Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 8:28:03 PM EDT
So I have plans on getting a .40 sigma it is the full size two tone with the accessory rail . But am curious about what people have to say about them. I have shot several Glocks and have a Taurus PT145 how does the sigma compare. Also how is reliability, accuracy or whatever else.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
just get the damn glock

S&W got sued for copying the glock design for the sigma. IIRC

I've shot two sigmas and they didnt work too well for me, with a bunch of FTE, FTF probs with factory mags.
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate mag safeties!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my Sigma .40 for years and never any problems with it at all other than it isn't very practical for carry.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I am wanting a Beretta or Hk USP but with my birthday coming up Nov. 2 I dont have time to get enough money to get a Hk or Beretta so I guess I have to go with what I can afford and hes only wanting $175 which is easily in my price range. I know your going to say save up till you have enough but being a student that wont be for a while and when I do graduate hopefully money wont be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
For that price, I'd get it.  But, you should know that you are going to be frustrated with it.  It is a serious POS, but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Also carry wont be a issue since Kansas doesnt allow us to protect our selves like most other states It will be mostly for my night stand or plinking at the farm
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh...Glock N Wesson.

It's my own personal bias.  I think they are ugly as sin.  A blatant rip off.  Mag-disconnect safeties are for morons.

I did however shoot one.  It went bang, steel went "piiing".  Guess it works.

$175 though...that ain't bad.  If I saw one for $175, I'd probably buy it, just so I could say I have one in the safe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Owned one for a couple of years.  Liked it a lot.  Fed and extracted every type of ammo I put through it with zero problems.  Sold it to a friend because I wanted to upgrade to a .45.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a CZ52 or Makarov instead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
i have one in 9mm. it has gone through over 2,000 rounds wolf,pmc,and speer gold dots without a failure. the trigger is not great but it is 100% reliable. my friend has one in .40 s&w (old style) and it is not very reliable with most brands of ammo. i would ask to shoot it before you buy it. for $175 you are not out much but i feel uneasy about guns with price tags that low.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems like you either think they are ok or a pos but sounds like most of you would agree that the price is fair. Like I said I have never shot one but have handled several glocks do they operate with the same style of system?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes..they operate very much like a glock...which is why glock sued them.

I won't go so far as to say they are a POS, as I never owned one long enough to make that judgement.  I just think they are ugly as hell.

The one I shot (only ran a couple of mags through it) was realiable and fairly accurate.

For 175 bucks, it beats keeping a brick on your nightstand.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I could get a cz or mak but am wanting something stainless, I like the idea of having plenty of hi cap mags, I like the price and availability of .40 plus I dont think the little maks have the knock down power I am wanting
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I could get a cz or mak but am wanting something stainless, I like the idea of having plenty of hi cap mags, I like the price and availability of .40 plus I dont think the little maks have the knock down power I am wanting

Makarov = JUNK / POS / WALLHANGER

Plus, it's a shitty caliber.

Buy the Sigma.  Shoot it, enjoy it.  Keep it to teach some hot chick how to shoot.  Or, sell it as soon as you can buy what you really want.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I  own two Sigmas. Both 40cal. They are reliable handguns. I have never had a jam with one. As far as accuracy is concerned my Berreta 92 was more accurate. For a self defense type handgun the Sigma is plenty accurate enough. You cannt beat the price either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I  own two Sigmas. Both 40cal. They are reliable handguns. I have never had a jam with one. As far as accuracy is concerned my Berreta 92 was more accurate. For a self defense type handgun the Sigma is plenty accurate enough. You cannt beat the price either.

Since the S&W Sigma 40 is a copy of the Glock, does the Sigma have the same unsusported case head problem the Glock 40s have?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:10:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hate mag safeties!

Sgatr15

+1

Stealing the Glock design and then adding a mag safety to it is truly stupid.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Smocks! Not a bad gun, has a better ergo grip than a Glock so if you are a woman or have woman hands, it's a good choice. It has a 12lb trigger pull, nothing can be done about it. They need to break in, don't be surprised if you get FTF's during the first 500 rnds on a new gun. Not made as well as a Glock but can't expect that for the price difference. Design concept is similar to a Glock but it ain't no Glock. All in all, for the money it can't be beat. My wife has one, 9VE, simply because the grip fits her better than the G19, she shoots both. Better than a Llama or a Lorcin or a Makarov etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I had one in 9mm.  I bought it because it was a reasonable price.  The trigger is horrible.
Take that birthday money and put it somewhere you won't touch it and wait until you can afford something else.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The Sigma is basically a Glock with a better grip and a cheaper prick. The Sigma cost what a Glock should cost if people were not stupid enough to pay high dollar for Glock.

They work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I've put many rounds through the Sigma 9 and the 40.  Both go bang, the trigger's heavier than the Glock.  No problem with either Sigma (no to be confused with the even-cheaper Sigma .380).  My preference is the Glock (which I carry), but for $175, I'd happily add the Sigma 40 to my collection.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I love it when people comment on a subject they know nothing about.  Sigmas don't have magazine safeties.  

That said, Sigmas suck.  I'm amazed S&W is still making them.  We've had frequent problems with parts breakage.  Not as durable as a Glock--specifically, the slide lock spring, the trigger return spring, the recoil spring assemblies.  Several had FTF issues until ramps were polished.

That said, I agree with the person who said it beats a brick on the nightstand.  I'd buy my ex-duty pistol (replaced with a Glock I purchased with own funds) for $175 just to lend to someone if SHTF.

Glenn R.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I cant stand sigma's.
My friend on the other hand has had his .40 for about 5 years and loves it.
For $175 I'd buy it and I hate them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Gun snobs will laugh at you. If you can deal with that, get it. Super value at $175. I used to have one, but sold it. It fits the same nich as most "duty" guns. accurate enough and very reliable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love it when people comment on a subject they know nothing about.  Sigmas don't have magazine safeties.  

