Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
What I mean is:

What is an FAL used for?
How does it compare to an AR?
What makes them so popular?
I've seen the pics, but that doesn't answer my questions.

I'm just looking for a general comparison of an FAL to an AR.  Pros and Cons of each compared to eachother.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]

A FAL is an inexpensive, large caliber, battle rifle, bullet hose with more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok Ill help Yes you do want one
You dont know it yet but you really want 2
Oh make that 3
Why not 4
Sure 5 sounds good
Nah better make it 6
7's better
Well just get an even 8
Shit get all you can

No Im not an falaholic  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Exactly.  I got an Imbel for my first rifle.  Well, I got a .22 first, but that doesn't count.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What I mean is:

What is an FAL used for?

I'm just looking for a general comparison of an FAL to an AR.  Pros and Cons of each compared to eachother.

Ok......

AR - .223
FAL - .308

AR - $10 mags
FAL - $5 mags

AR - gas operated, pistonless, ergonomic, modern
FAL - a little older design, piston driven, good sights, lots of parts out there, little on the heavy side.

I have yet to shoot another .308 with less recoil than the FAL.  Cheap mags, surplus ammo, blasters...... what more do you want?

The bottom line.... AR's are sweet.... but FAL's kick ASS!

Everyone needs a .308 battle rifle.  Like.... duh!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Why an FAL over an AR?

What would be and FAL equivalent to a Colt LE6920HB in terms of quality/performance.  I understand they are 2 totally completely different rifles.  Kind of like comparing an XBOX to a Porche 911.  Both are the best in their class.  What FAL is the best in it's class?  Where do I find one as cheap as possible?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.kevinholman.com/pics/guns/rifles/FAL/fal.jpg

A FAL is an inexpensive, large caliber, battle rifle, bullet hose with more thrusts per squeeze.

Yup...it's great to spray thousands of rounds with while shooting from the hip...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
How are the 16" versions?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Damn sexy!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Excuse me while I put this flame suit on....

....OK ready.

I think the FAL is an FUCKING UGLY ASS GUN!!

The stock has a weird shape to it
The pistol grip does not look like it fits there
The handle looks like someone took a coat hanger and bent it.

have I ever shot one? No.
Would I like to? Sure.
Would I buy one? Probably not.

I just think the AR is a MUCH nicer looking rifle... nicer lines and parts that fit to look like it belongs on the rifle.  I know I know... apples and oranges... However I just dont see the fascination with them.

now you DO KNOW that in a few years I am gonna eat these words.

BTW for the record, I said almost the same things about a 44 mag... (Waste of money on ammo, too much kick, too expensive gun) Until I bought one
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
They are great gun indeed.  If you have the means, however, to pick up a HK91, do that first
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Exactly.  I got an Imbel for my first rifle.  Well, I got a .22 first, but that doesn't count.

You know a 22LR conversion kit is available for the FALs. You slide in the barrel liner, and remove the old bolt and put in the new one, load the 22LR mag and away you go. I get looks of huh? what's that rifle you have because most of the FALs shoot a 308Win/7.62NATO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
fusil automatique leger
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I got 2!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]

....OK ready.

Would I like to? Sure.

I just think the AR is a MUCH nicer looking rifle... nicer lines and parts that fit to look like it belongs on the rifle. I know I know... apples and oranges... However I just dont see the fascination with them.

BTW for the record, I said almost the same things about a 44 mag... (Waste of money on ammo, too much kick, too expensive gun) Until I bought one

He will buy one before the month is up.......and there is only a few days left in this month.

I took the HK91 off my list after shooting a New DSA FAL SA58. The recoil during a controlled rapid fire is comfortable...I can't say that about the HK.

MT

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally, I like the M1A/M14.  Would I buy a DSA FAL if I had an extra $1500 lying around?

In a frigging minute!  

(The grip does seem like it's at a funny angle, but you don't notice it when firing.  Good controls, cheap mags, lots of accessories, reliable as all get out.  Sights are not quite as nice as a M1A, but you can't have everything.)

Oh, and niceguymr, do you think you want a metric or an inch FAL?  (That'll drive you nuts.)

