Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2004 12:24:24 PM EDT
There have been a few videogame threads lately and we're getting into that season so I wanted to ask, what are your fondest videogame memories? I'm looking mostly for old-timers here, so if your memories start with an especially cool "frag," well, let the old folks have a crack at this one, okay?

Some of mine include:

Learning that 5-1/4" disks can be made double-sided with a hole punch, effectively doubling my bootleged game storage for Atari computers.

ColecoVision used to have customer service folks who would read you, over the phone, a comprehensive list of "upcoming releases" complete with dates and descriptions. I mean like 20-30 minutes worth of new releases read to you over the phone. God, I hope that was a toll-free number! I called it often. Most of the games never made it to release.

The music to a (C-64?) Activision game called Master of the Lamps. I would love to have an MP3 of that!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent many hours, many quarters, and probably one full point off my GPA at Playland in State College.  What made it particularly hard to bear was that I lived in a dorm DIRECTLY across the street from it my first three years.  

Nothing quite like the stench of old cigarette smoke, sweat, and beer.

TROG was my all-time favorite, though it's not exactly an "old-time" game.  (I always played as "Bloop", the blue dinosaur, mainly because I liked his end-of-level happy dance the best.)  Any game where you laugh when you are killed HAS to be good.  <conk> <slobber> <BUUURRP!>

TETЯIS was a favorite, too.  I'm a little surprised that it wasn't invented sooner - it lends itself to low-resolution, low-power machines.  Proof that all the good ideas haven't been thought of yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
There was this Intellavision game called nightstalker that I used to play with my brother all the time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
PONG

It was the most amazing thing we had ever seen
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Finding the "dot" in the Atari 2600 game Adventure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite Intellivision game was Sea Battle. Real-time strategy and resource management--was pretty sophisticated for its time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a little Iso computer game called Syndicate.
You run a team of 4 hit men and they have lots of super cool weapons.  in one mission you have to kill some VIP in a caravan of limos.  So you hussle the four shooters to the location and there are several hundred people standing up and down a street waiting for this guy and his limo to pull up.  Set up all your people around the block.  The lead car pulls up and you shoot it with a rocket.  Second car stops VIP gets out and your sniper takes him out.  The cool thing about the game it was one of the first games where you could kill civilians without a penalty.  They fall on the round roll around and scream.  

So the real game was to shoot the VIP and then see how many civilians in the crowd you could kill before they run away.  Properly placed flame throwers could get most of them.    
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
tecmo bowl. i guess it's a recent memory because i still play it every once in awhile until it freezes.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Marathon for the Mac.

I just loved playing with the weapons editor and finding ways to make new weapons...like a handgun that shot bouncing grenades/mines.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
tecmo bowl

The one sports game I ever played and played and played...

Favorites were always that adventure games like Robin Hood, Kings Quest, Space Quest...

I did play panzer general religiously with a foreign exchange student.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There was a little Iso computer game called Syndicate.
You run a team of 4 hit men and they have lots of super cool weapons.  in one mission you have to kill some VIP in a caravan of limos.  So you hussle the four shooters to the location and there are several hundred people standing up and down a street waiting for this guy and his limo to pull up.  Set up all your people around the block.  The lead car pulls up and you shoot it with a rocket.  Second car stops VIP gets out and your sniper takes him out.  The cool thing about the game it was one of the first games where you could kill civilians without a penalty.  They fall on the round roll around and scream.  

So the real game was to shoot the VIP and then see how many civilians in the crowd you could kill before they run away.  Properly placed flame throwers could get most of them.    

Syndicate was awesome! I LOVED that game. Not just for the wanton violence. I played it for hours as a kid and I still turned out alright.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
My fondest memories are in the present.....playing the WW2 shooter "DAY OF DEFEAT".  Been playing constantly for over 2 years now and it never gets old.  Probably my favorite game of all time.

That aside....I'd have to throw in ESPN NFL 2004 for the PS2,  Tecmo Bowl on the Nintendo, Axis & Allies on the PC, Risk, and Hearts of Iron (PC).
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Galaga.  .25 after .25 after .25 after .25..........

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
This from the not so distant past, but I played the hell out of multi-player Goldeneye for N64.

Also super dodge ball for the NES.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in 5th grade, me and my best friend would run to my house everyday after school to play Goldeneye for Nintendo 64. Ahhhh the good ole days....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You've got to be kidding!  I could put one quarter in and play all day... and frequently did.

