Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2001 5:23:32 PM EDT
I went to a few gun stores today after work to get some Black hills 223 68 gr blue box. First guy I went to only had the red box at $35 for 50 rounds. Sounded very high to me but I only shoot the blue box,so I wasn't sure.I figured I would try some place else. He tried to talk me into cheap 55 gr rounds. So that was a failure.
The next guy I went to had his eyes glued to the TV. I asked him if he had the Black hill and he doesn't even stock the product. So far these 2 stores are mainly hunting. Very few military stuff and no surplus. First store had some AR's and M1A's but not that many. Second store were die hard hunting. (not that there is anything wrong with hunting but to me that is not a well rounded store)
So I went to a third store and I asked and she said that they were out of stock and to think of it they have been for a long time. I said why? She said we just don't order that much.

My point of this thread is do the gun stores have any idea why people like me and others shop online. They say they get pissed when people don't buy things from them. Only 1 out of the three tried to sell me something. Unfortunately he tried to sell me something I didn't want. No one else said sir what are you shooting,I have this to substitute, I can order it for you, nothing, like talking to a corps.
The first store said the red box was expensive cause they were moly coated.
I use gun stores very little. I shop online! I go to the extent when I buy a gun thats all I buy. I have the intention to go home and get on the computer. They also have prices that are very high. Myabe it is cause I live in downstate NY. It is a very expensive place so we suffer on all sides. I am finished venting!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't hate gun stores, I've just become more selective about where I shop.  Out of the six or seven in my local area, two have actually seemed to care about whether I spend money there or not.

I don't patronize the others.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
ill tell ya you hit the nail on the head.  most stores seem so arrogant as if they look at you and automatically say, "i know more than you, you are a non-shooting muther********."  i found one here in AZ, more specifically in north scottsdale that is extremely professional and courteous as well as knowledgeable.  hope you find one too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
i know what you mean - its hard to find good stuff at good prices (if at all!). sounds like you took a trip to Walden!    [;)]

gunshows have been annoying me too! i go to bulk-up on ammo, and i go to gun shops for cleaning supplies. although i see a need in supporting both of these ventures, i find myself buying online more and more.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
These gripes are one of the main reasons I load my own.  Sure it takes time, and is a bother sometimes (although I enjoy reloading most of the time), but I can get the load I  want that way.  No one to tell me they "don't stock it", or "have run out and don't know when they will have more". [:(]

I don't hate gun stores, each  store seems to have their own main thrust so far as what they are trlying to sell to you.  In my immediate area, there are rally only three including the store at the range where I shoot that I do busines with.  Most evrything I buy is internet or mail-order, any more.   [:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of these gun stores are out of touch with what people are buying these days. many of these stores stock more revolvers and lever action rifles than anything else and if you ask them for some .223 ammo, they have none. You go back in the store in 2 weeks, they still have none.
How can a gun store NOT have a popular and commonly used caliber ammunition like .223?
But hey!! they have plenty of slugs for those black powder rifles everyone is buying these days.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a BIG problem in Northern VA. Up until about 2 years ago the gun stores were pretty well stocked. Now I walk in and get the feeling that they are going out of business. NOTHING on the shelves around here. And the ammo is ridicously priced. I go the gun shows to stock up on ammo or go on line. Part of the problem I think is that there is so much red tape and taxes and waiting periods people are just saying forget it, I'll go out of county.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
After reading this I realise that I must be lucky to have a local gundealer that I've gone to for years. He's open 7 days a week. He has over 1500 guns in stock. He must have at least 25 differnt AR15's. He has black powder rifles, pistols. He has shotguns, lever actions, bolt guns,semi autos, single shots. He has pistols, single shots, wheel guns, semi autos.I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but he probably has it. He carries surplus ammo all the way up to high dollar ammo. He must have 35 gun safes and pretty much any thing you can think of to put in it. What I like most is he will deal with you. I very seldom have to go somewhere else. If you live in central Indiana do yourself a favor and go to LUDCO in Parker City on 32 between Muncie and Winchester. You'll be glad you did.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
www.ammoman.com...no black hills last time I was there, but lotsa good cheap ammo, no shipping charges...if you absolutely gottahave the black hills, try DSA (don't recall the address, but sure you can find it on falfiles.com)...
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Pompey,

Are you talking about the one on the Corner of Hayden and Raintree.  I think that is the best gun store I have ever been in.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun stores and fun shows are among of the handful of places where I can go where I am not greeted with instant hostility or shunned. So no, I do not hate them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
It somtimes feels like buying 2x4's in a candy store. They even treat you like your a golfer buying supplies, or somthing!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
If this sport is going to stay alive the gun stores and vendors will have to do there part. If gunners are treated like this what will a woman be treated like? How is a female shooter going to feel comfortable to get advice and learn? If she does get advice will it be the right advice? I don't think the gun stores give a rats a$$ about truth,and solid fact. Just suppose a woman knows nothing about guns and wants to buy an AR15 and she gets one of these top salesman that just sees dollars signs and pawns off a post ban as a preban. Then she gets in trouble. Or better yet sells her a gun for CCW but she knows very little about shooting and needs a diferent type of gun for her needs. Gun stores are supposed to be a place for advice and merchandise. Like a hardware store but for the shooting industry. They are nothing like that. And if they are, they are few and far between!

I believe that we should buy from gun stores to keep them in business but they have to do there part as well!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Once last year, I went into a local shop to do some business. I had done business at this shop before with the owner, who I considered to be a pompous ass, but at least he seemed to know something about guns.

On this particular day, the owner was not there. Behind the counter was a woman. I told her I wanted to buy an M1 Garand. Simple transaction, fill out paperwork, show the proper papers, pay up and wait ten days.

She was attempting to tell me how CA gun laws work, and how FFLs' have to be very careful with their license, and basically how the public doesn't know shit about the law or weapons.

Then she told me I couldn't buy the "M1 Garand" behind the counter because it wasn't CA legal.

In a way she was right.

It was an M1A with a flash hider.

I tried to correct her, to no avail. She insisted it was a type of Garand. I finally agreed, just nodded and made more small talk.

I went into that store with every intention of making a major purchase.

I walked out of there ASAP and found a new shop.

BTW, she is a FFL holder. Don't always assume they know what they are talking about.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Basically alot of local gun store owner/workers think there sh*t don't stink. I was in one last week lookin to p/u some ammo. Four people behind the counter, I'am standing at the counter with one other customer in the store, who was being helped by someone I guess he knows from the store. I had never been in this store before, so I stood their for about fifteen minutes and not of the four people behind the counter asked if I needed help. They kept walking past me like I wasn't there. So, I start walking towards the door, and then someone say's, "can I help you". I said,"i'am here fifteen minutes, nobody offers help until I'am walking out the door, GOODBYe!!" I could very well see if they were busy, I have alot of patience, but to ignore me!!   F/U
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#16]
matt, thats the one!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a BIG problem in Northern VA.
View Quote

Have you been to Virginia Arms in Manassas?

Bernie's prices are a little higher than what you'll find online, esp. for ammo and mags, but you're not going to beat online prices for those anywhere.  His selection of rifles and handguns is pretty good and he'll listen when you tell him what you're looking for and try to get it for you.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went to a few gun stores today after work to get some Black hills 223 68 gr blue box
View Quote

Out of the 15,000 different boxes of ammo out there, the dirty bastard didn't have what you wanted?
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Country Pursuits in Fayetteville, GA has the nicest people working there. But their prices are way too high!
-Chuck
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
while many gun store owners are arrogant, spend  $1000. there and they will treat you like gold.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top