Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 12:05:14 PM EDT
Alright then,
I just moved last week and I need a new cell phone plan.  Now, I don't use the thing alot, mainly just for "honey, I'm on my way home, see you in an hour", type of stuff.  I previously had AT&T and I guess it was fine.  What all do you recommend?

R
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
verizon
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It all depends on where you live. Around here, Cingular is the best by far, Verizon is terrible, and Sprint is even worse.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My neck of the woods is Cingular.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Verizon is the best in SoCal
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok,
Anyone know what's the best cell service DuJour in the MD/DC/NoVa area?

R
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Cingular and Verizon just mergered.
Was announced Friday.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not have a regular phone so my cell phone must work reliably.  I use cingular.  1000 minutes w/ rollover for $40/month.  

Be forewarned: If you credit sucks, they want you to pay a hefty deposit.  As in like $750.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Was announced Friday.

I'm sure you meant Cingular and AT&T, 41 Billion dollar price tag.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was announced Friday.

Yep, Cingular and AT&T.

If they merged with Verizon too...well, I'd think they'd be getting close to being an illegal monopoly
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Nextel in North FLA and it should be called Next to Nuthin'
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ok,

R

I am in need of this as well, so far Cingular sucks for us.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It depends on where you are.

Very true.  But, in MOST places Verizon is the best. No question about it. Trust me. I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I sold cell phones for 6 years.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok,

R

As far as I've researched, Verizon has the best coverage here, but Cingular has, by FAR, the best rates, and the best family plan, and still excellent coverage. If you get the family plan, calls between you and others on the plan use zero minutes. So, as you might be able to tell, we went with Cingular.

And you WILL end up using it more than you think.

Go Cingular.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was announced Friday.

Yep, Cingular and AT&T.

If they merged with Verizon too...well, I'd think they'd be getting close to being an illegal monopoly

I'm sure too.
Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok,

R

As far as I've researched, Verizon has the best coverage here, but Cingular has, by FAR, the best rates, and the best family plan, and still excellent coverage. If you get the family plan, calls between you and others on the plan use zero minutes. So, as you might be able to tell, we went with Cingular.

Go Cingular.

Going with the cheaper minutes instead of the better coverage can be a huge mistake. Make sure the phone will work where you need it to first. When you are with people ask what service they have and whether they are getting signal or not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything but AT&T. Worst customer service I've ever seen. And horrible phone covereage as well.

After 11 months of using AT&T Wireless, I truly hate AT&T and everything about them. I will now avoid Cingular.

So far, T-Mobile has been great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Verizon in N.J.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I have ATT now but, Iam getting Nextel
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ok,

R

verizon supposedly has the best coverage in this area.  they setup special deals with metro and other places to allow them to run signal lines into traffic and metro tunnels.

personally i use sprint. alot of people badmouth them but i dont have a problem with them. they were cheapest and had the coverage i needed 5 years ago.

-foxxz
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Verizon has the absolute best coverage nationwide - I'm talking in orders of magnitude over any other.

However, unless you are a truck driver or live a vagrant lifestyle like me, that may not be worth the price to you.

For your stated purposes, stick with what works best in your area.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Not Sprint - I repeat NOT Sprint - and I live within 10 miles of their world headquarters
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Nextel up here for me.  Had a T-Mobile a few years ago and dropped it, I didn't get coverage where I lived.  Haven't had a problem yet with Nextel.

Go for a one year contract if you can.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife and I have tried Cingular, Alltel, Sprint and now Verizon.........the common trait among them all is that THEIR SERVICE SUCKS!!!!

We've had too many dropped calls, Roaming charges when we have National Plans, and just shitty reception.

My friends in Europe have excellent service and reception.

So much for American Technological Superiority........
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Was announced Friday.

No. That is wrong. It was Cingular and AT&T.

(Just saw that other people said that )
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It all depends on where you live. Around here, Cingular is the best by far, Verizon is terrible, and Sprint is even worse.

+1
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Nextel here, I haven't had too many problems with my new phone(i315).  If you choose to go with Nextel, DO NOT get the i530...that thing is the closest to an "oops" that I've seen since that Kyocera KB'd in that girl's pocket a few months ago.Terrible signal, dropped calls, and shoddy construction. So far, that's the only one I've heard of people having a problem with(I'm sure there are others...Nextel uses Motorola phones exclusively, and Motorola QC has gone waaaaay downhill in recent years).
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in the DC metro area, and I must say....Verizon is the best.  I had AT&T for a year and it sucked.  I couldn't get decent signal in my house.  With Verizon, I get great signal everywhere.

toast
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Verizon
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Cingular GSM is great here, and anywhere else ive been in the country. and yes they're buying out ATT so they are the biggest in town now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#31]
+1 for Verizon in the DC Metro Area. I've ranged from Fredricksburg, VA to Emmitsburg, MD and I usually always have a signal - maybe a few dead zones based on geography.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Sprint PCS.

So far, so good...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a very narrow reason for saying T-Mobile.  My wife and I were taking a vacation to London GB and they "unlocked" the phone for use in England.  In and around Phila., PA the service is OK.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok,

R

Go Cingular.

I droped nextell since it sucked and went on the Mrs. Cingular plan since it was less exspensive and had the "family plan", please give me back a better cell carrier.

Going with the cheaper minutes instead of the better coverage can be a huge mistake. Make sure the phone will work where you need it to first. When you are with people ask what service they have and whether they are getting signal or not.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have ATT now but, Iam getting Nextel

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey, Rich. Long time.

We (wifey and moi) just went with Verizon after we moved to VA. Switched from Sprint, mainly because of some really good reports from her co-workers. Much better reception (esp in the Metro) and the plan was alot cheaper and we get one bill for both the wireless and the home service.

Hope your doing O.K. Been up to Hap Baker recently?

Later,
Scott
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I moved to East Texas recently.  When I was in Dallas, I changed from AT&T to T-Mobile because they promised me good coverage in East Texas and would allow my son in the diff AC to be added for only a 10 spot per month.

The lying sacks of shit!  T-Mobile is useless in East Texas.  When I called to complain and get out of my contract because of lack of service, they told me that they didn't promise coverage in all areas.  I told them that I couldn't dependable get a signal in Tyler, Texas, a town of 85,000.  I mean, I can't even get a signal in my apartment complex parking lot, let alone in my apartment.  It will cost me a total of $400 to drop their sorry asses.

I'm back with AT&T.  Their coverage is outstanding and their customer service is okay by me.

T-Mobile is scum.  Don't go with them.  They are friggin' scum.  They are in league with the Devil and kill puppies for fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Verizon here, outstanding signal most everywhere, and there's only one smallish area of roaming in the places that i regularly travel within the state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Scott,
Naw, I haven't been to Hap Baker for a while.  Wife and I got jobs teaching in Oxon Hill and just moved to Brandywine, so I'm looking for a closer place to shoot (to no avail).  Hopefully, we'll be moving to NoVa either next year or the year after that.

Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top