That was the only "arcade game" (i.e., not at home) that I ever really played - man alive, I wish I had back the countless hours of my youth wasted on that thing!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Stargate and defender. I got so good at it with 1 quarter I could play for hours.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Learning that 5-1/4" disks can be made double-sided with a hole punch, effectively doubling my bootleged game storage for Atari computers.

Worked for C64, too!

C64:

F-15 Strike Eagle
Impossible Mission
Caste Wolfenstein
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
O'Rielly's Mine (GREAT opening music)
Raid Over Moscow
Silent Service
Seven Cities of Gold
Fort Apocalypse
Defender
Frogger
The Haley Project
Star Trek
Beachhead

Later on PC:

Stealth Fighter
B-17 Flying Fortress
M1 Tank Platoon
Airborne Ranger
Red Storm Rising
688 Attack Sub
Falcon
Flight Simulator - Jet
Gunship
Gunship 2000
F-117A Nighthawk
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Star Wars - X-Wing
Star Wars - TIE Fighter

Ah...... The memories!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Silent Service

Star Wars - X-Wing
Star Wars - TIE Fighter

Ah...... The memories!

I second all these games.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've got to be kidding!  I could put one quarter in and play all day... and frequently did.

That was the only "arcade game" (i.e., not at home) that I ever really played - man alive, I wish I had back the countless hours of my youth wasted on that thing!

All day?

I routinely posted 500,000-700,000 point scores.......with no continuations.

Friend of mine has the horizontal version, with Ms PacMan as the other game, and I post 300,000 point scores on one credit.......

All day?

Not a chance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My fondest memories are in the present.....playing the WW2 shooter "DAY OF DEFEAT".  Been playing constantly for over 2 years now and it never gets old.  Probably my favorite game of all time.

That aside....I'd have to throw in ESPN NFL 2004 for the PS2,  Tecmo Bowl on the Nintendo, Axis & Allies on the PC, Risk, and Hearts of Iron (PC).

DoD was awesome back in the pre-2.0 beta days. I'd stay up to all hours of the night playing dod_hill, dod_sicily, dod_snowtown, and the original Caen. It had a few bugs, but that kinda made it fun. With every release after that, however, I felt less and less inclined to play it. I only play it once every now and then today.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Best memories? Playing CS or half-life against my brother and his friend and easily kicking both their asses... EVERY TIME.

Hehehehehe... every game of half-life I played with them, I found a perfect sniper hide and kicked their asses with a crossbow or sniper rifle. CS, though, the automatic rifles worked much better.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Do any of you guys remember the old Intellivision game called Dracula?

You'd go around at night and knock on doors, then people would come running out if they were home, and you have to chase them down and bite them. You had to kill so many people each level before the sun came up.

That and Ladybug for the Intellivision were my favorites back in the day.
Anyone know where to find Dracula anywhere? I have Intellivision roms, but Dracula has been impossible to find.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't even begin to remember all the bootleg Commodore 64 games I had......

My favorites were F-15 Strike Eagle and Gunship.  Those games were great !

And for you Galaga fans.....  Pick up a copy of  Namco Museum (for XBOX or PS2) and you get :
Dig Dug
Galaga
Galaxian
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac-Man
Pole Position

and also get Midway Arcade Treasures for these games:
SpyHunter, Defender, Gauntlet, Joust, Paperboy, Rampage, Marble Madness, Robotron 2084, Smash TV, Joust 2, Bubbles, RoadBlasters, Stargate, Root Beer Tapper, Blaster, Rampart, Sinistar, Super Sprint, 720, Toobin’, KLAX, SPLAT!, Satan’s Hollow, and Vindicators.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
NES: a game called Kid Icarus, which only I played, and the first Final Fantasy title.

Sigh.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
My fondest memories are when I was playing Team Fortress and Team Fortress Classic with an older clan I used to belong to.  Most of our clan and lots of good guys from other clans were part of a quasi-guild called Team Play First.  Everyone would help out new guys, there was no cheating or lame tactics, and people would switch teams to make them fair.  It was a great community.

As far as older games,  a friend and I would sneak to this 24 hour bowling alley and play games all night such as Asteroids, original Donkey Kong,  Scramble, and Rastan.   The game I could never beat and would frustrate me to no end was Defender.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Finding the "dot" in the Atari 2600 game Adventure.

