I perfer full screen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh you beat me, I hate you!!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
may you awake to find a hundred zombies between you & your gun safe.

...i'm jealous
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Full Screen?!?!?

I perfer full screen.

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Full Screen?!?!?

I perfer full screen.

Wide screen is the biggest rip-off ever....Movies come in two formats: Flat and scope. Scope would be the equivalent of what you'd see on wide screen tv movies. When a dvd for example is  full screen, they take the flat format and cut off VERY LITTLE on the sides. Some people would have you believe that you lose a lot with full screen movies. It's far less than you'd think

-Lockedon (former projectionist)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll get the widescreen version to match my tv!

Must eat brains first.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Some people would have you believe that you lose a lot with full screen movies. It's far less than you'd think

Yes, none at all.  

You can keep your pan & scan shit. I'd rather watch the movie the way the director intended.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some people would have you believe that you lose a lot with full screen movies. It's far less than you'd think

Yes, none at all.  

www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/fewgoodmen3.jpg   www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/fewgoodmen0.jpg

www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/bladerunner1.jpg   www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/bladerunner2.jpg

You can keep your pan & scan shit. I'd rather watch the movie the way the director intended.

Well unless lockedon was projecting movies onto tv screens, looks like he's been proven wrong.

Letterbox is the only way to go. I've avoided buying and even renting movies because they only came in pan & scan. Yech.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Full Screen?!?!?

I perfer full screen.

Wide screen is the biggest rip-off ever....Movies come in two formats: Flat and scope. Scope would be the equivalent of what you'd see on wide screen tv movies. When a dvd for example is  full screen, they take the flat format and cut off VERY LITTLE on the sides. Some people would have you believe that you lose a lot with full screen movies. It's far less than you'd think

Ok, enough of this crap.

The focus here is supposed to be on ME getting DotD '04.

So, let's get back to talking about ME.  (good things )

Oh, and Dawn of the Dead.

I'll be grabbing mine tomorrow.  Been very excited all week.  Gonna be watching it tomorrow night.

BTW, full screen sucks.  Anamorphic widescreen on an HDTV is the ONLY way to watch movies now.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure I saw this one at the theater.  Is this the flick where they were sniping celebrity zombies from the rooftop of the mall?

If so, then it was actually a pretty damn good flick.

That's the one.  And the DVD includes a video from the gun shop owner's perspective.  Should be really cool.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It sucks that you have to buy a special edition movie to get full and widescreen both on one disk or buy it 2x
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It sucks that you have to buy a special edition movie to get full and widescreen both on one disk or buy it 2x

Buy one, rent and copy the other
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, none at all.  

www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/fewgoodmen3.jpg   www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/fewgoodmen0.jpg

www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/bladerunner1.jpg   www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/bladerunner2.jpg

Certain movies were never printed in FLAT format....Thats were those extreme cut-offs occur.

[/hijack]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, so what's up with the unrated version? More ultraviolence, or is there some nookie involved, too?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW, full screen sucks.  Anamorphic widescreen on an HDTV is the ONLY way to watch movies now.  

You left out "on a progressive scan DVD player through component cables and optical or coaxial audio going to a DTS 7.1 receiver"

Well, we can just assume some things, can't we? Though I don't have 7.1.  The receiver is capable, just nowhere to fit the speakers behind me.  Plus the 5.1 sounds plenty sweet enough.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK, so what's up with the unrated version? More ultraviolence, or is there some nookie involved, too?

There's already nookie, not sure if they are going to add more to it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#24]
as a photographer, i enjoy the images as much as the story.  1.33:1 is a horrible aspect ratio for many, many reasons.  image composition is one of the most powerful tools a director has.  kinda hard to convey the beauty of a shot even as low-aspect as 1.85:1 in NTSC standard.  there's a reason filmmakers went to higher aspect ratios.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm getting mine tommorrow
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, none at all.  

Well unless lockedon was projecting movies onto tv screens, looks like he's been proven wrong.

Letterbox is the only way to go. I've avoided buying and even renting movies because they only came in pan & scan. Yech.

Come on people.. dont waste your damn money on full screen crap.  In 5 years when you have a wide screen HD tv.. and all your movies are distorted.. dont come cryin to .. me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I got my copy!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Full Screen?!?!?

I perfer full screen.

Ok, enough of this crap.

The focus here is supposed to be on ME getting DotD '04.

So, let's get back to talking about ME.  (good things )

Oh, and Dawn of the Dead.

I'm gonna get mine today after I pick up my car with my new airconditioner that crapped out in Waco at gunstock when it was brutaly humid and hot and is gonna cost me six hundred bucks dammit!
I know what I'm doing tonite!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#30]
All these gunowners buying this movie is really gonna make the wonderboys in Hollyweird scratch their collective asses and wonder WTF! The movie didn't make that much at the theaters, and they are flying off the shelves now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, pretend I've never heard of this movie

Why would I want to own it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Just in case you haven't read it, you MUST check out Maddox's review here.

