Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 7:52:14 AM EDT
So friday night was a quiet night, didn't do much, watched a movie etc..

And saturday morning went to the store to find, that some asshole had popped the column on my car.

Couple of good things,

A) these guys were pros, not just bull%$#@ hoodrats. They took apart the cover, didn't break the window etc... so its not as bad as it could be (silver lining and all that)

B) They didn't steal it, I guess they couldn't get it, ran out of time, so they just took my speakerbox from the trunk. didn't touch the stereo, speakers or anything else in the car.

So anyways tell me what you know about car alarms, the ones you like, or not to waste time on.

How expensive am I looking at for a decent alarm?

I don't think it will deter them, but that way I will hear it, and can go investigate with mr walther.

Basically I am clueless about them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
For about $300 you can get a alarm that outmatically open the doors with a button push.  And it will sound if the car is rocked or if a window is broken.  They can be set at varing degrees of sensativity.

ANd that price was installed.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For about $300 you can get a alarm that outmatically open the doors with a button push.  And it will sound if the car is rocked or if a window is broken.  They can be set at varing degrees of sensativity.

ANd that price was installed.

SGtar15

Ohh me likey,

was it at a chain place, or a mom and pop store?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Another solution is to install a fuel supply or ignition cutoff switch ... or both! (arfcom: "get both!").

I have these installed on an older vehicle of mine, I hid them under the dash in separate locations, so if they find one, they probably wont find the other. The fuel shutoff works especially well because if they do wind up bypassing the ignition cutout and get it started, they wont get very far after the carb runs out of fuel, if its fuel injected ... it wont even start.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Another solution is to install a fuel supply or ignition cutoff switch ... or both! (arfcom: "get both!").

I have these installed on an older vehicle of mine, I hid them under the dash in separate locations, so if they find one, they probably wont find the other. The fuel shutoff works especially well because if they do wind up bypassing the ignition cutout and get it started, they wont get very far after the carb runs out of fuel, if its fuel injected ... it wont even start.

Hmm.. where would I ask about such things?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I HIGHLY recommend you get this done at a shop that specializes in installing these alarms.  SUre you can do it yourself, but they will do alot more professional job.  When it comes to cars and electronics, shopping for the cheapest price is never a good idea.  Check out a few shops in your town untill you find one you feel you can trust.  They can also add the cut-off switch easily.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm.. where would I ask about such things?

Actually, I've never thought about it, But I bet someone does make kits for this purpose. I've always just rigged it up myself.

You can find a the ignition wire and put a switch in it ... same thing with the power wire to your fuel pump if it is electric ... if mechanical ... you can put a fuel shut off solenoid in the fuel line somewhere. Fuel will not pass unless that solenoid gets power.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I HIGHLY recommend you get this done at a shop that specializes in installing these alarms.  SUre you can do it yourself, but they will do alot more professional job.  When it comes to cars and electronics, shopping for the cheapest price is never a good idea.  Check out a few shops in your town untill you find one you feel you can trust.  They can also add the cut-off switch easily.

SGatr15

If it is above the level of wiring a stereo, don't worry it will be installed.

I'm stupid when it comes to 'lectronic stuff.

As far as the cheapest route, I hear you on that, but I also don't need all the bells and whistles cooks you breakfast type alarm, cause its only a Honda Civic. Kinda like putting in a stereo thats value is higher than the ride.

So for a decent one it should run $250-$350 ish installed? correct, or am I shortselling it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#8]

This alarm is cheaper.  In fact, you may already own it.