Hell Yeah! Adventure rocks

Also,

ULTIMA III & IV
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
The guy who said super dodge ball is the man, one of the finest games ever made.  (Picked up a NES and then found it on ebay just to play it again... still awesome)

Dragon warrior was a good one too... lots of time invested in that.

But my fondest memory, getting the NES taken away for a month because my older brother choked me with the cord because I kept jumping fast enough to make him fall off the bottom and die in level 2 (Doh I mean level 3, I think level 2 was the one where you did the behind view? so long ago) of Contra.  (Any of you with siblings around that time know EXACTLY what im talking about!!!)
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
As stand-up arcade games go, BATTLE ZONE - from 1980 - rocked (but it had to be the one with the periscope to look through).  Best game ever !!!  

I loved that game.  When I went to the Danish army infantry combat school in 1989, they had one still running in the sergeant's mess.  I talked to someone who works there about a year ago, and he said the game is STILL there, and still works!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#33]
BATTLEZONE!!!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I loved Pitfall for the Atari, and Last Half of Darkness for the C64.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Fondest memories: Repeatedly smokin' the douchbags that talk shit on Americas Army. Nothing like forcing the assholes to sit and watch the action on their PC, because they got capped, again, 45 seconds in to the game.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Playing PONG at Burnstien-Applebee. The challenge was to get the "ball" to just volley back and forth between the "paddles", then move them closer and closer together. The salesmen loved it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Too many to list or be proud of.

Favorite Atari game:  Yars Revenge & Empire Strikes Back
Favorite Nintendo game:  Dr. Mario
Favorite Super Nintendo Game:  Super Mario World
Favorite Nintendo 64 game:  Goldeneye
Favorite PC games:  X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs. Tie-Fighter, Doom 2, Quake I, SimCity 3000, BF1942
Favorite Arcade Game:  Star Wars (wireframe 3D shooter where you shoot the towers and fly down the trench)

Honorable Mentions:

Combat for Atari
Enduro for Atari
Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo
Mariokart for Super Nintendo
Mortal Kombat for Super Nintendo
Starfox for Super Nintendo
Mortal Kombat 3 for Nintendo 64
Grand Theft Auto 1 for PC
Duke Nukem3D for PC
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Later on PC:

Stealth Fighter
B-17 Flying Fortress
M1 Tank Platoon
Airborne Ranger
Red Storm Rising
688 Attack Sub
Falcon
Flight Simulator - Jet
Gunship
Gunship 2000
F-117A Nighthawk

Ah...... The memories!

Those early Microprose games were da BOMB...I played every one of them for hours at a stretch.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The music to a (C-64?) Activision game called Master of the Lamps. I would love to have an MP3 of that!

Use Bit-Torrent and Check around Suprnova and their forums and I bet you will find it!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My fondest memories are when I was playing Team Fortress and Team Fortress Classic with an older clan I used to belong to.

Almost forgot about TF..  Was in a clan as well, Ded-Prezidents.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use Bit-Torrent and Check around Suprnova and their forums and I bet you will find it!!

alog with a compete mame set 10 gigs of mame roms

thats gonna take a while
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Back in 5th grade, me and my best friend would run to my house everyday after school to play Goldeneye for Nintendo 64. Ahhhh the good ole days....

Even better played while inebriated with 3 other players! Did that many times.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#43]
weekend marathons of Doom, Duke Nukem, and Red Alert I
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Pong by Atari was my 1st. Then there was electronic football. easy after a few tries.

I remember playing centapied, destroyer, & Astroids on some kind of a home computer system in the early 80's. I could kick butt on all of them. I suck now, & my 7 yr old beats me sensless consistantly. I do enjoy the new games tho, they have come a long long ways.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#45]
The word joystick now makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Every last second for the last couple years in anticipation of Halo2. Only swayed by being able to finishing off Halo on Legendary for the countless number of times...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Ooooo. I forgot all about Command and Conquer and Red Alert!  Great games!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Beating Super Mario Brothers on NES only to find out it starts all over again with harder bad guys.

Beating Contra on NES for the first time.

Spending 2 years of my life playing Final Fantasy VII on Playstation to finnaly beat it and getting pissed at how crappy the end is.

Rainbow Six for PC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's something I found last night. Midway Arcade!
www.midwayarcade.com/classic.php
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I have been trying to play games lately, they just dont do much for me anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top