Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 5:56:53 AM EDT
What would happen if a plane carrying an NFL team went down?
It happened in college football back in the 70s with Marshall, and NFL teams fly twice as much.  Think about it...a crash with an NFL team would kill the whole team, all the coaches, the sports media of the city they represent and most of the team's front office as well.
Leaving aside for the moment the personal tragedies involved, how would the NFL handle it?  Would they cancel the whole season?  If they didn't, how would they rearrange things for the rest of the schedule?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It's amazing that it has not happened in the entire history of the NFL, MLB, or NBA. Think about how many times a flight has taken off with a team on board. We're talking literally hundreds of thousands of instances.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
They'd blame it on Bush for having viscously slashed the budget of the FAA and NTSB in order to give lavish tax breaks to Halliburton....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's amazing that it has not happened in the entire history of the NFL, MLB, or NBA. Think about how many times a flight has taken off with a team on board. We're talking literally hundreds of thousands of instances.

I would say the reason it hasn't happened yet, despite what you've said, is testament to the record of air line safety. Flying really is very safe. It's just rather unforgiving if you do have a problem.

But I have no idea how the NFL, et.al. would handle it. I don't see anybody canceling the rest of the season. Too much money involved for that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It would suck for the season ticket holders....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think they would cancel the season, they would obviously have to cancel the games that the team was scheduled to play.

Quoted:

ROFLMAO, yeah everyone else would miss a few games, the ticket holders of that team though would miss them all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the major sports leagues already have contingency plans for such events.   IIRC, they involve something like a mid-season expansion draft where so many players on each team would be protected and a reconstituted team would be created to finish the season.

Googled...

Here's a link to a story concerning the issue:

http://www.s-t.com/daily/02-01/02-07-01/c05sp133.htm
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I know it would suck but they fly a whole lot less than a nascar team flies. Nasca has what,36 races a season and the NFL has what, 16 games. But anything could happen. It would alot of dead rich guys (thats what the denocrates would say)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If it were the AZ Cardinals, they could just replace the whole team with the ASU Sun Devils' team and probably end the season with a better record.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If they could not field a team they would probably forfeit or possibly they would institute a supplemental draft to allow them to restock.  Manchester United lost 7 or 8 players in 1958 in a plane crash and IIRC continued to play but were not winning very often.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's apples and oranges.
This was a small plane landing at a small field, and isn't that always the problem? Payne Stewart, Buddy Holley, Richie Valens, SRV, etc... All small planes.
Airliners don't crash that often. An individual player may fly on a small, or private aircraft, but you don't put football teams on small birds. There are just too many guys.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't know how the leagues would react, but the odds of there having to are very small.

The probability that the team would be killed on the bus ride from the airport to the stadium is several orders of magnitude higher than the odds of the team dying in a commercial plane crash. Less than 1 commercial airline passenger out of every 2 MILLION who flies each year is killed in a plane crash.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Well....with the way the Dolphins are playing it appears it already happened........

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't that happen in Beetlejuice?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No way, man.  Gene Hackman would have Keanu Reeves out there doing what it takes to get into the playoffs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not want to be the insurance carrier writing the coverage for an NFL charter flight where each passenger is an average $10 million payout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top