Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 3:22:04 PM EDT
From WEEK News 25

An alleged intruder busts into a Toluca home early this morning and is shot and killed by the homeowner.

Authorities don't know why the alleged intruder entered the residence but say the homeowner was justified in the shooting.

Authorities say it was inside a home across from the town's school that Douglas Allen Sullivan entered illegally and eventually was killed.

Marshall County State's Attorney Paul Bauer says the 37-year-old Sullivan busted out the back door window with a plastic slide from a child's playground set and entered the home.

Bauer said the noise was so loud it woke up 2 or 3 of the neighbors. He says the homeowner, Brad Burns, warned Sullivan that he had a gun. But, Bauer says Sullivan began cursing loudly and storming around the house.

And, when he entered the bedroom where Burns' wife and 2-year-old child were hiding in the closet, Burns shot Sullivan once and killed him.

The shooting is justifiable by the law. According to an Illinois State statute, a person is justified in the use of force in defending their home when the entry is made in a violent manner.

Bauer says Sullivan could have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Toxicology tests are pending.

But, authorities say they have no motive on why Sullivan broke into the house. And, that neither Sullivan nor the family knew each other.

In quiet, small Toluca, residents are a little on edge and shocked by what has happened. But, they are supporting the actions of the family.

Authorities say this was an isolated incident and that Toluca residents shouldn't worry.

Bauer said, ''There's no cause for fear or alarm except for the normal safety in your home. It could have happened to anybody. But, this was an isolated incident.''

Toluca is located 40 miles northeast of Peoria.

One Shot, One Kill.  'Nuff Said.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do I have this uncontrollable urge to smile about all these incidents lately?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The REAL question is what did he use to kill the intruder with???? Any guesses???? I say shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a good thing this happened downstate. Too close to Chicago and the homeowner might have some problems with the local authorities.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I say he should have challenged the man to an arm wrestling contest first.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Or debated the finer points of forced entry...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
... and then shot the bastard!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the good guys!  Too bad Chicago is still in Illinois, if they get their way, this poor guy would be on death row for not providing the intruder with all the assistance necessary to complete whatever mission he was on!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
[Liberal Moron:]He should have asked the poor man why he was so upset!  He should have tried to talk him out of his rage and considered his abusive past before taking action.  It wasn't his fault! [/Liberal Moron]

Good deal.  Another scum bag BG off the street putting the rest of us at risk.

Well Done Sir!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Cumbayaa my lord! cumbaya ! (plant a tree) cumbaya my lord !
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Marshall County State's Attorney Paul Bauer says the 37-year-old Sullivan busted out the back door window with a plastic slide from a child's playground set and entered the home.

Bauer said the noise was so loud it woke up 2 or 3 of the neighbors. He says the homeowner, Brad Burns, warned Sullivan that he had a gun. But, Bauer says Sullivan began cursing loudly and storming around the house.

And, when he entered the bedroom where Burns' wife and 2-year-old child were hiding in the closet, Burns shot Sullivan once and killed him.

...and they lived happily ever after.

The End
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Man kills noisy intruder
Man kills noisy intruder

Police: Toluca homeowner shoots after cursing, banging stranger appears at the bedroom door
Wednesday, October 27, 2004

BY GARY L. SMITH
OF THE JOURNAL STAR

TOLUCA - A Toluca homeowner shot and killed a shouting, swearing intruder who broke into the family home early Tuesday after heaving a piece of backyard playground equipment through a window, authorities said.

The bizarre episode, which terrified a young family and ended the life of Douglas Allen Sullivan, 37, was quickly declared a justifiable shooting by Marshall County State's Attorney Paul Bauer after he visited the scene and reviewed preliminary police reports.

Sullivan was unarmed and was pronounced dead at the home by County Coroner David Lenz Jr.

Homeowner Brad Burns, who killed Sullivan about 2 a.m. with a single shot from a 9 mm pistol, "was defending not only his life, but the lives of his wife and child," Bauer said. "There's no doubt in my mind that they were in fear of their lives."

What remained highly uncertain, however, as local, county, and state police sifted through evidence Tuesday, was what might have prompted the violent break-in at the home of a family to whom Sullivan had no known connection.

"We really don't have any idea at this time," Bauer said Tuesday afternoon.

Bauer issued a brief news release about the shooting in midmorning and then spoke about the case in more detail after Sullivan's next of kin had been notified. He asked Toluca, Marshall County, and Illinois State Police officers to refrain from discussing the case with the media so that all information would come from him.

Sullivan's last known area address was a mobile home park in Lacon, as revealed in court files for drunk-driving and domestic battery charges filed against him last year. In the battery case, he was accused of breaking into an ex-girlfriend's rural Lacon home, shouting at her and grabbing her by the wrist.

But he had relatives in Florida and apparently had spent much of his time there lately, Bauer said. Indeed, the two court cases filed last year were never resolved, because he had not appeared for scheduled court dates and was believed to have been in Florida, the prosecutor added.

