Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 11:59:12 PM EDT
I just wanted to get some opinions on the best way to ship a pistol. I have shipped several pistols in the past and have always just shipped them priority to the ffl. I know you are supposed to either have a ffl ship them out or a individual can ship them over night with fedex and previously ups but that ends up costing $40 if not more. It seems to me though after looking it over its just a ups and fedex policy and not a law. What is the worse that can happen if you were to ship a pistol standard ups or fedex could they do anything at all and even if they could are they allowed to open the package to see whats in it. What do you recommend I am looking at a used pistol online but cant afford to pay $45 s&h and then another $20 to my ffl.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Either through UPS or FedEX, you must ship the firearms overnight (handguns, not longarms. longarms can be shipped standard).

DHL or whatever their name is will not ship any firearms, for any reason. Period. Asshats.

UPS guys might give you shit for sending the firearm and say it is not legal for you (as a non-licensed person) to ship the handgun, but you will need to correct them. They will have a book with their rules pertaining to shipping firearms behind the counter. Trust me, I know.

Their (UPS) rules is that a non-FFL can legally ship a handgun to a FFL, licensed dealer, licensed gunsmith, manufacturer, or similar. The idiot behind the counter might say that they need a copy of the recipients license before they will ship, just reffer back to their own regulations and show them that you do not need to. If they won't ship it, talk to their manager. I had to teach a woman with "21 years experience" how to read and comprehend english so she could understand UPS regulations.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know ups wont let you ship a firearm unless its for a repair only this doesnt include shipping a pistol to a ffl for anyother reason including sales. I think they just changed their policies recently. Here what  found on gunbrokers website
UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.
heres the link: http://www.gunbroker.com/user/ShippingGuide.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top