Actually, the answer is simple:  go metric.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Main Entry: 1fall
Pronunciation: 'fol
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): fell  /'fel/; fall·en  /'fo-l&n/; fall·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English feallan; akin to Old High German fallan to fall and perhaps to Lithuanian pulti
intransitive senses
1 a : to descend freely by the force of gravity b : to hang freely <her hair falls over her shoulders> c : to drop oneself to a lower position <fell to his knees> d : to come or go as if by falling <darkness falls early in the winter>
2 : to become born -- usually used of lambs
3 a : to become lower in degree or level <the temperature fell 10°> b : to drop in pitch or volume <their voices fell to a whisper> c : ISSUE 1a,b <wisdom that fell from his lips> d : to become lowered <her eyes fell>
4 a : to leave an erect position suddenly and involuntarily <slipped and fell on the ice> b : to enter as if unawares : STUMBLE, STRAY <fell into error> c : to drop down wounded or dead; especially : to die in battle d : to suffer military capture <after a long siege the city fell> e : to lose office <the party fell from power> f : to suffer ruin, defeat, or failure <the deal fell through>
5 : to commit an immoral act; especially : to lose one's chastity
6 a : to move or extend in a downward direction <the land falls away to the east> b : SUBSIDE, ABATE <the wind is falling> c : to decline in quality, activity, or quantity <production fell off> d : to lose weight -- used with off or away e : to assume a look of shame, disappointment, or dejection <his face fell> f : to decline in financial value or price <stocks fell sharply>
7 a : to occur at a certain time b : to come by chance <fell in with a fast crowd> c : to come or pass by lot, assignment, or inheritance : DEVOLVE <it fell to him to break the news> d : to have a certain or proper position, place, or station <the accent falls on the second syllable>
8 : to come within the limits, scope, or jurisdiction of something <this word falls into the class of verbs>
9 : to pass suddenly and passively into a state of body or mind or a new state or condition <fall asleep> <fall in love>
10 : to set about heartily or actively <fell to work>
11 : STRIKE, IMPINGE <music falling on the ear>
transitive senses : FELL 1
- fall apart 1 : DISINTEGRATE 2 : to succumb to mental or emotional stress : BREAK DOWN
- fall behind 1 : to lag behind 2 : to be in arrears
- fall between two stools : to fail because of inability to choose between or reconcile two alternative or conflicting courses of action
- fall flat : to produce no response or result <the joke fell flat>
- fall for 1 : to fall in love with 2 : to become a victim of <fell for the trick>
- fall foul : to have a quarrel : CLASH -- often used with of
- fall from grace : BACKSLIDE 1
- fall home : to curve inward -- used of the timbers or upper parts of a ship's side
- fall into line : to comply with a certain course of action
- fall on or fall upon : to meet with <fell on hard times>
- fall over oneself or fall over backward : to display excessive eagerness
- fall short 1 : to be deficient 2 : to fail to attain something (as a goal or target)

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The .308 makes nearly everything in my neighborhood concealment - not cover.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How are the 16" versions?

louder than a freakin' cannon
and still rather heavy...
I saw a FAL turned into a pistol and it shot a 3-4' fireball from the end of the barrell
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/eh8q8
tinypic.com/eh8vk

Holy poo! Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is the perfected version, the L1A1.  This one was made by me.  Actually, the receiver is Imbel, and the parts are Lithgow, but I assembled it, so there...

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What's an FAL?
Why do people want them?
Do I want one too?

Another newbie question:

How does it compare to the HK 91/G3 clones with Century receiver that can be had for around $500?  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What I mean is:

What is an FAL used for?

An Fal is used for putting zombies down and shooting aliens. On the serious side probably one of the best most reliable firearms in the world.  The AR was designed for a lighter more compact firearm to replace the M-14. More ammo, lighter wieght, less recoil e.t.c. Check out DSA's web site , take a look at how awesome that weaopn can be.  They are so popular because one they fire the .308 winchester round. More power. Are extremely reliable and are pretty accurate for a battle rifle. Hope this helps. Take care.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

....OK ready.

