion polls since 1984.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
13 reads after 13 hours?! Wow. That has go to be a record low!

BTT.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I remember reading that magazine when I was a kid.  It was cool, they had all these puzzles in it and articles.

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a very important predictor of the election. For one, the sample size the huge compared to the pollsters - hundreds of thousands of participants. Two, kids usually vote in reflection of their parents' views. This is very. very good!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember voting in the Weekly Reader poll. My whole school voted for Ronald Regan(1980). Except for one person who voted for Earl Campbell.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Since 1956, Weekly Reader students in grades 1-12 have correctly picked the president, making the Weekly Reader poll one of the most accurate predictors of presidential outcomes in history.

Somebody correct me if my memory fails me but I don’t think this is correct if memory serves me right they picked President Bush in the 1992 election.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
13 reads after 13 hours?! Wow. That has go to be a record low!

BTT.

this was posted a few days ago.
Glad you brought it back up though, it is fairly significant.  Certainly more than who wins the Redskins game today.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds interesting
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a good sign, unfortunatly it does not take into account the massive voter fraud and the use of lawyers that will take place this time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top