Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 6:43:19 AM EDT
I just got this collect call from a correctional facility. They guy asked me to call his mother and let her know where he was at. the number started off with *72.
Before actually calling it I looked it up online, and sure enough, it was a phone scam. Dialing that number hands them control over your phone bill. Just letting you guys know. Watch out fellas.

Question: As long as I didn't dial that number I should be safe right?

CBS story on Jailhouse scam
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Why the hell would the phone company enable your phone to be hijacked if you dial a certain number?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why the hell would the phone company enable your phone to be hijacked if you dial a certain number?

good question. What good could possibly come out of that???

ETA: I'm really pissed about however much that collect call cost me...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should call your phone company and ask them why the hell is it possible for someone to do some shit like that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*72 will FORWARD your phone number to the pay phone that they are using in jail ( the # after the *72 is most likley a payphone in the jail). That way they can accept collect calls on your dime from all their homies.

echo6
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I fucken hate prisons and convicts.  Turn on the gas!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Hate the phone company instead.

They do lots of shit that should just be plain illegal.

-Offer caller ID blocking, then offer a service to block blocked calls.  
-Charge a low rate for long distance to other states, then RIP YOU OFF for calling across town out of area.
-Allow any kind of $10/min billing service
-Charge anything for long distance since it's free with cell phones now.
-Allow any kind of telemarketing

And the list goes on and on.  I moved from Sprint to Qwest for home phone when I moved to a different house.  Qwest has one number service which allows your home phone to get forwarded to your cell.  I couldn't get it because I hadn't been with Qwest for 12 months yet.  (Well no shit, you didn't offer fucking phone service at my last house).  Never mind the 700+ credit score.

I love to see phone companies squirming for business now that the internet and cell phone revolution have taken off, and the national do-not-call list is a reality.

Fuck em.  

Maybe my attitude towards phone companies wouldn't be so bad if the service was actually worth paying for.  My ISDN line died like clockwork every three months before switching to DSL.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

-Charge a low rate for long distance to other states, then RIP YOU OFF for calling across town out of area.

And the list goes on and on.  I moved from Sprint to Qwest for home phone when I moved to a different house.  Qwest has one number service which allows your home phone to get forwarded to your cell.  I couldn't get it because I hadn't been with Qwest for 12 months yet.  (Well no shit, you didn't offer fucking phone service at my last house).  Never mind the 700+ credit score.

I love to see phone companies squirming for business now that the internet and cell phone revolution have taken off, and the national do-not-call list is a reality.

Fuck em.  

Maybe my attitude towards phone companies wouldn't be so bad if the service was actually worth paying for.  My ISDN line died like clockwork every three months before switching to DSL.  

somebody needs a hug...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If a convict calls you from prison and asks you to do something like that, and you do it, youre a STUPID ASS...

HELLO, ITS A CONVICT for christs sake!!! WTF would you think would happen!?  They aren't convicts becuase theyre honest!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are you accepting collect calls in the first place?

Scams start with a dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why are you accepting collect calls in the first place?

Scams start with a dumbass.

The reason I accepted the collect call from the jail when this was tried on me, was I figgured that it was my father-in-law, and that he had finally gotten busted for DUI
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If a convict calls you from prison and asks you to do something like that, and you do it, youre a STUPID ASS...

HELLO, ITS A CONVICT for christs sake!!! WTF would you think would happen!?  They aren't convicts becuase theyre honest!

BINGO!

Now how many of you know that there are programs in prison where the Inmates are Telemarketers, and there is a Alarm Company that used to use Inmates as the call center/alarm monitoring people...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#12]
it's easy.  if you use a * as the first digit you are telling the phone systems to do something funky.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fuck em.  

THat highlighted line is the only thing that keeps the telemarketers off in droves, as well as credit agencies and bill collectors.

John
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I knew about the telemarketing, but alarm monitors? You have got to be kidding me! Phone companies are teh suck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I knew about the telemarketing, but alarm monitors? You have got to be kidding me! Phone companies are teh suck.

dude, thats not the PHONE companies fault, its the ALARM company...

telemarketing isnt the PHONE companies fault either, its the TELEMARKETING FIRMS...

pay attention...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Actually, our sales have gone up since the national DNC has come about.  It lets us know what numbers will not buy the newspapaer from us and leaves us more time to call numbers that will buy.  Not too long ago we dropped a few hundred thousand to outfit both of our call centers with brand new, top of the line dialing systems.  FYI, us telemarketers are FAR from squirming.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#17]
One of the fun ones is that extra charge per month you pay to have your phone number unlisted, but then there are special phone books that include unlisted numbers that the phone companies offer.

1. I don't accept collect calls, no way no how.
2. If telemarketing is a problem for you get that telezapper thing.  It puts out the disconnected phone signal when you pick up the phone.  Annoying, yes, but worth it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#18]
why did you accept a collect call from someone you don't know?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck em.  

somebody needs a hug...

And the phone companies need an ASS KICKING!!!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck em.  

somebody needs a hug...

why do the phone companies need an ASS KICKING?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]
man, im gonna see 700 posts today!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

2. If telemarketing is a problem for you get that telezapper thing.  It puts out the disconnected phone signal when you pick up the phone.  Annoying, yes, but worth it.

Sorry to tell you but that won't work on every system.  Our system sends all the calls through to our phone reps, and the reps then code the call.  It takes a couple seconds for the call to get transfered from the dialer to the rep so they won't even hear your little zapping attempt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck em.  

somebody needs a hug...

why do the phone companies need an ASS KICKING?

Because everything Fast351 says is true. They (phone companies) get it both ways. They offer us caller ID. They offer the telemarketers caller ID block, etc., etc.

Also, look at all the charges on your phone bill. Granted, alot of these charges are taxes and such, but they will wear you out.

Oh, and then there is this one. Have some trouble with your phone line and call their customer service. Can you be home between 8 AM and 4 PM, "we don't know when the technician will be able to be there." Like I don't have to work or something?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#24]
And don't even get me started on the goddamn cable company.

All utilities suck ass.  

Such is life with legalized monopolies.  Notice how cell phone companies are advertising like hell and keep offering plans that customers want, because they know you can go anywhere for it, while utilities basically tell you to piss up a rope.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to tell you but that won't work on every system.  Our system sends all the calls through to our phone reps, and the reps then code the call.  It takes a couple seconds for the call to get transfered from the dialer to the rep so they won't even hear your little zapping attempt.

True, it does not work on every system...but since plugging this thing in I've seen the number of calls go from 1-2 a night to MAYBE 1 a week.  Normally those are political or charity in nature while only live reps making the calls. (no delay from pickup to connection with live person it seems)

I'd say the lil' zapping attempt still gets the vast majority of the offenders.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I received a similar call recently from a club fed. I didn't answer though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
They have lots of time to think of scams to pull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top