Would I like to? Sure.

I just think the AR is a MUCH nicer looking rifle... nicer lines and parts that fit to look like it belongs on the rifle.  I know I know... apples and oranges... However I just dont see the fascination with them.

Step away from the freon and quit tripping....the FAL is elegance and class, it's the firearms equivalent of Audrey Hepburn when she was young. Sheer beauty and style and grace. She was born in Belgium, too.

The AR is sexy in a slutty way (which isn't a BAD thing). the FAL is style, baby, pure style....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's an FAL?
Why do people want them?
Do I want one too?

Another newbie question:

How does it compare to the HK 91/G3 clones with Century receiver that can be had for around $500?  

Absolutely kicks its ass. The Century guns are hit or miss, quality wise (their FALs, too).
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Every serious shooter/collector needs at least 1 FAL.  They are fun to shoot, easy to maintain/clean, fairly accurate (kit guns, the DSAs are a little better), very reliable, and parts/mags are cheap and plentiful.  Over 90 countries around the world fielded this rifle at one point or another; that right there should tell you all you need to know.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Oh, and niceguymr, do you think you want a metric or an inch FAL?  (That'll drive you nuts.)

Why?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Mags & Parts...  The rifle I built above, has a metric mag well anyhow.  True 'inch' mag wells are fairly uncommon.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

....OK ready.

Would I like to? Sure.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh what you SAID!  

And to THINK I wanted to have your BABY!

Zen
"This is my FAL, there aren't many like it, but this one kicks ass"  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Where can i find a good quality fal for a decent price? (not Hesse!)
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Ugly??? I think it looks sexy.

MT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#39]
This thread sucks!! I had my heart set on an AR now the FAL is looking better
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Again, get BOTH!!!

Jeez - you'd think he'd know that...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Get your AR first.  AK second.  FAL third.

Beauty, ruggedness, then style!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, get BOTH!!!

I would love to get both but my budget will only permit one purcahse and I don't want to push my luck as my wife is now unemployed and stays at home with our 5 month old daugther. I feel lucky to be able to afford one!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, get BOTH!!!

I would love to get both but my budget will only permit one purcahse and I don't want to push my luck as my wife is now unemployed and stays at home with our 5 month old daugther. I feel lucky to be able to afford one!!

Uh, I really don't suggest buying any in your situation!  Retirement accounts fully funded?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Uh, I really don't suggest buying any in your situation! Retirement accounts fully funded?

A FAL is considered retirement investment.

MT

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I got the AR first and years afterward, I got the FAL.  If I had it to do over again, I'd do it the same way.  If the SHTF, the AR would be my primary choice mostly due to familiarity.  But the FAL would be a very close 2nd.  It is very easy to shoot for a .30 caliber rifle.  I've got a G3-knockoff also, I dunno, the G3 isn't quite as fun to shoot as the FAL.  The FAL is a full size "battle rifle" and the weight shows it.  The G3 too for that matter.  That's another plus for the comparatively light AR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
And to THINK I wanted to have your BABY!

Gun-slut!

"This is my ZEN, there aren't any others like it, but this is the way we want it."

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Get your AR first. AK second. FAL third.

hey! it's AK first!!!

i love to take the fal to the steel plate shoots. the little .223's are just bouncing off the plates...rocking some of them and dropping some of them slowly.

the fal not only drops them...it often sends them flying!

Where do the Heckler and Jecklers fit in?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get your AR first. AK second. FAL third.

hey! it's AK first!!!

i love to take the fal to the steel plate shoots. the little .223's are just bouncing off the plates...rocking some of them and dropping some of them slowly.

the fal not only drops them...it often sends them flying!

Where do the Heckler and Jecklers fit in?

HK is..............................................................................HERE
AR's, AK's, FAL's are.....................................................HERE

[Tupac} That's just the way it is...some things will never change...oh yeah! That's just the way is, the way it is...oh yeah! [/Tupac]  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Oh no!  What have I done?  Now all of a sudden I feel like I NEED an FAL.

Just curious... I'm not to familiar with the previos ban.  Were FAL type rifles part of the AWB?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top