Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2001 3:48:58 PM EDT
well i told yall that i decided to go with the trailside over the browning buckmark.  well i've put some ammo through the trailside and here's what i've found.

i have a plinker 4 1/2" model with the fixed sights and black polymer basic grips.

the accuracy is pretty good.  i've shot it at 25 yards with open sights.  the sights are right on, but at 25 yards the target is sort of small to see with the naked eye.  i might have to throw optics on it to see what she can really do.  with federal gold match ammo the gun will shoot as good as i can see.

reliability has sort of been a problem.  with the way the mag feed there have been several time that the slide has failed to pick up the next round.  i had to failures to fire.  i cleared the chamber and the next round fired, but in the high grass i couldn't see if the fireing pin dented the rim or not.  so i've been modisty disappointed in this respect (i think the buckmark might have been better here).

the finnish of the gun is fair, not up to hammerli standards.  the machinig is sort of rough in spot and there are very minor blemishes that i missed at the gun show, but have now noticed.

where the trailside shines is with its size and shape.  it is a light 28 oz.  the barrel is very slim and compact (fits into the little pocket in my blue jeans just perfectly).  the grip melts into your hand the sights are just perfect (line up like a dream).  the balance and pointability is just awesome.  so it is a real winner in this arena.  

all and all, okay gun.  better then the rugers i've shot, i don't know if i'd say its all that much better than the buckmark.  i'm pleased (since its new i hope that a more extended brake in period will help with reliability).  

i paid $330 for her, which from what i've seen was a very good price on this gun.  i saw a buckmark camper for $230 i really liked too.  in retrospect, i think i might have opted for the buckmark if i had the same choice again.  but i do not regret getting the trailside.  the size, weight and shape of the gun (not to mention the look) are enough to make me happy.  sloth
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I've have had the exact same gun for about 1 1/2 years now and have been fairly pleased with it.  I topped it with a Leupold/Gilmore reddot and compete in 50-yd. silhouette matches with it.  I haven't won yet, but getting close.  I also have an occasional stovepipe/FTE, but this is pretty common with most .22 lr pistols in my opinion.  My two big complaints are the cheapo sights, and the trigger, which is supposed to be adjustable, but is bear to do so.  Is it worth $350 dollars?  Maybe, maybe not.  My next gun will be a Ruger Competition Mark II, so I'll have something to measure against.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top