BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 1:12:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
*cough*dvd-rental *cough*
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny, when I graduated from college, I told my dad "I learned more watching the History Channel, Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel than I did in 5 years of college.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The History Channel is good, but beware that sometimes they do air programs which have a distinct agenda, and are really not factually correct - not offen, but it happens.

There was one not too long ago about Hitler, it was full of ad hominem attacks, innuendo and other stuff which if it had been anyone other than Hitler would almost certainly have caused some outrage -- stuff like:

And here we see a photograph of Hitler with some guy - now that we have established that he was a raging homosexual ...

I am far from being an apologist for Hitler, but that sort of program was so obviously biased that it really had no place on an educational channel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to set my digital video recorder to record anything on the History Channel during the day that looks interesting.  Then I can check it out when I get home in the evening... or the weekend if it's a lot of stuff... and it can be  :)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If it weren't for the History channel (and the Discovery channel to a lesser extent), I wouldn't own a TV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a problem with one of the Sworn to Secrecy shows...the ones about the Mike forces and the Yards...The one SF that said that he did not trust the Yards and had a code word with his other SF teammate that in case the Yards turnded on them that they would kill them all...

Which is directly counter to all that I have read and to men that I have talked to that worked with the Yards, saying that they trusted them without hesitation...

I also don't like that loudmouth Hackworth (sp?)...I just don't like him....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
2 million dead, 1 million wounded NVA in Vietnam. Ouch
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
There was an awsome show on WW I in color, yesterday morning.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
i learned more by reading books that i bought than sitting through years of publik educashun.  i think we spend 5 or 10 minutes of the Vietnam war during high school.    
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I just recently started watching the history channel. And I have to say it has become the most watched on my TV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The only channels worth watching:

History Channel
Discovery Channel
Discovery Wings
Speed Channel
Fox Sports
And sometimes Comedy Central
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So what's on tonight, anyway? Anything particularly good?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
History Channel -

Network TV -
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The History Channel is good, but beware that sometimes they do air programs which have a distinct agenda, and are really not factually correct - not offen, but it happens.

There was one not too long ago about Hitler, it was full of ad hominem attacks, innuendo and other stuff which if it had been anyone other than Hitler would almost certainly have caused some outrage -- stuff like:

And here we see a photograph of Hitler with some guy - now that we have established that he was a raging homosexual ...

I am far from being an apologist for Hitler, but that sort of program was so obviously biased that it really had no place on an educational channel.

+1

They had another program about Hitler that said he suffered from Parkinson's Disease.  They neglected to explore the fact that he was consuming (or rather was prescribed by his physician) large quantities of amphetamines which would cause almost identical symptoms.  Watcher beware.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

History Channel
Discovery Channel
Discovery Wings
Speed Channel History International
Fox Sports News

You were close... you get a A for effort!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

History Channel
Discovery Channel
Discovery Wings
Speed Channel History International
Fox Sports News

You were close... you get a A for effort!

Yes, the *8* channels worth watching are:

History Channel
History International
Discovery Channel
Discovery Wings
Speed Channe
Fox Sports
Fox News
Comedy Central
.. and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

No, *among* the channels worth watching are...
I'll come in again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The History Channel and the true crime stuff on A&E are the only reason I watch the boob tube.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Discovery Times always has Navy SEAL stuff on there :)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Discovery Times has some pretty good programing but sometimes they show their ties to the NY Times and show their liberal bias.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 for Discovery Times Channel programming

But kudos to the History Channel as they re-played

Tales of The Gun-The AK47 .............this weekend

damn, I love that stuff
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
2 million dead, 1 million wounded NVA in Vietnam. Ouch

The ouchy part is that they still won.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]

If it weren't for the History channel (and the Discovery channel to a lesser extent), I wouldn't own a TV.

+1

Don't forget Fox News.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a problem with one of the Sworn to Secrecy shows...the ones about the Mike forces and the Yards...The one SF that said that he did not trust the Yards and had a code word with his other SF teammate that in case the Yards turnded on them that they would kill them all...

Which is directly counter to all that I have read and to men that I have talked to that worked with the Yards, saying that they trusted them without hesitation...

While I agree with your assessment I bet there was still more than one guy who did not trust the Montanyards, and if someone said they had a contingency plan I believe them.

I'm with you the plan to deal with indigs if they turn on you...hell I would have had one too...but by using that one SF's tale and no other interviews with other SF's, they made it sound like EVERYONE distrusted the Yards....which was not the truth....

I really do not know what happend to the History Channel....not that I hate it or do not watch it, I do and so does my son...but in the last couple of years they have been more prone to play fast and loose with the facts than in the past...

BTW, as someone posted, the WWI in Color shows that was one yesterday was good..and how timely...I'm building 2 models, one is a Sopwith Camel fighter and a Fokker DR.1 Tripe...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#26]
HS history classes were worthless. I learned quite a bit from books and documentaries.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I agree with your assessment I bet there was still more than one guy who did not trust the Montanyards, and if someone said they had a contingency plan I believe them.

I'm with you the plan to deal with indigs if they turn on you...hell I would have had one too...but by using that one SF's tale and no other interviews with other SF's, they made it sound like EVERYONE distrusted the Yards....which was not the truth....

I really do not know what happend to the History Channel....not that I hate it or do not watch it, I do and so does my son...but in the last couple of years they have been more prone to play fast and loose with the facts than in the past...

BTW, as someone posted, the WWI in Color shows that was one yesterday was good..and how timely...I'm building 2 models, one is a Sopwith Camel fighter and a Fokker DR.1 Tripe...

Actually I recall several shows on the History Channel that talked very facturally about the yards, how valuable and loyal they were and the fact that we eventually abandoned them and the SF community took it very hard. I'd say the majority of shows about this topic are from that persepctive.

When taken as a whole, this one perspective becomes a unique minority. Keep in mind not every show can be a catalog of every opinion or fact. History (and shows about it) should be able to presume a prerequisite knowledge base.

I think this is the actual case concerning History Channel documentaries and don't believe it is one of modified history.

In short I think anyone who knows anything about Vietnam should already know about the Yards.

You are right..there were a couple of shows last year that were about the Mike Forces and Hachet Companys, SOG/MACV, and Unconventional Warfare that put the Yards and the Hmong mercenaries in a good light.

What we did, by leaving them behind to to NVA, was IMO, crimnal.

I just seem to remember that the History Channel, for the last couple of years, is not up to what it used to be....Don't get me wrong, I still watch it....and enjoy it...but I think it's time to update some of the shows that they repackage and show over and over again.

However, more and more people look to channels like the History Channel, for their info on history and many I know, do not have a base to draw from.

History is not cool to alot of people and many do not take it in College unless they have too and High school history is a joke...

But hey...we have hijacked this thread enough....

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]
History Channel, about 95% of my TV.
some local news and Fox and that's it.

I can watch The History Channel 24/7.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top