Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 3:46:34 PM EDT
This last weekend someone tried to enter my house by way of the doors, front and baack by prying the lock with a screwdriver. Damage to the doors was not too severe, and the door held tight. If the person had really tried he could have made it, so this make me suspect a kid in the neighborhood.

I need to update security around here, so looking for ideas.  I have no large mean dog or cameras, just security lights. I aaalso really believe it was attempted in daylight, as we were here all night every night.

Other than reinforcing the doors, what are some cost effective ideas that would help for daylight hours when we are gone. We have no companies like Brinks local, so that is out. Also, shotguns wired to the door is out, too much mess.... thanks.. fullclip
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
A Dog.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
big BADASS DOG+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Alarms are more of a pain in the ass than effective (going off all the time, bothering your keyholders in the middle of the night).  I've talked to burglars.... they aren't afraid of guns...they are too cocky.  One thing they are afraid of is big dogs.   Dogs don't play by human rules.  They don't feel pity, can't be bargained with, aren't afraid of lawsuits.  Re-consider a big dog.  My Rottwieler kept my home safe for 11 wonderful years.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
A dog would be allright, the main reason I don't have one is our schedule and habits. sometimes on the spur of the moment we may leave for a long weekend or week at a time, making the feed and care of the dog difficult. They tend to want to eat on  a schedule also. Getting someone to care for him when we are out would be a problem. ..fullclip
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Pay some really evil looking homeless guy to hang out in your driveway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It dosen't have to be a mean scary dog either.

We had a guy break into three houses on my street the summer before last. The two houses south of me and the one next door to the north. Mine was left alone. I can only assume the 120 pound lab mix in the yard (invisible fenced) that barks at anything kept him away(and maby saved his life).

I came home that day early about 2:30in the afternoon with my son to see the cop cars next door. The neighbor's wife was home when he tried to get in and called the cops. Out here it takes the cops about 10-15 min to arrive.

If it wasn't for the dog he might have been in my house when I got home.

Yes, I was armed. No, I don't want to have to shoot anybody especialy in front of my kids.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok a security system needs to have lots of sound and lights, the thieves will run away, and dogs are a plus.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
A severed head on a pike in my front yard seems to do the trick. Just make sure to change it out with a fresh one from time to time so that it recognizable as human. The time a given head will last depends current weather conditions, and of course, the head itself.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Well if an alarm is out and a dog is out I can think of a few things....

Strengthern all your doors, windows, locks, and if you have a garage get that two, and if it's electric scramble the codes....

Theres a number of products that block doors like barracades, they should be pretty cheap and simple to use, depending on the prodact just wedge it in, or screw it in place....

There are also some do it yourself alarms, that don't requir a service, and are relateivly easy to use and idiot proof some common ones are little alarm boxes that are hung over doorknobs, and if there moved they go off, or adheasive types that stick to windows and detect people comeing through the windows, there are also magnetic types that work for door, and windows, as well as a number of other things....

Alternetively you could try some booby traps, heres some novel ones stopthecrime.com/products.htm when triggered they spray a cloud of OC (Pepper Spray....), alternativly there are a varietty of types available from surplus stores, like trip wires attached to a device to set off a rifle, or pistol round, or a shotgun shell blanks ofcourse but you could put real rounds in them as well, though that would probably be illegal, there are also ones that trigger glow lights, flares etc.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Good deadbolt locks & reinforced strike plates help alot, Security lights also help.
A Good & I Mean Good ALarm system (Not some Half assed IR sensor & Front door wired only false alarm prone system) is the best thing, Wire all doors & windows to detect opening & ALL glass to detect breakage, Back up the perimeter with good motion sensors for use when you are away (Incase some bozo actually tries to cut a hole in a wall to get in). And most important of all "use the system", You will not believe all the people who get robbed because they leave their alarm systems off.
Dogs are great but a pain in the ass.
All of the above will buy you time, Time for the bad guy to be spotted by someone & Time to arm yourself, Every little thing that makes the bad guys life difficult is good.      
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
A T100 Terminater should do. Do you like dogs? Pretty much a large dog that isn't a wimp will work. I had an 85 lb. black lab that would pretty much try to KILL ANYBODY who went into the back yard. He was almost TOO agressive! You don't need a huge dog like a Mastiff and they don't really live that long either. Anyway, hope this helps. Take care.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
A severed head on a pike in my front yard seems to do the trick. Just make sure to change it out with a fresh one from time to time so that it recognizable as human. The time a given head will last depends current weather conditions, and of course, the head itself.