But late Monday and early Tuesday, he was at a small party in Toluca near the Burns residence and went to their home, said Bauer. He banged on the door, shouted obscenities and eventually threw a slide from a playground set through a window.

"It was so loud he woke up the neighbors," Bauer said.

After entering through the broken window, Sullivan proceeded into the house, even after Burns shouted "I've got a gun" and warned him not to come any farther, Bauer said.

Burns' wife took their small daughter to huddle in a closet, Bauer said, and "she was on the phone to 911 when this was going on."

When the intruder appeared in the bedroom doorway, Burns fired, and the bullet struck Sullivan in the right front side and exited below his left shoulder.

It appears likely that alcohol played a role in Sullivan's behavior, Bauer said: "Two empty beer cans were found outside the residence, and there were statements by witnesses that he had been drinking."

Burns, described as in his early 30s, has a valid FOID card verified by police, Bauer said, and state law allows a homeowner to use deadly force in some cases of defending a dwelling. During an interview, Bauer gave a reporter a copy of the statute.

In this case, he said, the shooting was justified specifically "because of the violent entry into the home and the continuation of Sullivan to enter the premises after being warned to leave."

Bauer also emphasized there is no connection between the Toluca shooting and a knife fight that broke out in a bar in nearby Wenona early Sunday. Rumors that the incidents were related were circulating rapidly Tuesday morning and even appeared in at least one newspaper.

The two suspects in the Wenona incident have been identified, and "We expect to be making arrests soon," but neither of them had anything to do with the Toluca shooting, Bauer said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Homeowner Brad Burns, who killed Sullivan about 2 a.m. with a single shot from a 9 mm pistol, "was defending not only his life, but the lives of his wife and child," Bauer said. "There's no doubt in my mind that they were in fear of their lives."

Answers THAT question!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#16]
But was it 9mm or 9mm +P?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably a head shot. Don't get all excited!

IBTL

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why do I have this uncontrollable urge to smile about all these incidents lately?

+1  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
good deal.

as long as it was a violent entry....

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Probably a head shot. Don't get all excited!

When the intruder appeared in the bedroom doorway, Burns fired, and the bullet struck Sullivan in the right front side and exited below his left shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]
who's to dictate what makes a viloent entry?

a busted door?
broken lamp?

if he is in the house, comming towards my family...you better bet im going to think it was a violent entry.

if he really wanted to steal my stereo(non violent entry), he would do it when no one is home.

Illinois law sucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Answers THAT question!

Hey!  Someone should tell the dead guy that he should still be alive cuz he was shot with an ineffective round.  Afterall, isn't the 9mm a pu**y round?  Huh? Hello?

And I bet the guy probably wasn't even using one of the higher peforming rounds like RANGER, GOLDEN SABER, GOLD DOT, etc.

The NINE is FINE and I carry 13+1 in MINE!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

a busted door?
broken lamp?

if he is in the house, comming towards my family...you better bet im going to think it was a violent entry.

if he really wanted to steal my stereo(non violent entry), he would do it when no one is home.

Illinois law sucks.

If you waste the motherfucker good, who's going to contradict YOUR story about HIS violent entry?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice shootin!!! One shot one kill...............
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a busted door?
broken lamp?

Illinois law sucks.

If you waste the motherfucker good, who's going to contradict YOUR story about HIS violent entry?

A IL states attourney.

i think Colorado has a great law on the subject. the way it should be.

i just cant find it right now.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Illinois law sucks.

+1

My little bro wants me to send some .22's his way for varmits.
He lives just north of Lacon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sullivan's last known area address was a mobile home park in Lacon, as revealed in court files for drunk-driving and domestic battery charges filed against him last year. In the battery case, he was accused of breaking into an ex-girlfriend's rural Lacon home, shouting at her and grabbing her by the wrist.

But he had relatives in Florida and apparently had spent much of his time there lately, Bauer said. Indeed, the two court cases filed last year were never resolved, because he had not appeared for scheduled court dates and was believed to have been in Florida, the prosecutor added.

Burns, described as in his early 30s, has a valid FOID card verified by police, Bauer said, and state law allows a homeowner to use deadly force in some cases of defending a dwelling. During an interview, Bauer gave a reporter a copy of the statute.

saved the taxpayers some money for the current charges against the man, and it sucks the guy had to have a "FOID" in order to protect his family

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a busted door?
broken lamp?

Illinois law sucks.

A IL states attourney.

i think Colorado has a great law on the subject. the way it should be.

i just cant find it right now.

He makes shit up, you make shit up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#31]
For those of us who reside in a free state, what the hell is a "FOID?"
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
For those of us who reside in a free state, what the hell is a "FOID?"

Firearm Owners ID

Required to buy firearms and ammo.

You are supposed to have one if you own firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top