Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 12:49:22 PM EDT
My father died almost four years ago.  He was a Marine in the early sixties.  He didn't like to talk about his experiences very much.  I am currently writing a family history of sorts and would like to get my hands on something that would give me a more complete understanding of what it was like for him in the USMC.

Are military records publicly available?

If so how do you get a hold of them?

Thanks,

Cabby
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I think military records of deceased persons become public records after their deceasal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
As a family member you can request his discharge docs (DD214) through the .gov   BEWARE: some sites lead you to believe you have to pay them to get these records.  You DO NOT.  

Try:

Requesting DD214

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a pic of him post it here www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=276940
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
GO TO STOLENVALOR.COM...ALL YOU NEED, EVEN HOW TO GET ANTONE'S RECORDS.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You won't have any trouble.  I tried to get Dad's WW II records but they had burned in a big fire in St. Louis.  I was able to get a few medical records that were stored in a different bldg tho.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have my father's military records...he was a Korean War veteran...Navy Corpsman...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
DougR - my dads records [WWII] were also destroyed in a fire. Probably the same one. But I got tons of pics of Hawaii during the war years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to vetrecs.com  or .org - forgot which (may direct your to another site, but these are VA related).  You will have to fill out a DD180, and possibly another form to get the records.  I don't think you can do it all on-line, though you should be able to at least download the forms.  If not, then you can request them.  For info. , a veteran him/herself can fill out a request on-line, but IIRC a relative needs the 180 on paper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have the service number and dates of service. You can request records from MILPERS in St. Louis Mo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I did this recently to get my uncles WWII records. First, you should know that many of the records were detroyed in a fire sometime in the 70's I think. Whats gone is gone. Some of it can be pieced together from vets groups and other war docs. I think though its a tough way to go. Since my uncles brothers/sisters are still alive they (being the next of kin) wrote a letter on my behalf so the records could be released to me.
In your casew that wont be an issue.  can be released to you. Go to www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/veterans_service_records.html
which gives all the info youll need to get the records. I think I had a bout a months wait only to find out none of his records survived the fire.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO GET YOUR FATHERS SERVICE RECORDS.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO GET YOUR FATHERS SERVICE RECORDS.

+1

It's a free service from the government.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Be carefull, you might find out things you don't want to know.

I know someone who found out things about her father and the circumstances of his discharge that she really didn't want to know.

Yes it is free.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all for your replies.  I will try to get a picture of him in Vietnam circa 1963 from my mother and post it in the thread mentioned.

Cabby
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top