+1

I have found this to be effective, too.  Good suggestion, guy!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Get yourself one of those alarm company signs/stickers and post it near your doorways.  That, in itself, may be enough to discourage your next amateur cat-burglar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
How about an alarm that barks like a dog. Put an emty dog bowl outside, a leash, and a collar that says SATAN.
Alarm service companys are not very effective if you live in a rural area. It is a low priority call and distance to drive = long response time.
Do  not under any circumstances use booby traps as suggested above. Remember Ability+opportunity+JEOPARDY. If you are not home you are not in jeopardy.
Good locks, cameras, real dogs,old nosey neighbors, all seem like good ideas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If you refuse to install a real alarm system, you are left with hardening the house.

This means burgular bars on all windows and doors.  Steel framed doors and steel security doors.

If you are not home, motion lights are worthless, all they do is light the way for the burgulars.

Even if it is kids, they are watching your house and they KNOW whenb it is empty.

As far as using cameras, the problem with most residential installs is people go cheap.  You have to have top grade equipment to be able ti id someone from a tape.  Cheap cameras are no better than motion detectors for id purposes.

A detirmined person can enter any structure  in 15 nimutes or less if it is remote and unalarmed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Get yourself one of those alarm company signs/stickers and post it near your doorways.  That, in itself, may be enough to discourage your next amateur cat-burglar.

yup, and some fake cameras if you are trying to do it on the cheap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My main area of concern is when we are gone. We have a small Rat Terrier for in the house, but he is just loud and not viscous. All but two windows are fairly well protected with shrubs and such, may put bars on the patio window.

I would like cameras, but after the mess with my neighbor I will have to think it over a little... fullclip
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]

CW
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was a kid, my mother planted large rose bushes in front  of the windows, to keep
me from sneeking out at night, make it hard as you can for someone to get in, they will
move onto a easier target
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Was your neighbor the crank head that called the cops on you?

As far as losses, generally speaking, you are more likely to suffer a loss due to a structure fire than a burgulary. Alarm systems get a generous discount for you from your insurance carrier because they will report the fire for you when you are away.  

Other ways to make your property less enviting is to fence the property, and fence the driveway.  Gate on the road always closed wether home or not.  This funnels the traffic and makes escape more difficult.  Also, thieves want to drive right up and load up.  Make that difficult for them.

Remember to allow room for fire trucks to access your property.

Some sheriff depts will do a driveby each shift for 30 days if requested.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Was your neighbor the crank head that called the cops on you?

As far as losses, generally speaking, you are more likely to suffer a loss due to a structure fire than a burgulary. Alarm systems get a generous discount for you from your insurance carrier because they will report the fire for you when you are away.  

Other ways to make your property less enviting is to fence the property, and fence the driveway.  Gate on the road always closed wether home or not.  This funnels the traffic and makes escape more difficult.  Also, thieves want to drive right up and load up.  Make that difficult for them.

Remember to allow room for fire trucks to access your property.

Some sheriff depts will do a driveby each shift for 30 days if requested.

Good memory, You're right, he is the one. I really don't think he tried to break in.
Quite possibly his teenage son. He has a history....

Some good ideas here. My neighborhood is usually very quiet. 1 block from school, stay at home mothers and a very nosey neighbor across the street. Good guy keeps an eye out for us... fullclip
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]
My home security is basically 1) 8 lb Minature Pincher  with a loud shrill bark  1) 20 lb Boston Terrier who barks when the min pin does and  1) 140 lb Female Rottweiller who hates strangers in HER HOUSE.  A big dog is a pain in the ass but my house is ALWAYS safe and secure.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is something you can try, price is right....free.

www.soft411.com/company/Fernpages/HSSVSS-Home-Security-Video-system.htm

I have no relationship with this company, use safe computing practices.

I have used this type software for computer cams before, and it works well.  The limiting factor is the camera.

If you like the idea, but not the software, try a search for similar programs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top