Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 4:22:09 PM EDT
Has there been? Seems like it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The recent ones I have seen have been weather related.

This time of year is foggy and low clouds type of flying.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
darn gravity, strong sumbitch that gravity

yeah, seems like it to me too
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It will probably only get worse. The only airline not in bankruptcy right now is SouthWest I believe. The rising concern about lowering costs to produce higher profits has caused places to go closer to the minimum requirements that need to be met when it comes to airline maintenance and staffing.

As far as privately owned aircraft and pilots such as today's tragic event? No clue. It's still so much safer to fly than to drive...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Statistics clearly show the Airplanes are the safest way for man to fly.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Blame  Bush, it's his fault
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It will probably only get worse. The only airline not in bankruptcy right now is SouthWest I believe. The rising concern about lowering costs to produce higher profits has caused places to go closer to the minimum requirements that need to be met when it comes to airline maintenance and staffing.

I am not even going to mention the quiet push by airlines to outsource their maintenance to "FAA approved shops" in Mexico, and several Cenr. American countries.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Statistics clearly show the Airplanes are the safest way for man to fly.

SGatr15

Yeah I hear getting places by cannon and rockets-shoved-up-the-ass travel are doing horrible when it comes to safety concerns, whatever will the NTSB do.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
No - it's a media thing.
You only hear about the accidents that the public might care about.
Overall the aircraft accident rate has been quite flat, see for yourself:
www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm taking flying lessons, seems like a controlled crash every time I land, haven' t torn any wheels off yet though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
How about the two Russian jets that crashed within a few minutes of each other?  Any more news on them?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not even going to mention the quiet push by airlines to outsource their maintenance to "FAA approved shops" in Mexico, and several Cenr. American countries.  

If this happens people will die, the planes will be serviced in the US again, and it will be like normal again. Except for the dead people.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Crashes happen, its life. What has changed is media coverage of them. Nothing more than normal life in the flying industry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The root of the problem is that there are more planes in the air.  Also more older planes are still flying.  I took a NWA flight and went abroad a DC9 and you could see the repairs that had been made to the body.  Patches that had been riveted on.  Duct tape on one of the leading edges/ deicer boot of a Contential Ember 120.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The government will just tell you that it's an internal explosion in the fuel tank.  No missiles were ever fired at it!!

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How about the two Russian jets that crashed within a few minutes of each other?  Any more news on them?

Uh, that was terrorism, dude...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
On a related note, anyone catch the slight coverage of a body being found in the wheel well of a large plane that landed in the northern US recently?

The man had coins from the Dominican republic in a pocket and the plane originated from Miami, seems he died due to low levels of Oxygen at 30000 feet (duh).

Now, if a Dominican can get into a plane, so can certain members of the ROP.... TSA, your'e doing a DAMN FINE Job!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Panzer congrats on taking flying lessons man flying is awesome.

ARDOC just keep in mind the repairs done to airplanes opperated for hire such as the NWA and Contenental express planes must be done in accordance to FAA regulations so they are safe to fly. Now on the other hand I flew an airplane once as a student pilot that had duct take on the landing gear strut always joked about how I would never fly that plane again, but it was just there because they didnt have a rubber boot to replace it
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm taking flying lessons, seems like a controlled crash every time I land, haven' t torn any wheels off yet though.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing where you can use the aircraft again is phucking fantastic!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The root of the problem is that there are more planes in the air.  Also more older planes are still flying.  I took a NWA flight and went abroad a DC9 and you could see the repairs that had been made to the body.  Patches that had been riveted on.  Duct tape 200+mph tape on one of the leading edges/ deicer boot of a Contential Ember 120.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree most likely the repairs are fine. But its unnerving when the plane is older then you are.  I always check the door plates on the planes and you can see how old they are.  You can see the door seals that are starting to fall apart and small cracks in the windows where the little holes are.  Its like old cars and they most likely will never crash but its scary.  Especially since you have no control over the situation other then not flying.

Even private planes have maintance problems and pilot errors.  Look at todays crash and that of Paine Stewart, JFK jr.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Aircraft age is always a bit unnerving. I have flown a couple airplanes older than my parents...However, proper maintainence does wonders. I think it is unforunate that the FAA has placed so much rigid regulation on the industry. A new C172 Skyhawk is the same as a 1960, but with better interiors and avionics. A flat 4, air cooled pushrod motor? A GA aircraft has a VW bug motor. Its pathetic really. Buying a new GA trainer/aircraft is like buying a new 1940 ford, in 2004.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Aircraft age is always a bit unnerving. I have flown a couple airplanes older than my parents...However, proper maintainence does wonders. I think it is unforunate that the FAA has placed so much rigid regulation on the industry. A new C172 Skyhawk is the same as a 1960, but with better interiors and avionics. A flat 4, air cooled pushrod motor? A GA aircraft has a VW bug motor. Its pathetic really. Buying a new GA trainer/aircraft is like buying a new 1940 ford, in 2004.

Yeah except the price is a heck of alot more now for the aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The root of the problem is that there are more planes in the air.  Also more older planes are still flying.  I took a NWA flight and went abroad a DC9 and you could see the repairs that had been made to the body.  Patches that had been riveted on.  Duct tape on one of the leading edges/ deicer boot of a Contential Ember 120.

Doc are you for real? Duct tape on a friggin plane?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I've always said they come in 3's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, and this is statistically predicted to continue increasing.  And there is a predicted breaking point.

I'm an Embry-Riddle Safety grad, trust me.

Gotta go............
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#29]
planes drop from the sky
people disappear and bullets fly

little green men are comming your way
tastes just like chicken, they say

actually, they're all around
in secret bunkers underground

round em up, skin em alive
rollin, rollin, rollin, RAWHIDE!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#30]
There has been a rise.  Probably low wx related to the time of year.  Pinnicle RJ with Dual engine failure? wtf!     Corporate air J32 in MO.  Kingair 200 in West Va.  Probably not terrorists, unless they are being very sneaky about the timing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top