This one also 'rings' when your vehicle is being broken into, but only if you are home, unfortunately.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#9]
One word CLIFFORDyou get what you pay for !!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Alarms do nothing really to thwart crime. Unless you are in earshot you will not be able to hear it. You need a system that pages you. They have them that work up to a mile away and warn you of any attempts. It is a good thing to consider.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]
most any car stereo place will sell/install alarms inside the $300 range.  My recommendation (from experience) is to get it done AWAY from your home area.  Most of the installers I've met are young men of the Yo MTV Raps genre. (who just happen to be in the age/social bracket of the typical punk)  I got an alarm installed in my truck in Phoenix about 10 yrs ago.  2 days later, Phoenix PD caught 2 homies breaking into it.  One of them worked at the store I bought the alarm at and he had a list of customer's addresses and vehicles as well as what alarm/stereo systems were installed.

An alarm will stop a lot of your casual theives, which is probably around 90% of the bastards out there, but nothing on the market today is gonna stop a true professional.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
most any car stereo place will sell/install alarms inside the $300 range.  My recommendation (from experience) is to get it done AWAY from your home area.  Most of the installers I've met are young men of the Yo MTV Raps genre. (who just happen to be in the age/social bracket of the typical punk)  I got an alarm installed in my truck in Phoenix about 10 yrs ago.  2 days later, Phoenix PD caught 2 homies breaking into it.  One of them worked at the store I bought the alarm at and he had a list of customer's addresses and vehicles as well as what alarm/stereo systems were installed.

An alarm will stop a lot of your casual theives, which is probably around 90% of the bastards out there, but nothing on the market today is gonna stop a true professional.  

And thats for real, I just want it for the "Hey what is that loud noise" factor.

Also is their any way to not have it be that traditional "Car Alarm" noise, you know the "WHOOP WHOOP ASCENDING ASCENDING ERRRR ERRRR"
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This alarm is cheaper.  In fact, you may already own it.

This one also 'rings' when your vehicle is being broken into, but only if you are home, unfortunately.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=32688&iGalleryUnq=1628&iImageUnq=31473

Hmm I have to give that picture a 1 , no food, no drink, no measuring device, no stapler, no napkin..... oh wait , wrong thread.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#14]
No matter what you do, if a pro wants the car, they'll get the car.  The trick is to make them not want the car.  What you want to do is put as many obsticles in their way as possible.  Start with a trip to Kragen or Pep Boys and spend $50 on an "Auto Lock".  Unlike the club it locks the brake column of the car, so you can't get it into gear.  The club can be removed by cutting the steering wheel, you're not gonna cut into the brake column.  It can be opened with the right lockpick, but the pick is expensive and few people know how to use it.   Usually once a thief sees that, and the red flashing light on my dash, they move on to the next car.  

On top of an alarm consider a Lojack, or Onstar tracking system.   They cost some dollars, but you can get up to a 15% discount on your car insurance.  I work in Emeryville, CA.  There are a lot of thefts around here, and the cars go right to the Oakland Port.  Most of the Lojack installers around here brag the car gets found within 15 minutes of the Lojack activation, and the theives never get very far.   We've had a few thefts where I work, and the cops have recommend the Lojack to people that work here.
What I don't like about it is that it's not much of a deterrent.  There are no visible signs it's installed.  There is a newer version that alerts your keyring if someone moves with your car.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Car alarms?????  WAIST OF MONEY if a pro wants your carthey will get it!!!!  A good theif can cut a car alarm in seconds, also people generally are not good samaritans anymore I have seen a freinds car broken into in a parking lot directly in front of a busy restraunt in broad daylight.  Noone will call the cops anymore and when they do the cops will tell them to fuck off, a car alarm is only good if you hear it.  Check your local laws on shooting someone for breaking into your car.  In Louisiana, unless you are in legitimate fear for your life you cannot shoot outside your home regardless of the fact a car is an extension of property in LA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have a perimiter alarm it will alert you before anyone can even get into the vehicle to steal it. If you have a pager, you can be inside your home and know your vehicle is safe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#17]
The point of an alarm isn't to stop the professionals, it's to stop the petty thieves and the joyriders who make up 95% of car thiefts.

ANd yes, for $300 you should be able to get one installed.

SGatr15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top