BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 12:45:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a crack-up!   These "kits" have been around on ebay for years.  It's basically a set of instructions and a fractal lense.

I bought a couple of these things a few years ago out of curiosity and to compare the two.  You have to build a projection box to attach to the front of your tv.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, you have to turn your tv upside down in order to see the picture right side up.  Yeah, and most television sets today get screwed up when they are turned upside down.  The picture becomes distorted and the colors go crazy.

It's not easy to get a good, well-focused picture using this method either.  Basically, you pay these guys $16.95 for 50 cents worth of stuff and then spend forever trying to get it to work.  It's not worth the time or effort unless you really like do it yourself projects.  Save up $2,000 and get a decent Mitsubishi rear projection tv...or, save up $60,000 and buy a nice Runco projector and get it professionally set up.  You'll be much happier with the results.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The resulting image is very dim and pretty much unwatchable unless you're watching something very bright and high-contrast like cartoons.  I haven't seen one myself, but that was the consensus in a discussion about these things I read on a home theater forum a few years ago.

Think about it:  you're taking an existing 2 sq ft image (25" TV) and blowing it up to a 1020 sq ft image with the same total brightness level.  It's gonna be dim to put it mildly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll stick with my 92" Sony LCD projector, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is a crack-up!   These "kits" have been around on ebay for years.  It's basically a set of instructions and a fractal lense.

I bought a couple of these things a few years ago out of curiosity and to compare the two.  You have to build a projection box to attach to the front of your tv.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, you have to turn your tv upside down in order to see the picture right side up.  Yeah, and most television sets today get screwed up when they are turned upside down.  The picture becomes distorted and the colors go crazy.

It's not easy to get a good, well-focused picture using this method either.  Basically, you pay these guys $16.95 for 50 cents worth of stuff and then spend forever trying to get it to work.  It's not worth the time or effort unless you really like do it yourself projects.  Save up $2,000 and get a decent Mitsubishi rear projection tv...or, save up $60,000 and buy a nice Runco projector and get it professionally set up.  You'll be much happier with the results.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt going to buy one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top