BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 8:12:38 AM EDT
www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1256239/posts?page=1

An arresting offer: guns for freedom
The Baltimore Sun ^ | October 25, 2004 | Ryan Davis

Posted on 10/25/2004 10:40:14 AM CDT by neverdem

Two police officers dropped the handcuffed man on the brick steps before Sheila Harding's front door, she says.

From his knees, 23-year-old Richard William Rogers Jr. pleaded to the woman who helped raise him. "They're locking me up," he
remembers saying. "But if you give them a gun, they'll let me go."

It was a startling proposition, Harding says: Trade a gun to avoid a criminal charge.

Interviews and court documents reveal this is a common deal offered by Baltimore police to the suspects they arrest, usually in minor
drug cases. It's so typical that one lieutenant recently declared it a regular procedure within the Police Department's Southern District.
And some officers developed forms to complete when conducting such exchanges.

"That's kidnapping and holding for ransom," says Harding, a 59-year-old South Baltimore resident. "And because they have a badge and
a gun, they're allowed to get away with it."

Guns-for-freedom trades have persisted in Baltimore for years, largely unchecked by police department leaders and entirely
unsanctioned by the rest of the criminal justice system. Prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges and residents say it raises serious
concerns about the authority being exerted by the Baltimore Police Department.

The deals aren't legal or enforceable, experts say.

Residents such as Harding say the practice promotes unwarranted arrests. Criminal defense attorneys say the deals are frequently
broken, prompting distrust of police. Prosecutors say police are usurping the power of prosecutors and judges.

"How is that justice?" asks Cheryl Jacobs, the chief prosecutor of the city state's attorney's narcotic division. "That's not the way our
system of justice is set up to work. ... It's laudable to get guns off the street, but this is not the way we go about it."

MORE.......EXCERPT FROM BALTIMORE SUN...it sucks but you gotta register to get the rest...

www.baltimoresun.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF?

Why is IAD not fisting these bitches to death?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd give them a fucking gun, all right...bullets first.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm......  if it's a serious charge does it require a nicer gun?  Sir, we've charged you with murder, but in exchange for a nice Sig 550 it can all go away...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
maybe there is a reason to keep a jennings or hesse around!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
maybe there is a reason to keep a jennings or hesse around!

LOL!  Maryland, and especially Baltimore, sucks.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this for real? I ain't buying it. I think the give away is the part that after the deal is made the cops break their word and arrest them anyway.

Criminal defense attorneys say the deals are frequently
broken, prompting distrust of police

That's how cops do stuff, they lie to you and dangle freedom in front of you just to get a confession then they ignore the "agreement" they made cause it's legal to do so. Case in point, I had a friend who I picked up in Brooklyn NY from a subway station. Unbeknownst to me he had purchased Pot from some guy at the station 5 minutes before. But the cops were "tailing" him. (and me) Then at a red light like three unmarked cars block us in, pointing their guns at us. They dragged us out quick. Then said to us, Give us the pot and anything else you got and we'll let you go! No shit that's what they said! They then seperated me from my friend, who they put in the back of a car. Then I said Nope I aint' got nuthin. They said "come on we know you got something, Give it to us. If you don't and we have to search you and find something in your car we'll arrest you AND confiscate your car" (this was my first introduction to Gov't confiscation of property)  But guess what? I did'nt have SHIT! So they became angry I refused to turn over "the shit" they made me get in the back of a Police van where they stripped searched me, While the rest tore apart my car.(welcome to the CCCP) My friend gave up his shit right away to prevent arrest so guess what ? they hauled him off! As to me, after they realised I had nothing on me (well nothing they could find) They let me go, But before that one of em says "If I ever see you arond here again I'm arresting you for Loitering and you'll lose your car."
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Cops lying?  par for the course, it's in their job description and protected by law.

cops can/will tell you anything up to and including we'll go after your family, friends, etc unless you cooperate.(
won't be long in this day and age and attitudes where they'll be back to beating confessions out of people.

Freedom sure is nice.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top