Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 7:27:02 PM EDT
Greeting!

I just found out I am on the hook for mobilization to Camp Arifjan in Kuwait. I want to take a laptop that will play DVD's etc.

I am looking for recommendations for a laptop that will hold up in the environment there, dust, heat, etc.

FWIW, I'll be assigned to the tent hospital there, not in the field anywhere.

Proud to be a REMF,

Doc H.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]

(wow! Pic is bigger than I thought)
Sorry, had to. I am looking for one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if you have lots of $$$.

www.miltope.com

But I didn't, so I went on the poor boys plan. I bought an off lease Compaq Armada for $500 that has everything I need for the deployment. If it craps out on me I am not out that much, and parts are cheap on ebay if something does go. Just get a rugged case and keep it as clean as you can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Itronix

Local to me, they have several military contracts.  However, I'm not sure how much they actually go for.  Stay safe over there!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My 5 yr old has a Bob the Builder laptop that's taken tons of abuse, but I unless  you can't count to 10 it won't do  you much good.  Seriously, if you think it might get some rough use then buy a warranty that will cover any kind of repair and get whichever one you like.  Unless you go for a ruggedized (sp?) laptop that can cost up to double they are all about the same durability.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ask your work, they just may donate one to an employee.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
About 8k.

Try Amrel. One sold on ebay for about $900 with DVD external and Linux pre-installed.

I recently sold a CF-71 Panasonic Toughbook for $590 on ebay.

Wish I had another one for you!

Here are a ton of them cheap on ebay. Price for new ones w/ batts is $500-$700.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Current supplier to the Navy and Marines for rugged laptops.
Nuff said!

Quoted:
Try Dolch Computers

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
In all honesty buy a regular laptop and then spend $100 and buy a pelican case.  If you want to watch movies, I would get one with a 17" screen.  I'm in Iraq and not a remf  and I have access to the internet and my regular old Toshiba works just fine.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Tough Book

Try a Panasononic Tough Book. I see a lot of these in use. They are a bit pricey compared to a normal laptop. You may be better off just buying a normal laptop. Most laptops are fairly rugged, and the power supplies normaly operate between 100 and 240 VAC 50/60 HZ.  

Whatever you do, do not bother to get anything with a floppy drive! Floppy drives go bad in .2 seconds in a sandy desert environment. Use a USB memory key or a CD burner.

I was deployed to Kuwait a few years ago. We lived in tents, and the guys who brought normal laptops did not seem to have a problem with them.  

If you want a normal laptop, I highly recomend the Toshiba Satelite series. These are great laptops for the money!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top