That said, Sigmas suck.  I'm amazed S&W is still making them.  We've had frequent problems with parts breakage.  Not as durable as a Glock--specifically, the slide lock spring, the trigger return spring, the recoil spring assemblies.  Several had FTF issues until ramps were polished.

That said, I agree with the person who said it beats a brick on the nightstand.  I'd buy my ex-duty pistol (replaced with a Glock I purchased with own funds) for $175 just to lend to someone if SHTF.

Glenn R.

That's why it says CAUTION CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED on the magazine!

Uglier than a Glock? To me the Glock is one of the ugliest pistols out there, to each his own.

SIGMAS seem to be a love them or hate them situation, nothing in between. Seems to be a lot of posters saying bad things about them that have no real experience with them by parroting internet drivel. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I think I was wrong once.

For that money you can't go wrong. Try it, you might like it, if not sell it and buy something else when you have the funds.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I carry a Glock every day.  That being said, I've got two Sigmas, both police trade-ins with night-sights and full-capacity mags (they were excellent bargains, IMO).  I haven't shot them nearly as much as my Glocks, but neither one has given me any problems and both do duty for me as glovebox guns.  I trust them.  YMMV.

ETA:  FWIW, I've heard horror stories about S&W's customer service, too - but my experiences were 100% positive.  I've had to return two handguns to S&W (I own many) - a 317 that locked up, which they replaced with a brand new 317; and a SW380 that simply would not feed/eject/etc., which was out-of-production & they replaced it with a (more expensive) brand new model 910 (after contacting me first to make sure that the swap would be acceptable to me).  I have no complaints.  Again, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm surprised to see all of the positive reviews here.

I've never owned a Sigma, but I had read many articles about their poor quality - actually being compared to Raven and Jennings.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Huh?  Did you get a bad one?  I've never had one fail to go bang.  Damn fine glove box gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#31]
i own a .40 sigma and using a wide variety of ammo, it has never malfunctioned. accuracy is nothing to rave about (mine shoots a little low), but not bad for $225. the sigma stigma is from the older models. the newer ones work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm surprised to see all of the positive reviews here.

I've never owned a Sigma, but I had read many articles about their poor quality - actually being compared to Raven and Jennings.

I've read many articles on the Sigmas as well.  I would bet that the articles that compare the Sigma to the Raven and Jennings are referring to the Sigma .380 which is an entirely different gun than the Sigma 9 and 40.  The .380 really was comparable to the Jennings, but the 9 and 40 are pretty much rough copies of the Glock with a tougher trigger.  I haven't put 1/10th the rounds through either of my Sigmas that I've put through my Glock, but neither Sigma has given me a single problem.  I prefer to carry the Glock, but the Sigmas have been just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Wasn't there an issue with felt being involved in the trigger system? The felt would get soaked with cleaner or oil and the trigger spring would break?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  Did you get a bad one?  I've never had one fail to go bang.  Damn fine glove box gun.

The quality of Makarovs varies wildly according to country of origin.  I have an East German one that I bought new when they first came over for $135.  Best made pistol I've ever had, perfect fit and finish.  The heel catch mag release kind of kills it as a serious defense pistol, but I've never had problems with it.  Some friends of mine had some Russian ones, not as well finished as the EG, but still worked well.  Never heard much about the Bulgarians.  Now, the Chinese ones I've heard are junk.  Looked at some at the shows and had the typical shitty fit and finish.  Never knew anyone who had one to speak to the function of them but they looked rough.

The East German ones are essentially an updated Walther PP, made in the former Walther factory.  I like them better than the Walther due to a lighter (but SUPER spongy) trigger.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Alright I decided to go ahead and get it I found it on the EE he was only wanting $175 but that was for a person to person trade after talking to him we aggreed on $200 shipped which is fair to me since shipping must go overnight. My ffl then charges another $20 for the transfer but I have a feeling he might not charge me since I have been giving him alot of buisness and it is my birthday. Anyways the total is gonna come to $200 or $220 if my ffl charges me. He said the gun was for home defense only and only has about 200 rounds through it so Im guessing its still in like new condition he is also including the two factory 10 round mags and a fobus holster. What do you guys think I know most people aggreed $175 is a fair deal but what about $220 this is the newer model with the rail and stainless two tone finish.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#38]
If you want an affordable, RELIABLE, well made pistol, consider a S&W 915/910 (9mm) or 410 (40S&W).

They are well designed, well made, affordable handgun that owes nothing to any other design (except JMB, but all do).

Mine has been flawless over nearly 1000 rounds of 9 mm ammo of all brands, bullet types, and velocities.

Not sexy, but it is American made and gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Also for those who have a sigma have you ever shot wolf through it. I know lots of people bitch about wolf quality but for plinking out at the farm Im not needing anything fancy and like the price of wolf.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd pay that much for a newer model one, never for the older ones. All the reports I heard were the older ones were the problems, the newer ones are improved.

But I'd take a hard look at CDNN for trade in guns before I bought an inexpensive handgun.

You can get a SigPro in .40 from CDNN right now... and that's only $289 plus $10 shipping.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn I forgot all about CDNN Im guessing they still have their downloadable catalog I will keep that in mind for the future but as of now Im already commited to the Sigma but figure at worse I will be out $220 which I should be able to get close to that much back if its not the right gun for me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate mag safeties!

Sgatr15

+1

Stealing the Glock design and then adding a mag safety to it is truly stupid.

I have two pre-agreement Sigma's. One in 9mm, and the other in 40 S&W. They are both great guns, and both have over 10,000 rounds through them and are still going strong. Also Sigma's don't have mag safeties!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top