Some of the stuff does paste well, but here's the text anyway:

Cancel the 2005 Academy Awards, the contest is over.

I'm going to save everyone a lot of time and money on the 77th Annual Academy Awards by just coming out and telling you what's going to win. No point in watching the show next year because one movie alone will dominate the Oscars in every category (except drama, because A. nobody watches drama and B. it's not a category):

This movie stomps so much ass that they have to import colons from other countries to meet the demand. Just to be on the safe side, I went down my check list of ass-kickery to see where this movie stands. I challenge you to read all the way through this list without springing a rubbery one:

At least 750,000 people killed? YES
Zombies? YES
Blonde chick getting her shit ruined by a chainsaw? YES
Tits? YES
Soundtrack by Conga Master Poncho Sanchez? NO
Chimney rod through a fat lady's skull? YES
Explosions? YES
Robots? NO
Lesbians? (Pay attention during the credits) YES
Baby getting shot in the face? YES

Owned Holy shit! This movie almost has everything. The movie starts out with this chick (who is a 6 at the beginning, but by the end of the movie you're thinking she's an 8 because it's non-stop tit-sagging from fat zombie bitches from this point on) in a hospital, then she talks to her co-worker for what seems like hours and you think you're in the wrong movie because already there's way too much dialogue/plot building or whatever you call it. That's where the genius of the director comes in: he made it like this on purpose so you'll have time to adjust your face before it's rocked off. Almost immediately after that there's a shower scene which sucks because there's a guy in it and you have to state loudly that you think it's "gay" or something along those lines so nobody will question your sexuality. Then it's onto the zombies.

The zombies in this movie are the ultimate evolution of the walking dead. Forget the wuss-burger zombies in "28 Days Later" that eventually die on their own, these zombies are the real deal. First of all, these zombies are fast (even the fat ones). Imagine the fastest Olympic runner you've ever seen, now double that speed and pretend the zombies aren't Kenyan. That's how fast these zombies move, which sucks if you're a zombie because you get your balls stomped on by an army of undead ball stompers if you trip (most zombies stomp on your nuts even when they don't have to just out of spite.. or at least I would):

Right off the bat the chick at the beginning (who I'll call Mope Master because she looks like she's about to cry in every scene) gets the beat down by her ex-human now-zombie husband. Owned So then she bails and gets in a car wreck because women can't drive. Then Ving Rhames threatens to blow her head off, which is cool. They meet up with some pregnant chick and you know it's going to be bad news because everyone hates kids.

They eventually go to a mall where they're accosted by some dude with a badass handle-bar moustache; before he even says anything, you automatically know he listens to Pantera. His buddies, on the other hand, look like they drink Keystone Light and go shopping for purses. Anyway, the Pantera guy totally wants to bang Mope Master, so he lets them stay in the mall. Then they go around killing rogue zombies for about 45 minutes, no complaining from me. All the zombie actors were awesome and deserve best supporting actor awards for their inspired acting work.

For example, check out the look on this chick's face:

A zombie with a very matter-of-fact look on her face.

She looks like she just got done telling someone "I know you didn't just call me what I think you called me," followed by two quick finger snaps so you know she means business. Think you can get that kind of attitude with ordinary extras? Yeah right. These are thespians; they're pros at what they do. Just sit back and admire their art.

So here I am watching the movie and it's pretty badass, but then out of nowhere *WHAM*. Tits on the screen. Like finding an unexpected $20 in the wash, the director throws in some jugs for good measure. I know you're asking "but Maddox, it already sounds awesome, why go on?" Why indeed; stop reading this article and go see "Dawn of the Dead."

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought it was pretty scary.  The weapons in it were a couple of shotguns, a INOX 92FS, some Glocks and a revolver or two.  The thing that scares me the most is that the zombies are fast!  Slow zombies (read: moving targets ) are fine, but fast zombies are like doom on legs
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#35]
On my way to target to get mine right now...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Fast zombies sound...implausable. Is this really a good show or a suckfest that y'all are hamming up?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#37]
In what way are fast zombies more implausible than slow zombies? It's kinda like complaining about the Heisenburg compensators on Star Trek.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#39]
That movie rules.
I had zero complaints with it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You're all gonna laugh.  I've not seen this movie.  I assume it's worth the purchase?

What kind of weapons are in this?  Is it scary or one of those scary movies that's actually so dumb it's funny?

It's entertaining, but somewhat disappointing.

It still features stupid people doing stupid things to move the plot along. Not a lot of smarts in the movie. It's like only the dumbasses survived.

Plus the fact that the guy in the gunshop runs out of food - like there's a gunshop that doesn't have few boxes of overpriced MRE's sitting around

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#42]
i know what im doing when i get off work in two hours!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I went and got it at lunch.

Then I went to the sporting goods store and picked up a couple boxes of 00 Buck!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Got mine as well!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top